Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: off the record information

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Are you high?
    This is a very solid class this year. Yeah no Luck but that is a rare prospect. The next 2 years does not look any better. Barkley and Geno maybe even Wilson would be the top prospect in either as well. Your best prospects out side of this year is a 6ft Manziel, Bridgewater, and Driskel none of which are any better then what you see on top right now. I like Driskel but yeah I'd take Barkley over him in a heart beat. Why the heck would you not just make the call this year? Are you that scared of drafting a QB? What your going to keep Sanchez anther 3 years? Come on man. Are you really holding hope that someone else comes down the pike better then Geno or Barkley? Right now there is no one better then those 2 in college. This is as good of a draft as we are going to see for a while in the QB front. If they pass on QB this draft it would be the worse possible situation for this team. No hope of having a real QB any time soon.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    If we are in a situation where Rex Ryan oversees a competition between Brady Quinn and Mark Sanchez, I quit.
    I don't believe that's where Rex wants to end up. I think Rex's obsession with Sanchez is finally running out. After the Titans game, I thought Rex appeared to have this look of total betrayal by Sanchez. IMO, Rex is waking up and seeing that Sanchez will never be the answer.

But for better or worse, Mark Sanchez will likely be on the 2013 New York Jets.

So I can certainly see a QB competition that Mark Sanchez will be involved in. That's the fair thing to do. Sanchez would surely be gone this offseason if management could find a way. But where they can't, and the Jets will be forced to employ him for one more season, he should be given a chance to compete for the starting QB job.

Then there's also this money thing. Where Sanchez will be collecting a guaranteed 8.25 million next season, the Jets will likely be financially strapped. That will affect who they can go after in free agent QB's.

So to answer your question, and I apologize for having to type so much to get to the answer, this will likely only be a short term thing. I think Rex has learned now, once and for all, that loyalty is only applied to important things like winning. NOT to players.

If Brady and Sanchez compete, it would only be because the team is financially strapped and there aren't any decent options in the draft. Even then it would only be a short term solution.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    <snip>

Here's a good article about Ryan Pettine and Thurman and how tight they are. Sure you don't want to lose valuable guys, but you can't keep the same staff in place all the time - it gets stale.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ticle-1.962086
    Good article. Unfortunately it was written on the week before the Ravens game last year. The game that CRUSHED Sanchez. the beginning of the end for him. The beginning of the downward spiral for the Jets.

Now they are so close that Pettine will not sign a contract extension.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next year we're going to be like the Redskins in '11, when they had a QB "competition" between Rex Grossman and John Beck. Unfortunately for us, I don't think there's going to be an RGIII waiting for us at the end of the tunnel.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Quinn can actually throw the ball (unlike Leinart). Problem is he can't make reads efficiently. He's very similar to Vinny Testaverde. If we got a good OC who ran a QB friendly offense, a RB who can be a safety valve and a big receiver he might be ok.

Worked for us in 1998 and would have probably taken us to the Super Bowl in 1999 if Vinny's achilles doesn't blowout.
    Brady Quinn is mediocre at best. He's no better than a career back-up. 3rd sting on a good team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I don't believe that's where Rex wants to end up. I think Rex's obsession with Sanchez is finally running out. After the Titans game, I thought Rex appeared to have this look of total betrayal by Sanchez. IMO, Rex is waking up and seeing that Sanchez will never be the answer.

But for better or worse, Mark Sanchez will likely be on the 2013 New York Jets.

So I can certainly see a QB competition that Mark Sanchez will be involved in. That's the fair thing to do. Sanchez would surely be gone this offseason if management could find a way. But where they can't, and the Jets will be forced to employ him for one more season, he should be given a chance to compete for the starting QB job.

