Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Jets searching for Tannenbaum replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The Jets are currently in cap hell.

Please explain to me how Tanny is a very good cap guy.

His magic wand doesn't work anymore.

If he's still here, I assure you that some very good GM candidates will take themselves out of consideration.
    He was made out to be some sort of boy wonder years ago because he mortgaged the future. Many of the smarter people on this board knew it was happening.

It made it seem smart because the Jets seemed to have done a lot. Most quality GM's could do the same but DON't, because they understand consistency is the most important thing when dealing with talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Tanny is a very good cap guy, just not a personnel type.
    People over rate the ability of Tanny to manage the cap. They seem to think he is able to do things or come up with solutions that no other GM can come up with, and it is simply false. His whole claim to fame was coming up with the poison pill contract for Curtis Martin. Other than that what has he REALLY done that was so creative or innovative that he is so invaluable to keep him around?

Look around the league and see what other teams have in terms of cap space for next year and then look at the Jets and see the talent level of the team and what they are paying and then tell me he is a "cap guru".

The Jets are currently in cap hell.

Please explain to me how Tanny is a very good cap guy.

His magic wand doesn't work anymore.

If he's still here, I assure you that some very good GM candidates will take themselves out of consideration.
    Jordy,

I read somewhere on this site yesterday that the Jets being in cap hell is overstated. If they were to cut a few players -- IIRC, Scott, Moore, Pace, and I can't remember the others, it will save $28 million next year.

Your concluding paragraph is very valid.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Jordy,

I read somewhere on this site yesterday that the Jets being in cap hell is overstated. If they were to cut a few players -- IIRC, Scott, Moore, Pace, and I can't remember the others, it will save $28 million next year.

His point is very valid. Even with those cuts the Jets will have little money to replace a lot of players.

All League
    Ah.
    Look, let's just face the facts. The only reason Woody is doing this is because Tanny and Rex are still under contract. It's all about the $$. He doesn't want to pay two guys for the same job. Makes sense in the corporate world. Just doesn't make sense if your goal is to build a SB team.

All Pro
    Let Pats fan worry about their own team. Once that fraud, Belicheat, is exposed after Tammy leaves, then NE can hire Marty. Jets should want nothing to do with these retreads.

Once again, why not look at a young executive from an organization that has succeeded at talent evaluating the past 5 years instead of guys who are locked into a philosophy they adopted about 30 years ago? The game has changed.

For example, GB. Took Rogers late in the 1st round and, here's the key, developed him even though Farve was still on the roster. When they needed to shore up that defense, selected Clay Matthews. Not to mention the other players on the roster they acquired in the 5, 6 and 7th rounds in recent drafts. That's what we need. Of course, GB is not the only team -- Balt, SF, NYG, ouston, etc.

The Jets need a football man who knows how to build a team and someone with credibility. All these hotshots being mentioned are working under someone just like Pteeine is working under Rex Ryan.

Marty knows football players, knows the league and more importantly knows
    how to coach the players and what it takes to motivate the players. I have no idea why you think a man that has never been a GM but has all the qualifications of a GM would be considered a retread.

What i do know is that this man is a football man. Exactly what the Jets need.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    His point is very valid. Even with those cuts the Jets will have little money to replace a lot of players.
    True. With those cuts, we have to find starters at both safety and Guard spots, both OLB spots, TE, and depth on the DL, ILB, and at OT.

And that brings us back to our biggest issue, we still need a QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Look, let's just face the facts. The only reason Woody is doing this is because Tanny and Rex are still under contract. It's all about the $$. He doesn't want to pay two guys for the same job. Makes sense in the corporate world. Just doesn't make sense if your goal is to build a SB team.
    Woody's fall from Forbes' "billlionaire list" may suggest that even his business acumen is questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Jets need a football man who knows how to build a team and someone with credibility. All these hotshots being mentioned are working under someone just like Pteeine is working under Rex Ryan.

