Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major shake ups on OL

Major shake ups on OL

1. Brandon Moore looks like a goner
    2. Slauson most likely packing his bags
    3. Ducasse the only thing I like about you is your name sounds good when we
    say it!

Who will replace these 2 guards?
    We def need solid backups. Bring back Rob Turner!!!

Our first round pick, IMO, must be a G or RT. I know everyone wants an OLB, but Wilkerson and Coples are really getting in there and should only be better in years 3 and 2, respectively. That and there is not a Von Miller type in this draft. Jarvis Jones is the closest to that and he'll be long gone before we're on the board. Personally I'm hoping for Warmack or Jones from Alabama. Either would be a tremendous pick-up.

And I still think Moore could be re-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Our first round pick, IMO, must be a G or RT. I know everyone wants an OLB, but Wilkerson and Coples are really getting in there and should only be better in years 3 and 2, respectively. That and there is not a Von Miller type in this draft. Jarvis Jones is the closest to that and he'll be long gone before we're on the board. Personally I'm hoping for Warmack or Jones from Alabama. Either would be a tremendous pick-up.

well said great post! Agreed

All League
    Offense must be addressed in the draft and in FA. Line and skill positions.

I agree wholeheartedly, unfortunately most of the fanbase will carry on about needing "skill position" players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    1. Brandon Moore looks like a goner
    2. Slauson most likely packing his bags
    3. Ducasse the only thing I like about you is your name sounds good when we
    say it!
    Who will replace these 2 guards?
    We def need solid backups. Bring back Rob Turner!!!
    In English I think Ducasse means Fair Ill have to check with Raoul in france for a ruling.. Too bad he don't play that way..

All League
    I wouldn't object to a couple of draft picks used on the OL in round 2-5. But the biggest improvement will hopefully be a new OC and a new OLine coach that utilize, teach and scheme their OLinemen correctly.

What i would do

Draft Dion Jordon, trade Revis to Detroit, for there 1st and second. Use the first pick we got from them and draft Jake Mathews. Trade one of our second round picks this year, and a second round next year for Kirk Cousins. With our other second rounder, draft a guard or wide receiver.Our passing defense without Revis was ranked third in the NFL. Revis can help us get out of this mess, if we trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Draft Dion Jordon, trade Revis to Detroit, for there 1st and second. Use the first pick we got from them and draft Jake Mathews. Trade one of our second round picks this year, and a second round next year for Kirk Cousins. With our other second rounder, draft a guard or wide receiver.Our passing defense without Revis was ranked third in the NFL. Revis can help us get out of this mess, if we trade him.
    Lol.

Detroit is going to give us their 1st and 2nd picks (most likely top 10) for a player, no matter how great, coming off of a serious injury?

Also, trading Revis is just dumb. Jets strongest asset is their secondary. Yet, you want to dismantle it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I think Moore is that type, but probably will be gone.

Best scenario would be for us to trade down where we could pick Barrett Jones. This guy would make a great guard and if Mangold went down, we wouldn't miss a beat with him subbing. Skill players aren't in abundance this draft so we might as well address the line. I kinda like Ryan Swope WR/Texas A&M though and I think he can be had in the third.

Definitely need better coaching first and foremost. Tony and Dave should open their pizzeria in the Bronx.

Revis will be %100, before the draft. He's already running full speed. Detroit need a corner.There getting the best in football. The draft is crapshoot, Revis is a sure thing. Without Revis,our pass defense was very good. We have too many other needs.

Revis

If we can rebuild our offensive line, and draft an impact outside linebacker, by trading Revis,than to me,its dumb not too trade him.Not to mention the cap space it will open up. I love Revis, but we need to stockpile draft picks.If we struggled this year in pass defense than i would be dumb in suggesting it, but like i pointed out, without him we had the third ranked pass defense in the league

If we can rebuild our offensive line, and draft an impact outside linebacker, by trading Revis,than to me,its dumb not too trade him.Not to mention the cap space it will open up. I love Revis, but we need to stockpile draft picks.If we struggled this year in pass defense than i would be dumb in suggesting it, but like i pointed out, without him we had the third ranked pass defense in the league
    Someone mentioned a Brian Orakpo & Kirk Cousins swap for Revis, that is a win win trade for both teams!
    That is a great fair trade.

