Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: QB dept. : jets starting QB in 2013 is... ~ ~ ~

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    12,851
    Post Thanks / Like

    Arrow QB dept. : jets starting QB in 2013 is... ~ ~ ~

    Jets starting QB in 2013 is ...

    Moore-Fitzpatrick-SmithUSA TODAY SportsMatt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith are all possibilities for the Jets in 2013.For the first time since 2009, the Jets will head into the offseason with a major question surrounding the quarterback position. Mark Sanchez's regression in 2012, coupled with the expected departure of Tim Tebow, has thrown the Jets into a state of chaos.The Jets probably will try to trade Sanchez, who may demand a trade, but the likelihood of them making a deal is remote because of his $8.25 million guarantee. If he returns, Sanchez probably will be thown into an open competition or simply deemed the No. 2. Either way, they need a starting-caliber quarterback. The organization doesn't see Greg McElroy in that light.It's hard to speculate on a target because there are other variables to consider -- the possibility of a new GM, a new offensive coordinator and a new system. That said, we'll give it our best shot, examining the candidates.

    UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

    Matt Moore, Dolphins -- Obviously, Ryan Tannehill is the present and future in Miami, so Moore will be looking for a place where he could start. He's a smart game manager, capable of running a low-risk offense. Moore, 28, started 13 games for the Dolphins in 2011, throwing 16 TDs, nine interceptions and completing 60 percent. His career record is 13-12. He came off the bench in Week 8 to lead a 30-9 rout of the Jets.

    Potential fit with Jets : He'd be a good, short-term fix -- and wouldn't cost a lot of money. He's the best of a watered-down free-agent market. The biggest name is Joe Flacco, but he'll sign a long-term extension with the Ravens or receive the franchise tag.

    Jason Campbell, Bears -- Campbell has some impressive physical tools, but there are questions about his intangibles. He has started only seven games over the last two years and hasn't played particularly well. His career record is 31-40.

    Potential fit with Jets : Ugh.

    PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT

    Alex Smith, 49ers -- He was having a terrific year (13 TDs, five interceptions), but suffered a concussion and lost his job to Colin Kaepernick. Smith has two years remaining on his contract, but the 49ers have a decision to make: He's due a $1 million roster bonus in early March and his full $7.5 million salary for 2013 becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster April 1. The 49ers can't pay that kind of money to a backup if they're committed to Kaepernick, so they may look to trade him before they cut him.

    Potential fit with Jets: Buyer beware. He's a system quarterback who, after five mediocre seasons, didn't flourish until he hooked up with QB guru Jim Harbaugh. And he'd be very expensive.

    Michael Vick, Eagles -- He will be a free agent because he's due a $3 million guarantee if he's on the roster three days after the Super Bowl -- and the Eagles won't commit. Vick is intriguing because of his exciting skills, but he'll be 33 in June and has durability issues. Plus, he hasn't played well since 2010. He has 29 TDs, 23 interceptions and a 10-12 record over the last two seasons. He'd create a buzz, and we all know how much owner Woody Johnson covets star power at the QB position.

    Potential fit with Jets: A declining player who'd create a Tebow-like circus, especially with his off-the-field baggage. There would be no way to afford him and Sanchez because Vick wouldn't come unless he's paid more.

    Matt Flynn, Seahawks -- He signed a three-year, $19.5 million contract and never got on the field because of Russell Wilson. Flynn is tradeable because his 2013 contract includes only a $2 million guarantee, with a total of non-guaranteed salary of $5.25 million. On the downside, Flynn has only two career starts and he's best in a West Coast system. It's hard to imagine Rex Ryan going in that direction, but you never know.

    Potential fit with the Jets: Would Pete Carroll take Sanchez, his old USC QB, in a swap for Flynn? The Jets would have to eat a lot of Sanchez's contract.

    Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills -- His days in Buffalo appear numbered because of a $3 million roster bonus due in March. The Bills would take a $10 million cap hit by releasing him, but it appears they want to start over at quarterback. Fitzpatrick hasn't been the same since signing a six-year, $62 million contract in 2011 (he has received $26 millon of that amount), but he has an 82.9 passer rating this season, which isn't horrible on a bad team.