Marty knows football players, knows the league and more importantly knows
    how to coach the players and what it takes to motivate the players. I have no idea why you think a man that has never been a GM but has all the qualifications of a GM would be considered a retread.

What i do know is that this man is a football man. Exactly what the Jets need.
    Sorry, I respectfully disagree. This football man label is being pushed by the mediots. Was the NYG's GM a football man (meaning he was a GM previously)? IMO, a football man is someone who can evaluate talent. The talent on the field is what wins. Yes, football is a big business. Therefore, make sure we have someone who can manage the cap -- Tanny or not.

I want someone in this position with a proven track record of success recently regarding talent evaluating. Marty, Parcells, Polian, don't make the cut as far as I am concerned. Furthermore, I want someone who will be here for the next decade plus. Not guys in their mid 60s who will be retiring soon, again.

People over rate the ability of Tanny to manage the cap. They seem to think he is able to do things or come up with solutions that no other GM can come up with, and it is simply false. His whole claim to fame was coming up with the poison pill contract for Curtis Martin. Other than that what has he REALLY done that was so creative or innovative that he is so invaluable to keep him around?

Look around the league and see what other teams have in terms of cap space for next year and then look at the Jets and see the talent level of the team and what they are paying and then tell me he is a "cap guru".
    His finding of the loophole that allowed players to be cut and charged back into the uncapped year if they were cut by a certain date was great. Only 5 or 6 GM type know of this an acted on it, (sadly the pats were not one)

The guy does have value and knows the cap,

Granted he took accolades when he should not have. If the media understood that Revis only gave a two year extension to his contract in return for that huge SB years before his contract would have expired he would have taken a huge hit. Most fans thought or at least i did was that if he opted out he had to pay back a proration of his SB, now we know he does not.

I think people call him a "cap guru" because that at least was his only apparent obvious skill as a GM. Player evaluation was never his strength. That said, he sucks at both at this point so remove him far far away from the team. In fact, ban him from the premises, get a restraining order, do whatever you have to do to make he never sets foot in the facilities ever again.

Jordy,

My definition of cap hell is when a team has to cut a productive player in order to get under the cap. The jets do not need to cut any productive (IMO) players to get under. The two Smiths, Pace, Scott, and Pouha will save 32 mill
    that will put them 12mill under the cap and when you figure in a 3 mill rollover from this years number you get 15 mill to play with, however about 6 of that will
    be earmarked to the rookies so now you have 9mill before you need to rework contracts. They certainly do not have enough money to sign Landry, Keller but they can hold on to Howard, one of the guards, Bell before the rest has to be divided up into ten vet min spots of 500,000 each.

Hall Of Fame
    My definition of cap hell is when a team has to cut a productive player in order to get under the cap. The jets do not need to cut any productive (IMO) players to get under. The two Smiths, Pace, Scott, and Pouha will save 32 mill
    that will put them 12mill under the cap and when you figure in a 3 mill rollover from this years number you get 15 mill to play with, however about 6 of that will
    be earmarked to the rookies so now you have 9mill before you need to rework contracts. They certainly do not have enough money to sign Landry, Keller but they can hold on to Howard, one of the guards, Bell before the rest has to be divided up into ten vet min spots of 500,000 each.
    It goes beyond that. It is also having huge money tied up in players that are not worth their cap figures.

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    By BRIAN COSTELLO
    Last Updated: 4:00 AM, December 25, 2012
    Posted: 11:54 PM, December 24, 2012
    Jets Blog

The Jets are already searching for general manager Mike Tannenbaum’s replacement, according to a report, but he still may stick around.

CBS reported yesterday the Jets have begun reaching out to potential GM candidates, one of which is reported to be Mike Maccagnan, the Texans’ director of college scouting, while also exploring ways to keep Tannenbaum in the organization in a different role.

The report said Jets owner Woody Johnson would like to keep Tannenbaum around as a salary-cap expert and contract negotiator.