Revis will be %100, before the draft. He's already running full speed. Detroit need a corner.There getting the best in football. The draft is crapshoot, Revis is a sure thing. Without Revis,our pass defense was very good. We have too many other needs.
    Please explain how you make the numbers work? Do you understand that by trading Revis the jets lose more cap room than by keeping him. Do you understand the Lions are also over the cap and you expect them to field a team with the two highest paid players who are not qbs in the entire league, plus have a QB with a 15 mill a year contract? So you have 3 players making 1/3 of the cap and the remaining 50 players on the roster making 2/3 of the remainder.
    The NFL is not Madden. if your looking to trade Revis, trade him to a team that can afford him.
    Last edited by patman; 12-25-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Someone mentioned a Brian Orakpo & Kirk Cousins swap for Revis, that is a win win trade for both teams!
    That is a great fair trade.
    I thought so too. While the skins don't have a lot of cap room at least for the next 3 years they will be paying their qb peanuts, so they could afford to have a 12-15 mill a year player at another position.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I wouldn't object to a couple of draft picks used on the OL in round 2-5. But the biggest improvement will hopefully be a new OC and a new OLine coach that utilize, teach and scheme their OLinemen correctly.
    Agreed we need to draft a OL preferably multiple in the 1st 4 rounds

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Please explain how you make the numbers work? Do you understand that by trading Revis the jets lose more cap room than by keeping him. Do you understand the Lions are also over the cap and you expect them to field a team with the two highest paid players who are not qbs in the entire league, plus have a QB with a 15 mill a year contract? So you have 3 players making 1/3 of the cap and the remaining 50 players on the roster making 2/3 of the remainder.
    The NFL is not Madden. if your looking to trade Revis, trade him to a team that can afford him.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, here’s the basic data on the Darrelle Revis deal: no signing bonus; 2010 base salary of $7.5 million; $18 million option bonus due on the first day year of the first league year after the 2010 league year ends (the language reflects the potential for a lockout); 2011 base salary of $7 million; 2012 base salary of $7.5 million; and 2013 base salary of $6 million.

That part is simple. Deciphering the guaranteed money makes it more complex.

Due to the 30-percent rule and the reallocation rule, the two sides had to apply some creativity. Before the option is exercised, the deal carries $13.772 million in 2013 base salary guaranteed for skill and $13.772 million in 2012 and 2011 base salary guaranteed for injury. The pre-option bonus base salaries ($10.06 million in 2011, $11.894 million in 2012, and $13.772 million in 2013) reduce to the lower numbers after the option is paid.

Following the exercise of the option, Revis has $6 million guaranteed for skill and $7.5 million guaranteed for injury.

And so, as of right now, Revis has $13.772 million in guaranteed money for skill and $13.772 million guaranteed for injury. As a practical matter, he’ll get one or the other, if he’s cut or if he suffers a career-ending injury.

After 2010, after he has earned $7.5 million in non-guaranteed base salary, he’ll have $21.272 million earned or guaranteed.

After the option bonus is exercised, he’ll have $25.5 million in his pocket plus $6 million guaranteed for skill and $7.5 million guaranteed for injury.

After the 2011 season, he’ll have $32.5 million in his pocket, with $6 million still guaranteed for skill and $7.5 million still guaranteed for injury.

And that’s the key. At the end of the 2011 season, Revis will have $32.5 million. That translates to $16.25 million per year — higher than the $16.142 million that Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha will earn this year.

So how do the Jets protect themselves against Revis deciding after 2011 that he doesn’t like the fact that he’ll get only $13.5 million over the last two years of the deal?

Im the guy, who suggested it.Im getting slammed by some for suggesting a Revis trade Detroit was only a suggestion, as was the Redskins trade.There are a number of teams in need of a top cover corner.The Browns, raiders, etc, etc.

The jets need a lot of cheap players, the best way to get cheap players is by the draft. Trade down to the mid 20s, get a 2nd. Get a guy like Cooper in the 1st and a guy like Thomas/Womack in the 2nd with the extra pick.

Practice Squad
    I agree. Rex was so hung up the D, that he left no money for the O. I love Revis but we may need to do this.
    Last edited by ken shroy; 12-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.