    Potential fit with the Jets: He's still only 30 years old, knows the AFC East and could be serviceable in the right offense. Of course, he's a Harvard man, which means he's probably smart enough to stay away from the Jets.

    THE DRAFT

    Geno Smith, West Virginia -- He's projected as a mid- to late first-round pick. New York fans will get a chance to see him Saturday against Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. Smith has 40 TD passes and only six interceptions in the Mountaineers' wide-open offense. He has completed at least 64.8 percent in each of his three seasons as a starter. Critics say he doesn't handle pressure situations very well.

    Potential fit with the Jets: There will be plenty of pre-draft buzz linking Smith and the Jets. He's the best in a suspect crop of QBs, but do you want to build your franchise around him?

    Matt Barkley, USC -- In retrospect, he made a bad decision by returning to school. Barkley would've been a top-5 pick a year ago. He has skills, but he underachieved despite having a terrific pair of receivers. He threw 36 TDs, but also had 15 interceptions and injured his shoulder. He still could go in the first round if he rebuilds his stock with a strong postseason and pre-draft workouts.

    Potential fit with the Jets: Another USC quarterback? That wouldn't go over too well.

    Other college prospects: Tyler Wilson, Arkansas; Aaron Murray, Georgia; Ryan Nassib, Syracuse; Mike Glennon, North Carolina State; Tyler Bray, Tennessee; Landry Jones, Oklahoma.

    > http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-qb-in-2013-is

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moore would be the perfect short-term solution. A game manager that would have easily put us on the playoffs this year if he were the QB. If we got average play from the QB position in 2012, we would have won 10 games.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't want any part of Smith or Barkley. That would be devastating!

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Moore would be the perfect short-term solution. A game manager that would have easily put us on the playoffs this year if he were the QB. If we got average play from the QB position in 2012, we would have won 10 games.
    Moore would have definitely been an upgrade.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want no part of any journeyman veteran never-won-anything QB's on my rebuilding Jets.

    I'd much prefer three young new drafted/URFA QB's with potential than any veteran JAG'off.

    If we need mentors, hire them....as Coaches. Not as QB's.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Next quarterback

    Don't forget to give me props when this happens. Kirk Cousins will be the next Quarterback, especially if we get Norv Turner as OC.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    GMac



    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Garrard, this is the only guy that has taken teams to the playoffs and won playoff games.

    if your looking for a guy to act as a bridge while bringing in a kid for the future,
    he is the guy. If your looking for a guy to be with the team for 3 years as a
    backup to a 1st rd qb, then go with Campbell or Moore.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    GMac



    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    LOL

  10. #10
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Jets starting QB in 2013 is ...

    Moore-Fitzpatrick-SmithUSA TODAY SportsMatt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith are all possibilities for the Jets in 2013.For the first time since 2009, the Jets will head into the offseason with a major question surrounding the quarterback position. Mark Sanchez's regression in 2012, coupled with the expected departure of Tim Tebow, has thrown the Jets into a state of chaos.The Jets probably will try to trade Sanchez, who may demand a trade, but the likelihood of them making a deal is remote because of his $8.25 million guarantee. If he returns, Sanchez probably will be thown into an open competition or simply deemed the No. 2. Either way, they need a starting-caliber quarterback. The organization doesn't see Greg McElroy in that light.It's hard to speculate on a target because there are other variables to consider -- the possibility of a new GM, a new offensive coordinator and a new system. That said, we'll give it our best shot, examining the candidates.

    UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

    Matt Moore, Dolphins -- Obviously, Ryan Tannehill is the present and future in Miami, so Moore will be looking for a place where he could start. He's a smart game manager, capable of running a low-risk offense. Moore, 28, started 13 games for the Dolphins in 2011, throwing 16 TDs, nine interceptions and completing 60 percent. His career record is 13-12. He came off the bench in Week 8 to lead a 30-9 rout of the Jets.

    Potential fit with Jets : He'd be a good, short-term fix -- and wouldn't cost a lot of money. He's the best of a watered-down free-agent market. The biggest name is Joe Flacco, but he'll sign a long-term extension with the Ravens or receive the franchise tag.

