Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring back the Tuna

Bring back the Tuna

For these reasons

1.Woody needs a lot of help & Tuna has already turned around our franchise.
    2. Contrary to common belief he Will hire college expert for draft
    3. he can hire our next GM
    4. if we keep Tammy as capologist he already knows him well
    5. he always has football itch he can be a consultant
    6. he has unfinished business
    7. he left us with good players
    8. Love to see him stick to Bellichicken
    9. He has strong Ny roots
    10. Well respected & knows the league

Jets Insider VIP
    No for the following reasons

1 Quit on the Jets leaving them in a csp hole that required dumping their two best cornerbacks into an expansiion draft to dig out from

2. Also failed and then quit on Miami.and Dallas

3. 102 years old

4. As a draft guru traded down and missed on Orlando Pace then in his next year grabbed HOFer Dorrian Boose with his first pick

5. Traded for Rick Mirer in 1999 once again showing his grocery abilities and then left him in as the starting QB for 7 losses that ruined a season

6. Also quit on the Giants and Pats but who's counting

7. Shark 99 keeps starting threads about him

NO to to leftover rancid tuna

Thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    For these reasons

Is this really the best we can come up with on here? At least make it interesting, rather than a guy who has been a terrible front office executive, is in his mid 70's now, always leaves teams hanging, and probably has no interest in coming back to football to begin with. Other than that, sign him up, and he can fix all of the ills of the team, kind of like Mike Holmgren did for Cleveland, meanwhile taking about 40 million in the process of the cracker jack job that he did...

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    No for the following reasons

1 Quit on the Jets leaving them in a csp hole that required dumping their two best cornerbacks into an expansiion draft to dig out from

2. Also failed and then quit on Miami.and Dallas

3. 102 years old

4. As a draft guru traded down and missed on Orlando Pace then in his next year grabbed HOFer Dorrian Boose with his first pick

5. Traded for Rick Mirer in 1999 once again showing his grocery abilities and then left him in as the starting QB for 7 losses that ruined a season

6. Also quit on the Giants and Pats but who's counting

7. Shark 99 keeps starting threads about him

NO to to leftover rancid tuna

Thank you

I don't think Parcells is the guy either but what he did in Dallas can not be considered a failure. That team was headed in the right direction when the owner went out and signed TO over the HC objections.

Parcells messed up the cap with the jets, because he had the conflict with needing to win games now and did not take the long range view. Very similar to Tanny in 09 and 10 only we assume either to sell psls or to appease the new HC.

Parcells is to loyal to his guys and the jets will just get a rehash of guys he was associated with 10 years ago.

The premise of the need for a Director of Football ops is something that I posted many times. Marty to me is much more suited for this role than Parcells.

Tuna was a temporary fix for a franchise in deep problem..

It was wonderful in 98.. And we have been in contention most years since he has been here..

I don't have the distain for him some have here.. Because he himself when hired said his career was winding down..

And he also had the plan in place.. He did not purposely drop the HC job and leave us in ruins..

The plan from the day he was hired is he would be coach with BB being assistant HC... and when he left the franchise he would leave it in the capable hands of Bill Belichick to take over...

Who know BB would only be head coach for one day??

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    Tuna was a temporary fix for a franchise in deep problem..

It was wonderful in 98.. And we have been in contention most years since he has been here..

I don't have the distain for him some have here.. Because he himself when hired said his career was winding down..

And he also had the plan in place.. He did not purposely drop the HC job and leave us in ruins..

The plan from the day he was hired is he would be coach with BB being assistant HC... and when he left the franchise he would leave it in the capable hands of Bill Belichick to take over...

Who know BB would only be head coach for one day??
    He said he would coach for 3 years and did.. But his disdain for rookie QB's most likely cost us Manning when he wouldn't guarantee that he would take him if he came out with the first pick in the draft..

The last time Parcells tried to turn around a franchise he hired Jeff Ireland as GM, Sparano as HC, and drafted Pat White in the 2nd round. No. Absofrigginlutely not.

the tuna helper.

if anything at least he will draft us a pass rusher.

Rookie
    Please, no Tuna.
    Sick and tired of all the years of ground n pound.
    I would love to see someone brought in to open up the off.

I love Parcells the coach, the GM/President he sucks at.

Keep him away.

The new GM that comes in will be someone that none of us has ever heard of.

TUNA LOL AARP would love it! the game has passed on

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He said he would coach for 3 years and did.. But his disdain for rookie QB's most likely cost us Manning when he wouldn't guarantee that he would take him if he came out with the first pick in the draft..
    It wasn't just that. He had to guarantee the Mannings in mid-Jan (when Peyton had to declare) that he would take Peyton with the #1 and that he wouldn't trade the pick.