Then there's also this money thing. Where Sanchez will be collecting a guaranteed 8.25 million next season, the Jets will likely be financially strapped. That will affect who they can go after in free agent QB's.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    This is a very solid class this year. Yeah no Luck but that is a rare prospect. The next 2 years does not look any better. Barkley and Geno maybe even Wilson would be the top prospect in either as well. Your best prospects out side of this year is a 6ft Manziel, Bridgewater, and Driskel none of which are any better then what you see on top right now. I like Driskel but yeah I'd take Barkley over him in a heart beat. Why the heck would you not just make the call this year? Are you that scared of drafting a QB? What your going to keep Sanchez anther 3 years? Come on man. Are you really holding hope that someone else comes down the pike better then Geno or Barkley? Right now there is no one better then those 2 in college. This is as good of a draft as we are going to see for a while in the QB front. If they pass on QB this draft it would be the worse possible situation for this team. No hope of having a real QB any time soon.
    I'm a believer in Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson myself. Matt Barkley though? Hell to the no.

Either Smith or Wilson will probably be a second round pick anyway, unlike Barkley, which fits what we should do more anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ahere's the reality of the 2013 season. Sanchez will be the starting QB for the Jets. Why? Because no one will trade for him and he's owed too much money to cut. This isn't to say the Jets won't look for a QB who would be affordble and be able to come in and not stink it up too much. It will be another down year until a real QB is drafted.
    Last edited by CGJET; 12-27-2012 at 05:52 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I'm a believer in Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson myself. Matt Barkley though? Hell to the no.

Either Smith or Wilson will probably be a second round pick anyway, unlike Barkley, which fits what we should do more anyway.
    There is too many teams that need a QB this year to let any of the big 3 fall to the 2nd. I know Wilson doesn't have a high draft stock know but if he is there for Denver, Chicago, Dallas, or SF don't be shocked if any one of they say hey why not. Manning is how old and Hannie is his BU. Why not pick a guy like Wilson to play behind Manning a few years? Like NE did with Mallett. Manning is have a good year but in the same account has taken a beating behind that line. Romo is aging has 1 year left in his deal. Will Jones really want to give him the 5 years 100 mill he will want same with Chicago and the quitter Cutler? I don't think SF is 100% sold on Collin. They just realize Smith is not the man to get them anywhere. I honestly can't see any scenario where one of the big 3 falls out of the 1st. Not to mention if KC does bulk on QB 1 overall they will either trade up or draft a QB with that 33 pick. I don't see them going anther year with Cassell and Quinn. It would be like us going anther year with Sanchez and Tebow. Then you still have Philly, Jax, Buff, and Zona that pick again before we will. Simply put if you actually want a good QB you have to swallow your pride and draft one early. By the time we pick in the 2nd my guess is at least 5 QBs will be off the board. We simple can't afford to play the value game if we want a viable prospect in this draft. I dont even see Glennon or Nassib falling to us in the 2nd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CGJET View Post
    ahere's the reality of the 2013 season. Sanchez will be the starting QB for the Jets. Why? Because no one will trade for him and he's owed too much money to cut. This isn't to say the Jets won't look for a QB who would be affordble and be able to come in and not stink it up too much. It will be another down year until a real QB is drafted.
    No way will he be the day 1 starter. Could he do an Alex Smith and spend a few games as the BU then take over again maybe. They have to try something else no OC is going to walk into that mess saying he can make Sanchez work. It would be a career killer. Ask Fassell how that works Boller pretty much ended his NFL career.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is too many teams that need a QB this year to let any of the big 3 fall to the 2nd. I know Wilson doesn't have a high draft stock know but if he is there for Denver, Chicago, Dallas, or SF don't be shocked if any one of they say hey why not. Manning is how old and Hannie is his BU. Why not pick a guy like Wilson to play behind Manning a few years? Like NE did with Mallett. Manning is have a good year but in the same account has taken a beating behind that line. Romo is aging has 1 year left in his deal. Will Jones really want to give him the 5 years 100 mill he will want same with Chicago and the quitter Cutler? I don't think SF is 100% sold on Collin. They just realize Smith is not the man to get them anywhere. I honestly can't see any scenario where one of the big 3 falls out of the 1st. Not to mention if KC does bulk on QB 1 overall they will either trade up or draft a QB with that 33 pick. I don't see them going anther year with Cassell and Quinn. It would be like us going anther year with Sanchez and Tebow. Then you still have Philly, Jax, Buff, and Zona that pick again before we will. Simply put if you actually want a good QB you have to swallow your pride and draft one early. By the time we pick in the 2nd my guess is at least 5 QBs will be off the board. We simple can't afford to play the value game if we want a viable prospect in this draft. I dont even see Glennon or Nassib falling to us in the 2nd.
    DEN? Nah. They have Oz.
    CHI? Maybe.
    DAL? Not unless they release Orton.
    SF? Not if Kaepernick is your future QB.