    Jason Campbell, Bears -- Campbell has some impressive physical tools, but there are questions about his intangibles. He has started only seven games over the last two years and hasn't played particularly well. His career record is 31-40.

    Potential fit with Jets : Ugh.

    PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT

    Alex Smith, 49ers -- He was having a terrific year (13 TDs, five interceptions), but suffered a concussion and lost his job to Colin Kaepernick. Smith has two years remaining on his contract, but the 49ers have a decision to make: He's due a $1 million roster bonus in early March and his full $7.5 million salary for 2013 becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster April 1. The 49ers can't pay that kind of money to a backup if they're committed to Kaepernick, so they may look to trade him before they cut him.

    Potential fit with Jets: Buyer beware. He's a system quarterback who, after five mediocre seasons, didn't flourish until he hooked up with QB guru Jim Harbaugh. And he'd be very expensive.

    Michael Vick, Eagles -- He will be a free agent because he's due a $3 million guarantee if he's on the roster three days after the Super Bowl -- and the Eagles won't commit. Vick is intriguing because of his exciting skills, but he'll be 33 in June and has durability issues. Plus, he hasn't played well since 2010. He has 29 TDs, 23 interceptions and a 10-12 record over the last two seasons. He'd create a buzz, and we all know how much owner Woody Johnson covets star power at the QB position.

    Potential fit with Jets: A declining player who'd create a Tebow-like circus, especially with his off-the-field baggage. There would be no way to afford him and Sanchez because Vick wouldn't come unless he's paid more.

    Matt Flynn, Seahawks -- He signed a three-year, $19.5 million contract and never got on the field because of Russell Wilson. Flynn is tradeable because his 2013 contract includes only a $2 million guarantee, with a total of non-guaranteed salary of $5.25 million. On the downside, Flynn has only two career starts and he's best in a West Coast system. It's hard to imagine Rex Ryan going in that direction, but you never know.

    Potential fit with the Jets: Would Pete Carroll take Sanchez, his old USC QB, in a swap for Flynn? The Jets would have to eat a lot of Sanchez's contract.

    Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bills -- His days in Buffalo appear numbered because of a $3 million roster bonus due in March. The Bills would take a $10 million cap hit by releasing him, but it appears they want to start over at quarterback. Fitzpatrick hasn't been the same since signing a six-year, $62 million contract in 2011 (he has received $26 millon of that amount), but he has an 82.9 passer rating this season, which isn't horrible on a bad team.

    Potential fit with the Jets: He's still only 30 years old, knows the AFC East and could be serviceable in the right offense. Of course, he's a Harvard man, which means he's probably smart enough to stay away from the Jets.

    THE DRAFT

    Geno Smith, West Virginia -- He's projected as a mid- to late first-round pick. New York fans will get a chance to see him Saturday against Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. Smith has 40 TD passes and only six interceptions in the Mountaineers' wide-open offense. He has completed at least 64.8 percent in each of his three seasons as a starter. Critics say he doesn't handle pressure situations very well.

    Potential fit with the Jets: There will be plenty of pre-draft buzz linking Smith and the Jets. He's the best in a suspect crop of QBs, but do you want to build your franchise around him?

    Matt Barkley, USC -- In retrospect, he made a bad decision by returning to school. Barkley would've been a top-5 pick a year ago. He has skills, but he underachieved despite having a terrific pair of receivers. He threw 36 TDs, but also had 15 interceptions and injured his shoulder. He still could go in the first round if he rebuilds his stock with a strong postseason and pre-draft workouts.

    Potential fit with the Jets: Another USC quarterback? That wouldn't go over too well.

    Other college prospects: Tyler Wilson, Arkansas; Aaron Murray, Georgia; Ryan Nassib, Syracuse; Mike Glennon, North Carolina State; Tyler Bray, Tennessee; Landry Jones, Oklahoma.

