Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Jets searching for Tannenbaum replacement

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    My bad

I meant Tom Gamble
    Ah.

Jets Insider VIP
    IMO I don't think the kind of GM we need to get this thing back on track will want Mike Tannenbaum hanging around in any capacity.

It's time to set Bradway and Tannebaum free and start fresh. And possibly any other dead weight in the player personnel department.

I don’t care who gets the GM position so long as he’s experienced.
    Please Woody, don’t hire a first-timer.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    IMO I don't think the kind of GM we need to get this thing back on track will want Mike Tannenbaum hanging around in any capacity.

It's time to set Bradway and Tannebaum free and start fresh. And possibly any other dead weight in the player personnel department.
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Fire everyone and Make Marty Schottenheimer the GM and head of football operations.
    That would be the day I quit as a Jet fan. I can see it now Marty as GM, and Schotty as the HC.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is the problem with Tanny - he's not a true NFL FO lifer - he's a Jet lifer. This guy didn't make his bones all around the NFL like some other GMs did, he worked his way up the wrungs of the Jets FO by being a super hard worker and intelligent guy and demonstrated that he had the ability to make decisions. Those are all admirable traits and Tanny is certainly a formidable guy, but what he's not is a true football guy. While I'm sure he has picked up a tremendous amount from being around the Jets over the past 15 years, he has a lack of understanding of the X and Os of the game more so than probably any other GM in the game.

He was brought in to be an Executive who would be advised by his various different underlings. That scenario could work in certain circumstances, but you need to have a really strong FO to suppport that Exec. At the end of the day, when it comes to Football decisions, Tanny is ill equipped to make a decision on his own - his decisions necessarily come down to which guy he trusts more, because everyone on his Personnel staff is more competent than he is.

So, when it comes down to potentially replacing the Jets GM, its telling (but not particularly surprising) that the word on the street is that Tanny would be staying on in a lesser role. Think about how strange that is if you apply to another team. Tanny was in charge of the entire football operations, from soup to nuts, now will be in charge of managing the cap (Ari Nissam's job)? If that is indeed the case, we really had the wrong guy in this role. Bradway was not truly fit for the job, but at least he was able to return to a role that fit with the core competency of what a FO guy should be - a talent evaluator. The problem was, he didn't like the long hours, the long commute and didn't have the absolute dedication to be a successful GM. Still a good talent evaluator though.

A true GM would be leaving town in search of another job with another organization with the plan of returning to a GM position in the not so distant future. The fact that Tanny is being talked about as staying here, and in reality couldn't find another high level job anywhere around the league (unlike Joey Clinkscales) points to the fact that he was not truly a proper GM to start with, much as I think he did a decent enough job.

Tanny should be elevated to something along the lines of President of the Jets, but Neil Glat took over that role last year. I have no idea what he is doing specifically or whether he is good at it, but I presume they won't ask him to step aside merely because they are looking to replace Tanny.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tanny took a high level position at the NFL either. Don't need to be a talent evaluator for that and he now knows his way around the high level league circles.

I kind of liked the idea of the Jets moving away from traditional football guys to try and build the program and use an accountant lawyer to try and give us an edge in utilizing the cap. Now it's time to outsource our entire draft to a Computer Science class based in India.

Hall Of Fame
    I wish we would just clean house. Makes me think we are not bringing in a top notch GM candidate bc we are keeping around these guys.

If the new GM wants to keep Tanny around then fine but it seems to me like Woody is taking Tanny into consideration while choosing the new GM and I think that is not the way to go.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

+1.

I couldnt agree more. Tannys future should not be taken into consideration. Let the new GM decide Tannys fate.

They are making Tanny out to be a vital cog. WTF has he ever won?

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    That would be the day I quit as a Jet fan. I can see it now Marty as GM, and Schotty as the HC.
    WTF? Why? Because as a coach he choked in the big games? what the hell does that have to do with building a team. With personnel control he built the Browns and the Chiefs into perennial playoff contenders. The teams he built averaged over 10 wins a season. And he done it in small markets without a big payroll. His coaching totally turned around the Chargers.

This is a football man, who has built teams and coached coached teams to a high level of performance. When he calls on the people that he has worked with and against for 30 years and get recommendations for Scouts and pro personnel people he will have favors returned to him. He knows what it takes to lead a locker room and he will find a HC and a GM. Woody tells him no nepotism- but the rest is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    +1.

I couldnt agree more. Tannys future should not be taken into consideration. Let the new GM decide Tannys fate.

Tanny is a very good cap guy, just not a personnel type.

It could turn out to be a toxic FO if the GM does not get along with Tanny. It's always possible. But this would be the best of both worlds if they could live together. Tanny was always a great capologist and keeping his talent in that capacity is a home run for the organization.

A new GM is probably what is best for the New York Jets.

