Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Report: Jets searching for Tannenbaum replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    A few points. Actually Tanny did not start with the Jets. He interned with the Saints while in law school and then worked for the Browns under Bellichik. That's where he met Mangini.

Actually the current trend in sports management is to have lawyers in executive roles. There are many successful GM's in many sports that did not work themselves up playing the game or in the grinds of lower management.

Tanny is as capable as anyone else who is not a coach or ex-player in evaluating a player. I personally have spoken to him and his knowledge of the x's and o's is quite substantial.

How was it that while Mangini was the coach Tanny was looked at as a bright GM star. Did he get stupid all of a sudden? I think the change in philosophy of the franchise in 2008 when they signed Favre and had to worry about selling PSL's is a prime factor in the poor evaluations of Tanny. I think the person who may really be lacking in talent evaluation in Rex - especially when it comes to offensive players.

When Rex took over the team they were an offensive line dominated team. The true ground and pound that the Jets were able to play then allowed Rex to concentrate on his D and his talent as a DC to make the D an elite one.

What's funny is that if Tanny is such a cap guru and great contract negotiator why then are his 2 biggest mistakes the Sanchez extension and the Holmes contract? To me these moves have Rex's stamp written all over it. Rex said Sanchez is my quarterback as long as I'm the coach. If that was true then the extension was brilliant to wrap up Sanchez at a cheaper price before he hit his FA year. Rex's ego also made him think that he could control Holmes and even made him the captain.

So understandably Tanny now has to pay the price but I really do think he is being scapegoated.
    Interesting post...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    i never said to keep him
    just making a point

But Jordy doesn't attack anybody...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    i never said to keep him
    just making a point
    I'm just saying the "good cap guy" card has played itself out.

There are enough people out there who can do the same thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

But Jordy doesn't attack anybody...
    I wasn't attacking anyone internet tough guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Tanny was a niche guy under Parcells and Bradway. He had a good 3-year plan after Dumbway got shoved aside and it paid dividends but he clearly is stuck without any new ideas and is lost.

I want Polian or Parcells. Maybe we can throw money at Ernie Accorsi. Even Jimmy Johnson is a possiblity there is no way Fox is giving him enough money.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    A few points. Actually Tanny did not start with the Jets. He interned with the Saints while in law school and then worked for the Browns under Bellichik. That's where he met Mangini.

Actually the current trend in sports management is to have lawyers in executive roles. There are many successful GM's in many sports that did not work themselves up playing the game or in the grinds of lower management.

Tanny is as capable as anyone else who is not a coach or ex-player in evaluating a player. I personally have spoken to him and his knowledge of the x's and o's is quite substantial.

How was it that while Mangini was the coach Tanny was looked at as a bright GM star. Did he get stupid all of a sudden? I think the change in philosophy of the franchise in 2008 when they signed Favre and had to worry about selling PSL's is a prime factor in the poor evaluations of Tanny. I think the person who may really be lacking in talent evaluation in Rex - especially when it comes to offensive players.

When Rex took over the team they were an offensive line dominated team. The true ground and pound that the Jets were able to play then allowed Rex to concentrate on his D and his talent as a DC to make the D an elite one.

What's funny is that if Tanny is such a cap guru and great contract negotiator why then are his 2 biggest mistakes the Sanchez extension and the Holmes contract? To me these moves have Rex's stamp written all over it. Rex said Sanchez is my quarterback as long as I'm the coach. If that was true then the extension was brilliant to wrap up Sanchez at a cheaper price before he hit his FA year. Rex's ego also made him think that he could control Holmes and even made him the captain.

So understandably Tanny now has to pay the price but I really do think he is being scapegoated.
    A couple of things in response....

1) I think baseball and basketball are materially different, with respect to FOs, than football. Football, more than anything else, has its own language. As much as we are fans, unless we played the sport at a relatively high level, we would really struggle to follow along whats going on inside a team practice, meeting, etc.

