Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Peyton win MVP and Comeback Player?

Denver backed into the playoffs last year with an 8-8 record, this year they're 12-3 with their final game against KC so they'll be 13-3 when it's all said and done. They're also +153 in points for/against (tied for second with the Seahawks). So Peyton Manning has made a tremendous difference in Denver all the while coming back from numerous spine surgeries to his neck AND he'll be 37 years old in a couple of months.

Peterson didn't injure the cartilage in his knee, he tore his MCL/ACL which is actually easier to come back from for an RB or WR than the loss of cartilage in the knee.

Peterson is on his way to having an incredible year but I really don't think he's overcome the kind of obstacles that Peyton Manning has at 36 years old, nor has his contribution assured his team of a playoff spot.

NOTE: Green Bay still has to win their game against Minnesota to assure a 1st round bye, so there is no gaurantee that Minnesota even makes the playoffs this year. While AP's stats are fantastic, what good do stats do if they don't get your team to the playoffs? Not only has Peyton's stats got his team to the playoffs he's also assured them of the #2 Seed and a 1st round bye, if they win against KC this sunday they will also have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. How can AP be the NFLMVP if his performance didn't even get his team to the playoffs this year?
    Last edited by billygreen; 12-26-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Comeback a la Pennington, sure, I suppose, although I don't generally thinkj of comeback as "come back from injury", but more like "come back from sucking a year or a few" which Manning never did.

MVP? No. A.P. is the league MVP.
    In that case my friend's sons wife should win.. She really sucked when she was his girlfriend since they go married she doesn't suck at all..

Both Manning and Peterson will share winning comeback player of the year. It's happened two or three times in the past. As for MVP, I think it will be Manning or Rodgers.

Although he probably won't (because Peyton and AP are the bigger stories), Rodgers should be awarded MVP. We are talking value to your team. AP's value is to drag an average team (outside of him) to 9-6 and a chance going into week 17 to make the playoffs. Rodgers value was to drag an average team (at least considering injuries, of which they were riddled with them) to 11-4 and a first-round bye.

The QB is more valuable. Vikings and Packers D is a wash. Packers running game is as bad as the Vikings passing game. To me Rodgers is the more valuable player and that will show in week 17 when the Packers go into Minnesota and win.

Peyton should be comeback player of the year and consideration for offensive player of the year. He was off for a year due to neck injury, clearly the comeback guy. His D is too good for him to win MVP (true, sounds crazy, right?) and he did not lead the team to wins early in the year against the marquee opponents. Offensive player of the year I would give to Peterson. But Rodgers should get MVP

I've read every post in this thread, and each of them touches on an argument for both. It's unfortunate that they may have to share both awards, but I think they both equally deserve both awards.

The only tipping point for me would be the MVP discussion. I understand everything about ADPs remarkable season, but if the team doesn't make the playoffs, I personally would not vote for ADP for MVP.

MVP - Brady (and it's not even close)

Comeback Player - Peyton

Brady plays on that Denver team they're probably flirting with a perfect 19-0 season like in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Although he probably won't (because Peyton and AP are the bigger stories), Rodgers should be awarded MVP. We are talking value to your team. AP's value is to drag an average team (outside of him) to 9-6 and a chance going into week 17 to make the playoffs. Rodgers value was to drag an average team (at least considering injuries, of which they were riddled with them) to 11-4 and a first-round bye.

The QB is more valuable. Vikings and Packers D is a wash. Packers running game is as bad as the Vikings passing game. To me Rodgers is the more valuable player and that will show in week 17 when the Packers go into Minnesota and win.

Peyton should be comeback player of the year and consideration for offensive player of the year. He was off for a year due to neck injury, clearly the comeback guy. His D is too good for him to win MVP (true, sounds crazy, right?) and he did not lead the team to wins early in the year against the marquee opponents. Offensive player of the year I would give to Peterson. But Rodgers should get MVP

Wow, that is a bold argument but you backed it up with many solid points. The truth is you can bounce the MVP across any of the elite four and you can make an argument. It's going to Peyton, but we're looking at playoff matchups now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

Comeback Player - Peyton

Brady plays on that Denver team they're probably flirting with a perfect 19-0 season like in 2007.