Anyone, however, suggesting that Bradway gets fired is a moron. That decision should be up to the new GM. To suggest the guy gets fired when he's done so much good for the organization? When he decided his own fate and accepted a demotion from GM? When he has always lived quietly and harmoniously with his replacement?

DUMB.

If the new GM decides that he wants to bring in his own guys, then fine, that's one thing. But to decide the fate of a guy everyone knows so little about is FAR over the top.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    WTF? Why? Because as a coach he choked in the big games? what the hell does that have to do with building a team. With personnel control he built the Browns and the Chiefs into perennial playoff contenders. The teams he built averaged over 10 wins a season. And he done it in small markets without a big payroll. His coaching totally turned around the Chargers.

This is a football man, who has built teams and coached coached teams to a high level of performance. When he calls on the people that he has worked with and against for 30 years and get recommendations for Scouts and pro personnel people he will have favors returned to him. He knows what it takes to lead a locker room and he will find a HC and a GM. Woody tells him no nepotism- but the rest is up to you.
    I like you and i don't even mind that u are a stinking Pats Fan.You understand Football and u make sense. That's hard to find sometimes around here.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Nonsense. The media is this way because Rex asked for it, and Woody obliged. The media was not like this ever under Mangini, Parcells, even Herm. when your coach guarantees superbowls, insists he will meet the president soon, declares they are the front page team in the area only to watch the Giants win 2 SB's, gets embarrassed for having men suck his wife's toes while slamming her, etc etc etc.... The media is going to pay closer attention because all people love to watch a trainwreck, and Rex most certainly is one.
    This is right and every NFL GM and coach candidate understands that. Which is why I believe if Tanny goes I can't imagine Rex staying. Any GM worth anything will know the first thing they have to do is clean up the circus, stop the leaks and get his house in order. You can't do that with Rex as HC.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It wasn't the pass protection Coach.

It was a JAG QB with a weak arm who not only couldn't make the throws to open men, he didn't know who he should be throwing it to, didn't know how to trow it away, and was statue-like in the pocket most of the game, totally overwhelmed by the differences between College talent (which he supposedly had) and NFL talent (which he clearly does not have).

You know, alot like Mark Sanchez with a much weaker arm and less experience.Dump the lot, #1, #2 and #3. The only thing this team truly needs to rebuild is the QB position, top to bottom.
    Funny, he still played a hell of a lot better than Mark Sanchez and that was only his first start. I believe Sanchez has started for 4 YEARS!!!

Also, was it his fault the plays never called for him to roll out? And I thought his arm strength was much better than I anticipated it to be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The Jets are currently in cap hell.

Please explain to me how Tanny is a very good cap guy.

His magic wand doesn't work anymore.

If he's still here, I assure you that some very good GM candidates will take themselves out of consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I like you and i don't even mind that u are a stinking Pats Fan.You understand Football and u make sense. That's hard to find sometimes around here.
    Let Pats fan worry about their own team. Once that fraud, Belicheat, is exposed after Tammy leaves, then NE can hire Marty. Jets should want nothing to do with these retreads.

Once again, why not look at a young executive from an organization that has succeeded at talent evaluating the past 5 years instead of guys who are locked into a philosophy they adopted about 30 years ago? The game has changed.

For example, GB. Took Rogers late in the 1st round and, here's the key, developed him even though Farve was still on the roster. When they needed to shore up that defense, selected Clay Matthews. Not to mention the other players on the roster they acquired in the 5, 6 and 7th rounds in recent drafts. That's what we need. Of course, GB is not the only team -- Balt, SF, NYG, ouston, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It could turn out to be a toxic FO if the GM does not get along with Tanny. It's always possible. But this would be the best of both worlds if they could live together. Tanny was always a great capologist and keeping his talent in that capacity is a home run for the organization.

A new GM is probably what is best for the New York Jets.

Anyone, however, suggesting that Bradway gets fired is a moron. That decision should be up to the new GM. To suggest the guy gets fired when he's done so much good for the organization? When he decided his own fate and accepted a demotion from GM? When he has always lived quietly and harmoniously with his replacement?

DUMB.

If the new GM decides that he wants to bring in his own guys, then fine, that's one thing. But to decide the fate of a guy everyone knows so little about is FAR over the top.
    Can you give us evidence of the "good" that Bradway has provided the organization and weigh it against the bad and convince us morons that you are indeed Carnac the Magnificent?

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This is right and every NFL GM and coach candidate understands that. Which is why I believe if Tanny goes I can't imagine Rex staying. Any GM worth anything will know the first thing they have to do is clean up the circus, stop the leaks and get his house in order. You can't do that with Rex as HC.
    And i think he stays as the new GM is not going to want to straddle his guy with the mess that the 2013 team most likely will be. He is going to want his guy to come in clean and to a team with no salary cap issues and no locker room issues. This way the only way to go is up.