2) That being said, I don't think that Tanny in his role was an absolute mistake. Under the right circumstances, he could succeed. And, for a while, he did. But, the margin for error is a lot smaller because as much as he's soaked in over the years (and I'm sure his Xs and Os knowledge is far greater than mine), he still needs to defer to someone else when evaluating talent. Again, not a death knell per se, but makes it more difficult.

3) I wouldn't necessarily say that Tanny's biggest blunders were solely on account of Rex, but I do agree that there were external factors that went into those decisions. Rex was part of it but the organization in general (mainly Woody) probably felt that was the way to go. Nevertheless, he's the GM, the buck stops there. He should have known that Sanchez's extension had the capacity to blow up in the team's face if Sanchez didn't become the QB Tanny HOPED he'd be. He should know better - hope is not a strategy. And he got fleeced on the Pace, Harris and Holmes deals as he seemingly misjudged the market at the time. I won't even put Scott there as that was deliberate.

4) Talent evaluation doesn't/shouldn't fall to the HC. While I don't follow them as closely, I don't know that Mike Tomlin, Tom Coughlin, etc. are looked at to evaluate talent. And if Rex has that big a part of it (and I don't know that he does - he just talks alot), that's a failing of the FO as a whole, which obviously includes Tanny.

5) But, bottom line, I don't dislike Tanny - never have. Overall, he's been a credit to this organization, looking at his stay as a whole. He probably was a victim of Woody's desire to stay relevant and keep the team in the news. Still, the fact that Tanny will not be in the running for any senior level positions on the football side of any organization is somewhat telling. And I don't see how he can stay in a reduced capacity with the Jets unless he moves to the business side of things - he's too smart and hungry a guy to accept a slap like that. What's going to happen....the Jets bring back Clinkscales, promote Cohen or find some young, up and coming buck and Tanny will report to them? Ain't gonna happen. JMO.

6) Also, the Jets swung and missed with their high profile QB. Very few franchises can escape from that. More than anything, that is what will have done Tanny in. Everything else is a sidebar to that. Anyone else who goes down with the ship will have Sanchez to thank for that as well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

I don't think calling Tanny just "a good cap guy" now is giving him his proper due. Sure, that was his path to where he is, but he's morphed from that. I'm not saying that he should stay (I have two long winded posts saying otherwise), but he was a pretty innovative GM for a number of years.

I agree with you that he may be out of ideas, though and is time to move on.

At the end of the day, this has got to be about taking the best available player and trusting your talent scouts as to who that best player is.

The GM MUST trust his talent scouts. He must trust his board and who is high up on it. It's impossible for a GM to have intimate knowledge of every young player out there. Hell, it's impossible for talent scouts to have intimate knowledge of every player.

So assuming Tanny has not been trying to appease his HC or others on the CS, he's either drafting for need or his talent staff is not doing a good enough job.

All Pro
    Have they started searching for an owner replacement yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    At the end of the day, this has got to be about taking the best available player and trusting your talent scouts as to who that best player is.

The GM MUST trust his talent scouts. He must trust his board and who is high up on it. It's impossible for a GM to have intimate knowledge of every young player out there. Hell, it's impossible for talent scouts to have intimate knowledge of every player.

So assuming Tanny has not been trying to appease his HC or others on the CS, he's either drafting for need or his talent staff is not doing a good enough job.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Have they started searching for an owner replacement yet?
    +1

It's funny how so many people were calling Tannenbaum one of the best GMs in the league just two years ago. I guess it's human nature to be premature on labeling people as busts or stars.

Tannenbaum has been tragically inept the past couple of years and must pay the price (ignoring the oline, the offense, those ridiculous guaranteed contracts, pissing away draft picks, etc.).

Unfortunately, the owner and coach should also take some blame. Not only are we bad, we are a circus act. We're stuck with Woody. I'm torn on Rex. I won't cry either way, but I would lean towards cleaning house.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't think calling Tanny just "a good cap guy" now is giving him his proper due. Sure, that was his path to where he is, but he's morphed from that. I'm not saying that he should stay (I have two long winded posts saying otherwise), but he was a pretty innovative GM for a number of years.

I agree with you that he may be out of ideas, though and is time to move on.
    I agree. And the word above is the key to what we are saying.