Thread: NY Media wants Bill Parcells to help find new GM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

NY Media wants Bill Parcells to help find new GM.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rk-jets-savior

Bill Parcells suggested as New York Jets savior
    - By Gregg Rosenthal

It was only a matter of time. With a team in the New York area ready to make major changes,
    Bill Parcells' name was bound to pop up.

The New York Post published a piece Wednesday imploring New York Jets owner Woody Johnson
    to call upon his "old friend" Parcells to help the Jets find a new general manager.

The piece was not sourced with inside information and it said that Parcells did not respond to a
    text request for comment. (Then again, the request took place on Christmas.) But we've been
    down this road too many times to assume that a story about Parcells was written in a vacuum.

"(Johnson) has leaned on Tannenbaum and Ryan on all football decisions for the last four years.
    Clearly, they cannot decide their own fates," Brian Costello writes.

That's a fair point, even if Parcells would be an odd choice to help out. Parcells has a history
    with Tannenbaum. The same article somehow cites Parcells' work in Miami and appointment of
    GM Jeff Ireland as a positive.

A report surfaced this week suggesting Tannenbaum could keep a job in the organization, even
    if he doesn't keep personnel powers. This isn't a huge surprise. Remember, their last personnel
    leader Terry Bradway also still works for the team.

The article helps to point out the lack of quality personnel decision makers within the Jets
    organization. This is a big moment for owner Woody Johnson, and there's not a lot of reason
    to believe he can make the correct decisions to right this front office ship.
    Last edited by southside; 12-26-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess Woody needs somebody helping him because the Rex and Tannenboob show is headed in reverse. A part time gig is perfect for Parcells.
    It works for me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Well I guess Woody needs somebody helping him because the Rex and Tannenboob show is headed in reverse. A part time gig is perfect for Parcells.
    It works for me.
    Don't be silly. We need stability and a long term outlook in this position. Not a quick fix that may last only 2 years at most.

This is the typical NY tabloid media b/s -- consider the source too, NY Post! Slow news day so why not generate discussion by printing the absurd advocating for a return of Parcells. Please, give me a break.

Why would Woody even look in his direction? Parcells told Woody and the NY media that he was done back in late 2000. Only to turnaround a short time later and take the Dallas job. F'em. Move on and get a proven talent evaluator from a organization that has drafted well in recent years. Not retreads like Parcells, Polian, etc.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Woody and Parcells a no- no ?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    It works for me.
    = there is a big problem with that scenario-- Woody and Parcells do not have a good relationship.

...Woody is looking at Mike Maccagnan from Houston Texans-- i believe he is overall director of College Scouting and Player evaluation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta be Simpleminded Serby

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Gotta be Simpleminded Serby

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Nope. Brian Costello.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    parcells is a carpetbagger. the jets need to get a football guy in start start managing that aspect of building the team and getting the talent. parcells is not the answer. they need a guy who will be or can commit to the team for a long period of time. tannenbaum can be kept on as a cap and contracts guy. someone mentioned mangini as gm. might not be such a bad choice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Don't be silly. We need stability and a long term outlook in this position. Not a quick fix that may last only 2 years at most.

This is the typical NY tabloid media b/s -- consider the source too, NY Post! Slow news day so why not generate discussion by printing the absurd advocating for a return of Parcells. Please, give me a break.

Why would Woody even look in his direction? Parcells told Woody and the NY media that he was done back in late 2000. Only to turnaround a short time later and take the Dallas job. F'em. Move on and get a proven talent evaluator from a organization that has drafted well in recent years. Not retreads like Parcells, Polian, etc.
    I didn't read the post article, but from what I read above it's not suggesting the Jets hire Parcells as a GM but rather bring him on to help Woody make the decision about who to hire as GM...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone remember the poem, the man in the glass? Parcells always liked that one. Can't see how having Parcells involved in some capacity would hurt us.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We don't need Parcells. Frankly, he is too old and a retread.

Woody just needs to make the top candidates offers that they can't refuse. Go outside the organization. Poach the Ravens, Steelers, Packers,etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I didn't read the post article, but from what I read above it's not suggesting the Jets hire Parcells as a GM but rather bring him on to help Woody make the decision about who to hire as GM...
    We (Jets fans) should want no part of Parcells in any capacity. Thanks but no thanks.

Woody can't be that dumb. He's a billionaire. This is not rocket science, and he has options to choose from other organizations that have a demonstrated track record of recent success at talent evaluation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We don't need Parcells. Frankly, he is too old and a retread.

Woody just needs to make the top candidates offers that they can't refuse. Go outside the organization. Poach the Ravens, Steelers, Packers,etc.
    Exactly. +1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I am not mistaken, Parcells is the reason that Bradway and Tannembaum are employed here. In addition, wasn't he the one that recommended Rex to Woody?

While we're at it, Sporano was his hire in Miami.

Thats three big FAILS. Woody, grow a pair and do your own research. Interview candidates that are extremely intelligent, extremely hard working, and have bright futures. Say NO to all the retreads where their best days are behind them.

If anything, ask Parcells who he recommends, and then cross him off the list. Period.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Woody can't be that dumb. He's a billionaire.