According to league sources, such a move is highly unlikely. Many general managers have a clause in their contract preventing such a demotion. Also, people around the NFL are skeptical if anyone would take the GM job if Tannenbaum is still there. It will be hard to evaluate personnel and contract decisions with the guy who signed the contracts down the hall.

Johnson declined comment last week after the Titans game, saying he would speak to reporters after the season is over.

* A day after the Jets tied a franchise record by allowing 11 sacks, coach Rex Ryan was still trying to figure out what went wrong.

“That’s as poor as I can ever remember as far as the pass protection was concerned,” he said.

The Jets finished one sack shy of the NFL record and matched the team record, which was set Oct. 4, 1987 by a group of replacement players during the NFL strike.

“You get sacked 11 times there are a multiple of things,” Ryan said. “Yes, the offensive line, you can say that wasn’t up to our standards without question. The blitz protection, which we’ve done an outstanding job of with our backs, wasn’t as strong as what we’ve done in the past. Even the drops by Greg [McElroy] could have been a little cleaner.”

* Former Jets defensive lineman Trevor Bryce wrote a blog entry for the New York Times that said Ryan’s biggest shortcomings as a coach are that he is too loyal and too nice. Ryan responded yesterday.

“I think the world of Trevor,” Ryan said. “Am I loyal? Yeah, I think without question I am a loyal person. I think that’s a positive trait. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to be a nice person, as well. I think I’m plenty tough when it comes to making tough decisions.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...aGgpXwMijsID7J

Jets Insider VIP
    Sorry, I respectfully disagree. This football man label is being pushed by the mediots. Was the NYG's GM a football man (meaning he was a GM previously)? IMO, a football man is someone who can evaluate talent. The talent on the field is what wins. Yes, football is a big business. Therefore, make sure we have someone who can manage the cap -- Tanny or not.
    Why does a GM have to have been a GM previously? All GM's have been a first-time GM at some point. However, Jerry Reese had a fair amount of personnel evaluation experience prior to being hired as GM. He started as a scout in 1994. Did that for 11 years before becoming director of player personnel. He did that for 4 years before being named GM. That's worlds apart from Mike Tannenbaum. Not to mention Reese played college ball and was a college coach.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets
    I want someone in this position with a proven track record of success recently regarding talent evaluating. Marty, Parcells, Polian, don't make the cut as far as I am concerned. Furthermore, I want someone who will be here for the next decade plus. Not guys in their mid 60s who will be retiring soon, again.
    I completely agree with this. While I don't believe a new GM has to have necessarily been a GM previously, I also don't want a GM who is 69-71 years old as those 3 are and would rather have one who will be here for many years. Guys like Polian, Parcells or Shott may be utilized as "advisors," but nothing more.

Jets Insider VIP
    His finding of the loophole that allowed players to be cut and charged back into the uncapped year if they were cut by a certain date was great. Only 5 or 6 GM type know of this an acted on it, (sadly the pats were not one)

Fastforward and welcome to 2013 where most GM's are capable of doing what Tanny did in the past. Any innovative talent he may have had at one time is no longer unique in any way shape or form. He is dispensible.

Even though they'll be well under the cap, this will still be the worst cap position they've been in in years. They will need to acquire as many draft picks as possible (I'm hoping they end up with 10) to field a team next season considering they'll only have 9-10 million for 15-17 roster spots. We gotta hope that someone restructures to free up some money.

Jets Insider VIP
    They can't cut any productive players because most of them are being overpaid and have been given guaranteed money and would be huge cap hits if cut.

Not being able to keep Landry is a pretty big deal. We struggles for years to find a capable safety, finally get one and we can't keep him. It's just awful.

Granted he took accolades when he should not have. If the media understood that Revis only gave a two year extension to his contract in return for that huge SB years before his contract would have expired he would have taken a huge hit. Most fans thought or at least i did was that if he opted out he had to pay back a proration of his SB, now we know he does not.
    It really is sad Pats fan is the voice of reason around here of late.

patman is ok in my book, disagreements aside, good poster.