Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bring back the Tuna

**** the tuna ... He is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    **** the tuna ... He is done.
    +1

How old is Tuna at this point anyway? I think his shelf life has expired and doubt he has it in him to actually try another reclamation project. It's not like he was real successful in his last couple anyway.

It would seem to me the Jets need a young fresh outlook, maybe from the college ranks. Someone poised for today's NFL in both the positions of GM AND coach. Step away from the ideology that a team can still win with a ground and pound offense and the 4-6 D.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Parcells brought credibility to this franchise. Something we didnt have since 1969.

Before Parcells, between 1970-1997, we had a total of 5 winning seasons out of 27 seasons, only 5 playoff appearances, 1 championship game appearance, and 12 seasons of double digit losses.

Since Parcells(1997-2011) weve had 10 winning seasons out of 15 seasons, 7 playoff appearances, 3 championship game appearances, and only 3 seasons of double digit losses.

I think any Jets fan who doesnt show appreciation for what the Tuna has meant to this franchise is either clueless or too young to experience the tradition of losing that this franchise has.
    Wow people are ungrateful & ignorant towards one of the best coaches of all time that gave us credibility & relevance.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    The good (just off the top of my head and in no particular order)

- Curtis Martin
    - Sean Ellis
    - John Abraham
    - Chad Pennington
    - James Farrior
    - Vinny Testaverde
    - Others
    - Took our team from 1 and 15 (4 and 28 over the previous two seasons) to 9-7 and almost a playoff birth with Neil O'Donnell as QB in 1 Year.
    - In his second year he took us to the AFC Championship Game and we lost to Denver the eventual SB winners. We were winning in the 1st half, but fumbled the game away.
    - The following year we were favored to win the superbowl, but Vinny blew out his Achilles, so we were left with 3rd tier QBs.

The bad

Not too much bad, mostly Good or Ugly.

The ugly

Would not guarantee Archie Manning that he would draft Peyton with the first overall pick. Peyton ended up staying in school and was picked the following year #1 overall.

Instead of passing the torch to Bellichick to be the head coach, and retiring, he decides to stay on as GM. Bellichick on the day he was announced as Jets Head Coach says to the world in his press conference that he was not going to take the job.

The rest is history.

Would I take him back?

Absolutely!!! He would get rid of the dead wood in a heartbeat. We'd have a dozen picks in the next draft. We'd have instant legitimacy and be a top destination for free agents. He'd eliminate all our glaring weaknesses and give us depth to protect us from injury. Also I believe Tuna would complement Tanny and Rex. Tanny can keep the numbers in line and Rex's good old boy network would be eliminated and he can blame the boss.

That being said, I think Woody still has a bad taste in his mouth from his previous dealings with Parcells and there's no way he'd bring him back.
    Farrior on the Jets was not so "good" he only started 27 games in his 1st 4 years was considered a bust avg 1.1 sack a yr

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Wow people are ungrateful & ignorant towards one of the best coaches of all time that gave us credibility & relevance.
    Welcome to 2013.

Too bad Weeb Ewbank is dead, I'd love to have him back as HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Farrior on the Jets was not so "good" he only started 27 games in his 1st 4 years was considered a bust avg 1.1 sack a yr
    Farrior had a good career with the Steelers but underperformed with the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Farrior had a good career with the Steelers but underperformed with the Jets.
    A big part of that is good coaching and proper player development.

Farrior didn't excel until Dick LeBeau came along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    After all that all you can do is pick on the fact that I had Farrior on the list? Take a look at the rest of the list. We've never been more effective in the draft, or free agency than the few years that Parcells was here. That's my point, argue that?
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 12-26-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    The good (just off the top of my head and in no particular order)

- Curtis Martin
    - Sean Ellis
    - John Abraham
    - Chad Pennington
    - James Farrior
    - Vinny Testaverde
    - Others
    - Took our team from 1 and 15 (4 and 28 over the previous two seasons) to 9-7 and almost a playoff birth with Neil O'Donnell as QB in 1 Year.
    - In his second year he took us to the AFC Championship Game and we lost to Denver the eventual SB winners. We were winning in the 1st half, but fumbled the game away.
    - The following year we were favored to win the superbowl, but Vinny blew out his Achilles, so we were left with 3rd tier QBs.

The bad

Not too much bad, mostly Good or Ugly.

The ugly

Would not guarantee Archie Manning that he would draft Peyton with the first overall pick. Peyton ended up staying in school and was picked the following year #1 overall.

Instead of passing the torch to Bellichick to be the head coach, and retiring, he decides to stay on as GM. Bellichick on the day he was announced as Jets Head Coach says to the world in his press conference that he was not going to take the job.

The rest is history.

Would I take him back?

Absolutely!!! He would get rid of the dead wood in a heartbeat. We'd have a dozen picks in the next draft. We'd have instant legitimacy and be a top destination for free agents. He'd eliminate all our glaring weaknesses and give us depth to protect us from injury. Also I believe Tuna would complement Tanny and Rex. Tanny can keep the numbers in line and Rex's good old boy network would be eliminated and he can blame the boss.

That being said, I think Woody still has a bad taste in his mouth from his previous dealings with Parcells and there's no way he'd bring him back.
    People need to remember he's very high on Rex and thinks of him as a Young Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Welcome to 2013.

Too bad Weeb Ewbank is dead, I'd love to have him back as HC.
    Your right Weeb was a great coach for us. However, he was before my time and all i saw was highlights...

Exactly right. Just like the guy picked on me listing Farrior and made it a point to disagree with that one element while completely missing the point of the post, other posters find one thing that they disagreed with that Parcells did and it completely clouds their judgement of Parcell's contributions.

Your right Weeb was a great coach for us. However, he was before my time and all i saw was highlights...
    A few years back I met several Jets and Giant players at a charity event. One of them was part of the Superbowl team. He told me that he had a full time job as well as playing for the Jets. Also he was on the OL and weighed in at 250 lbs. The point being, it's a completely different game today.

Tuna = Tannenbaum and Sporano - those are two guys off his coaching tree - need more be said about him coming back

Quote Originally Posted by bellc275 View Post
    Tuna = Tannenbaum and Sporano - those are two guys off his coaching tree - need more be said about him coming back
    I agree, I don't like what Tannenbaum and Sparano have done with the Jets, but if Parcell's were here Tannenbaum would go back to managing the cap and II'm confident Sparano would have a much more talented and complete offense than we had this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bellc275 View Post
    Why don't you include some others off his coaching tree ie. Belichick, Coughlin, Payton, Crennel (very good DC) Weis, Henning (both good OCs)

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Why don't you include some others off his coaching tree ie. Belichick, Coughlin, Payton, Crennel (very good DC) Weis, Henning (both good OCs)
    You know that Parcells recommended Rex Ryan to the Jets job, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    You know that Parcells recommended Rex Ryan to the Jets job, right?
    Just posted the link in another thread. Win some, lose some.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Just posted the link in another thread. Win some, lose some.
    So if Parcells is brought in, don't you think he might want to keep Ryan here?

Jets Insider VIP
    My point was, we can't look back. It's time to move forward with someone who can and will stay the course.

you all forgot the #1 reason we DO want him back here:

He is a close and personal friend of Mike Fatcesser.

Wouldn't that be a kick in the arse LOL if sir Cheeseburger had to beconme a Jet fan all over again