    > http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-qb-in-2013-is

    I am not that high on Geno Smith, I think he is a product of the system and benefits from having two amazing weapons in Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey...but the reason I bring him up is he is playing this Saturday against Syracuse. One QB prospect I have my eye on is Ryan Nassib from Syracuse, I think he is carrying a team with little talent and can be a great pick in the 2nd round. I'd love to sign Matt Moore for cheap, keep Big Mac and draft Nassib for next year.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    David Garrard, this is the only guy that has taken teams to the playoffs and won playoff games.

    if your looking for a guy to act as a bridge while bringing in a kid for the future,
    he is the guy. If your looking for a guy to be with the team for 3 years as a
    backup to a 1st rd qb, then go with Campbell or Moore.
    David Garrard would be the perfect fit if we were looking to tank the season and get a high 2014 pick. Seriously the guy sucks. When he took over in Pittsburgh that team looked awful. You can literally count to three mississippi in the time it takes Garrard to wind up and throw the football.

  12. #12
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beercules;4743347]I am not that high on Geno Smith, I think he is a product of the system and benefits from having two amazing weapons in Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey...but the reason I bring him up is he is playing this Saturday against Syracuse. One QB prospect I have my eye on is Ryan Nassib from Syracuse, I think he is carrying a team with little talent and can be a great pick in the 2nd round. I'd love to sign Matt Moore for cheap, keep Big Mac and draft Nassib for next year.[/QUOTE]

    Agree with this strategy but would pick the NC State QB, don't trust college guys who have played home games in domed stadiums.

    But what would happen to Sanchez? Maybe 4 QB's enter camp and only 3 stay on.

  13. #13
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=houyx;4743390]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beercules View Post
    I am not that high on Geno Smith, I think he is a product of the system and benefits from having two amazing weapons in Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey...but the reason I bring him up is he is playing this Saturday against Syracuse. One QB prospect I have my eye on is Ryan Nassib from Syracuse, I think he is carrying a team with little talent and can be a great pick in the 2nd round. I'd love to sign Matt Moore for cheap, keep Big Mac and draft Nassib for next year.[/QUOTE]

    Agree with this strategy but would pick the NC State QB, don't trust college guys who have played home games in domed stadiums.

    But what would happen to Sanchez? Maybe 4 QB's enter camp and only 3 stay on.
    For Sanchez, I am assuming they cut ties by either trading him or releasing him and taking the $17 million hit over the next two seasons. I think he is done in here no matter what, I'd like to think we can keep him on as a capable backup, possible starter but it may not be the right move for the locker room. Keeping him with half the locker room supporting him and half calling for his head, best to be fair to the Jets and Sanchez and let him find greener pastures elsewhere. However, it is a definite possibility he's still here next year.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    12,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Throwing cold water on Tebow-to-Jacksonville rumblings

    There is a chance that the Jaguars’ starting QB in 2013 is not currently on the roster. Week One starter Blaine Gabbert, before being placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury, was demoted by head coach Mike Mularkey, and our sources expressed significant concerns regarding Gabbert's leadership skills and passion for the game — not to mention his total ineptitude on the field — even prior to his demotion.The man whom replaced Gabbert, Chad Henne, got out of the gate like gangbusters, but his numbers have since tapered off to, well, Gabbert-like production. Yes, the offense has performed more efficiently with Henne at the controls. No, he has not done enough to instill great confidence within the organization that he can be the long-term solution under center.

    Thus, when a report surfaced late last week indicating Jets disgruntled QB Tim Tebow, a hometown kid and iconic figure throughout the state of Florida, was a “virtual certainty” to land with the Jaguars in 2013, it made sense on a number of levels.Tebow is revered in Jacksonville. The club is unsettled at the QB position. Owner Shad Khan stuck his toe in the water when Tebow was on the trade market prior to the season.However, after doing a little digging, we hear that categorizing his arrival in Jacksonville after the season as imminent is a major stretch.Khan’s prior interest in Tebow is understandable, particularly from a business standpoint. He would very likely help a small-market team that has trouble filling its gargantuan stadium do just that. Yet, the Jaguars’ ticket sales have improved this season — and Khan didn’t mandate his football people, mainly embattled GM Gene Smith, to acquire him at all costs last offseason, just to put out feelers.