I've read some of your posts, and its clear you know nothing about football.

Peyton is 10x the qb Brady is.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I've read some of your posts, and its clear you know nothing about football.

Peyton is 10x the qb Brady is.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Well, ****.

Hall Of Fame

YES

Peyton Manning is the Most Valuable Player as well as the most unlikely Comeback Player of the year.

Just because he knew better than to come to this clown car "franchise" makes him even more so a candidate.

obviously JMI, in case a bunch of morons here wunt sherr...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

Comeback Player - Peyton

OH! YOU must mean 18 and ONE GIANT LOSS!

And just when it counted most!

Poetic Justice, being a NEW YORK team that stomped your ***** asses out! And I thoroughly enjoyed rubbing it in your drunken, blabbering faces, up there in england, while you cried in your baaaahston laaaahgaah after losing huge money!

GFY......

18-1

5 MVPs, one ring, ho hum... meanwhile Brady is having yet another sick season, but it's not very sexy, nothing unusual, so no accolades for him.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 12-27-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Wow, that is a bold argument but you backed it up with many solid points. The truth is you can bounce the MVP across any of the elite four and you can make an argument. It's going to Peyton, but we're looking at playoff matchups now.
    Brady obviously has a good chance too, although I think he hurt himself with his last 2 games. We all know voters get heavily swayed by late season results. One thing is the Jags game many voters may not have paid much attention to it. I think it is really difficult to pick an MVP amongst the top 4 candidates. Peyton probably will get it but I have some trouble with him being awarded it given that Rodgers and Brady have been less turnover prone and they both have more marquee wins (and they played at a high level in those wins).

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    OH! YOU must mean 18 and ONE GIANT LOSS!

And just when it counted most!

Poetic Justice, being a NEW YORK team that stomped your ***** asses out! And I thoroughly enjoyed rubbing it in your drunken, blabbering faces, up there in england, while you cried in your baaaahston laaaahgaah after losing huge money!

GFY......

18-1
    Look what the wind dragged in.

All League
    If the MVP doesn't go to Adrian Peterson they should just rename it most valuable QB because a RB will never win it. AP is the whole Vikings offense, they don't try to hide it, everyone knows it and yet most still can't stop him....this all after a big knee injury.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post

18-1
    A moth ball scented 1969 says "Hi there young angry fella".

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Brady obviously has a good chance too, although I think he hurt himself with his last 2 games. We all know voters get heavily swayed by late season results. One thing is the Jags game many voters may not have paid much attention to it. I think it is really difficult to pick an MVP amongst the top 4 candidates. Peyton probably will get it but I have some trouble with him being awarded it given that Rodgers and Brady have been less turnover prone and they both have more marquee wins (and they played at a high level in those wins).
    DVOA

Brady 35%
    Manning 30%

DYAR

Brady 1,921
    Manning 1,607

EPA/P

Brady .28
    Manning .24

EPA

Brady 189
    Manning 145

DVOA team offense
    Pats 29%
    Broncos 22%

Brady has had a superior season to Manning's, but as you mentioned, it really boils down to how the teams shape out at the end of the season. Losing the 49ers game cost Brady any shot at the award. It was Peyton's to lose, and he's been so incredibly consistent that I don't think even ADP can grab it. ADP will get OPOY most likely.

He should win MVP and it's pretty hilarious that a lot of people here didn't want the Jets to get him. Never seen so many people claim to know more than doctors about his health.

Peyton and AP should split the honors- one gets each, too tough to decide which but they're both deserving. I don't think it's fair if one player gets both.

Update:

Denver is on it's way to brushing off the Chiefs on their way to the #1 Seed in the AFC. Anybody who doesn't think Peyton deserves at least NFL MVP at this point hasn't been watching what he's done with the Broncos so far.

Comeback player and NFL MVP, no question.