To Parcells credit he couldn't make that guarantee in mid-Jan. what if a team offered him 10 # 1 picks and x # of starters. He had to have the ability /freedom to do whatever he wanted with that pick in mid-Jan.

And people forget that come draft time for Peyton it wasn't a slam dunk that he was the #1 QB/pick. Many teams were just as high on Leaf.

Of course as everyone found out after the fact Leaf was a waste.

@BrianCoz: Parcells ideal man to assist Woody in choosing next GM #nyj: http://t.co/A7D7N4Ew via @nypost
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-26-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Parcells?

Lets see, he was a worse Coach in NY than Rex.

Was a worse GM than Tanny.

Made worse decisions about QB's.

Handed our rival the greatest Coach of this Era via his mismanagement.

Left us in the lurch with Groh and a boatload oc unsustainable contracts that hurt like hell for years.

Other than the supposed "changing the mindset" he did in his one good year....Parcells was no better than Rex, Mangini or Herm in New York.

And frankly, he's the last person on Earth I'd want as a GM, he's horrible at it as his record shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Parcells?

Left us in the lurch with Groh and a boatload oc unsustainable contracts that hurt like hell for years.

Other than the supposed "changing the mindset" he did in his one good year....Parcells was no better than Rex, Mangini or Herm in New York.

And frankly, he's the last person on Earth I'd want as a GM, he's horrible at it as his record shows.
    Please. Mentioning Rex and Parcells in the same breath in terms of HC is ridiculous.

Parcells took over 1-15 disgrace of a franchise. Rex is now HC of a disgrace of a franchise

And Parcells 1 yr strictly as GM he produced Ellis, Abe, Chad and Coles. And Becht played 10 yrs in the NFL

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Parcells?

A 2 time SB champ. Took the pats to a SB, jets to 12 wins.

Perfect...NO. But you make him like he is an idiot. He is a HOF coach.

We get it...you dont like him, and some of your points are valid. But you are re writing history.

No, please. He will not be here for the long term -- his history illustrates that; not to mention his current age. Pass and go get a young executive who is good at evaluating talent from Pitt, NYG, GB, SF, Houston, Seattle, Balt, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree fully that we need a Football Operations Tsar who can stand up to everyone especially the owner and HC when either of them comes up with an impulsive brainstorm...(Let's trade for Teblow!!! or I want that Terminator!!!!)

But that guy is NOT the 104 year old quitting Tuna...whose impulsive moves are well documented (The guy we need at HC is my OL assistant at Dallas....Tony Moron-o!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    For these reasons

The good (just off the top of my head and in no particular order)

- Curtis Martin
    - Sean Ellis
    - John Abraham
    - Chad Pennington
    - James Farrior
    - Vinny Testaverde
    - Others
    - Took our team from 1 and 15 (4 and 28 over the previous two seasons) to 9-7 and almost a playoff birth with Neil O'Donnell as QB in 1 Year.
    - In his second year he took us to the AFC Championship Game and we lost to Denver the eventual SB winners. We were winning in the 1st half, but fumbled the game away.
    - The following year we were favored to win the superbowl, but Vinny blew out his Achilles, so we were left with 3rd tier QBs.

The bad

Not too much bad, mostly Good or Ugly.

The ugly

Would not guarantee Archie Manning that he would draft Peyton with the first overall pick. Peyton ended up staying in school and was picked the following year #1 overall.

Instead of passing the torch to Bellichick to be the head coach, and retiring, he decides to stay on as GM. Bellichick on the day he was announced as Jets Head Coach says to the world in his press conference that he was not going to take the job.

The rest is history.

Would I take him back?

Absolutely!!! He would get rid of the dead wood in a heartbeat. We'd have a dozen picks in the next draft. We'd have instant legitimacy and be a top destination for free agents. He'd eliminate all our glaring weaknesses and give us depth to protect us from injury. Also I believe Tuna would complement Tanny and Rex. Tanny can keep the numbers in line and Rex's good old boy network would be eliminated and he can blame the boss.

That being said, I think Woody still has a bad taste in his mouth from his previous dealings with Parcells and there's no way he'd bring him back.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 12-26-2012 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    I love Parcells the coach, the GM/President he sucks at.

Keep him away.

The new GM that comes in will be someone that none of us has ever heard of.
    I understand this response, but Parcells wouldn't be coming in to run the entire ship, he would be brought in to ironically work with the people he hired when he left, Bradway and Tannenbaum.