    Smith’s likely on borrowed time in Jacksonville. We hear there is a strong chance he will be dismissed after the season, which likely means a new GM would have to sign off on Tebow, or, potentially steer clear of the job altogether if Tebow is part of the deal.Similarly, we don’t yet know the future of Mularkey. There is a chance that he could be spared after the season, if a new GM approves.As one source astutely pointed out, the author of the original report — ESPN's well-connected Chris Mortensen — shares an agent, Jimmy Sexton, with Tebow.Tebow could very well end up a Jaguar. But as the source notes, "there are only two virtual certainties in life: Death and taxes."

    > http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...sonville-rumbl

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    dunwoody, ga ! !
    Posts
    12,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez's Year : Not the Worst

    The Jets' disastrous 2012 season is hardly surprising when you consider that quarterback Mark Sanchez has performed worse than all but one fourth-year quarterback in NFL history.

    Sanchez's passer rating heading into his start Sunday against Buffalo is 67.9, compared to the league-wide average of 83.6 (an all-time high). The only fourth-year quarterback making at least 12 starts who had a worse season than Sanchez was Scott Brunner of the 1983 Giants, according to Pro-Football-Reference. Coach Bill Parcells benched Phil Simms for Brunner that season. The next year, Simms was reinstalled and Brunner never started another game in the league.

    Most alarmingly for Jets fans is that Sanchez entered this season with 47 starts, far more than any of the other fourth-year quarterbacks who similarly struggled. Brunner, for example, had only 18. Jack Concannon (1967 Bears), Ryan Fitzpatrick (2008 Bengals) and Cliff Stoudt (1983 Steelers) each had four or fewer.Kordell Stewart is the only player to overcome such a poor fourth season and later make a Pro Bowl for the same team. That fourth season, however, was only Stewart's second as Pittsburgh's starter. Jake Plummer later found Pro Bowl-level success, but only after moving to Denver. Fitzpatrick later earned a big contract in Buffalo, but many expect Sunday's start against Sanchez and the Jets to be Fitzpatrick's last for the Bills.

    —Michael Salfino

    Fourth and Wrong
    The fourth-year quarterbacks in NFL history who had the worst seasons, measured by passer rating compared to the league average.

    Player/Team/Season TD INT Passer Rating adjusted Rating Compared to League Avg. *
    1. Scott Brunner NYG, 1983 9 22 54.3 74
    2. Mark Sanchez NYJ, 2012
    13 17 67.9 79
    3. Mike Phipps CLE, 1973
    9 20 49.4 82
    4. Kordell Stewart PIT, 1998
    11 18 62.9 82
    5. Cliff Stoudt PIT, 1983
    12 21 60.6 82
    6. Jack Concannon CHI, 1967
    6 14 50.9 83
    7. Bob Avellini CHI, 1978
    5 16 54.8 84
    8. Bobby Douglass CHI, 1972
    9 12 49.8 84
    9. Ryan Fitzpatrick CIN, 2008
    8 9 70 84
    10. Jake Plummer ARI, 2000
    13 21 66 84

    Source: Pro-Football-Reference.com *League avg. is 100. (minimum 12 starts)

    > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...J_topics_obama

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    GMac



    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2


    Great call. Football acumen runs deep.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    David Garrard would be the perfect fit if we were looking to tank the season and get a high 2014 pick. Seriously the guy sucks. When he took over in Pittsburgh that team looked awful. You can literally count to three mississippi in the time it takes Garrard to wind up and throw the football.
    I disagree. Garrard has never had a WR in his career and was always behind a soso OL and still put up some average #s. Had he ever had just one real target and a little time he could have made a major impact. He is done however. Been out of the game way too long to come back and start over.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    David Garrard would be the perfect fit if we were looking to tank the season and get a high 2014 pick. Seriously the guy sucks. When he took over in Pittsburgh that team looked awful. You can literally count to three mississippi in the time it takes Garrard to wind up and throw the football.
    Your confusing Garrard and Lefwitch

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    In order my top 5 hopes are
    1 Barkley - He will be a good pro that is all I want at this point someone that can be a good QB.
    2 Wilson - see Barkley
    3 Glennon - Better sie then the other 2 but a bigger gamble
    4 Colt McCoy - Will be cheaper to trade for then any other option and is the best B to be had on the market IMO.
    5 David Carr - Honestly I'd take him over most of the crap people seem to be drooling over. He can at least make all the plays. Maybe he learned some leadership skills working as a Giant.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us