I'd love to nab Wilson in the second.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with much of your perspective but QB is a position you just can't force. They can't use a top 15 pick on any of the QBs coming out this year. All of those mentioned need a lot of work and refinement. I like the route of finding a hold the fort guy and taking a flyer in the 2nd or 3rd round... If we must take a QB in the first round, they Jets need to trade back into the 20s to do so and at least get an extra pick out of the deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Plus a million

First...fire Tannenbaum Sparano and Teblow

Second..hire a football Tsar and let him decide on the HC Assistants and scouting staff

Until then NO Flynns. NO Quinns..NO Shmiins

NO Moores...NO Lesses

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    No sg3 would be better!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I agree with much of your perspective but QB is a position you just can't force. They can't use a top 15 pick on any of the QBs coming out this year. All of those mentioned need a lot of work and refinement. I like the route of finding a hold the fort guy and taking a flyer in the 2nd or 3rd round... If we must take a QB in the first round, they Jets need to trade back into the 20s to do so and at least get an extra pick out of the deal.
    It isn't forcing QBs go earlier then their percived value most of the time based on they are the biggest piece of the puzzle. If you like a guy you have to take him and not mess around playing the #s game. Did Washington overpay for RG3 last year? Yes they did but they knew they had too. Sanchez, Locker, Rivers, Ponder, Russell, Flacco, Alex Smith, Eli, Cutler, and Lienard Are all guys I can think of off the top of my head who's draft value was more then their preserved value. Barkley, Geno and Wilson are better prospects then most of those guys. Lienard was considered a top ten pick but most people said he was 2nd round value right off the bat. Very seldom can you stay put or trade back and still get a guy you see as being a potential franchise QB. More often when that happen it is more likely your getting a Clausen or Quinn then a Rodgers or Big Ben. If you like Wilson you flat out have to take him at 15 or where ever you pick. Trading back even 5 spots could end up with a team like Chi or Dallas stealing your guy. You can't just bet that no one else wants that guy if you do. It is not like taking a TE or OL the next guy down is just that a step down. When it comes to QBs your 1st choice is almost always better then your 2nd 3rd or even 4th in some cases.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 12-27-2012 at 07:29 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It isn't forcing QBs go earlier then their percived value most of the time based on they are the biggest piece of the puzzle. If you like a guy you have to take him and not mess around playing the #s game. Did Washington overpay for RG3 last year? Yes they did but they knew they had too. Sanchez, Locker, Rivers, Ponder, Russell, Flacco, Alex Smith, Eli, Cutler, and Lienard Are all guys I can think of off the top of my head who's draft value was more then their preserved value. Barkley, Geno and Wilson are better prospects then most of those guys. Lienard was considered a top ten pick but most people said he was 2nd round value right off the bat. Very seldom can you stay put or trade back and still get a guy you see as being a potential franchise QB. More often when that happen it is more likely your getting a Clausen or Quinn then a Rodgers or Big Ben. If you like Wilson you flat out have to take him at 15 or where ever you pick. Trading back even 5 spots could end up with a team like Chi or Dallas stealing your guy. You can't just bet that no one else wants that guy if you do. It is not like taking a TE or OL the next guy down is just that a step down. When it comes to QBs your 1st choice is almost always better then your 2nd 3rd or even 4th in some cases.
    I don't think there are any good QB prospects coming out this year... Just my opinion! I would reach for an RG3, Newton, Luck , Leinart, Sanchez ... Only because they were all projected as franchise QBs. Obviously the last two are not. That is why I trade back.... While we need a QB, if a Franchise QB is not available and you take one of these other guys too high you forced the issue.
    It all comes down to whether or not you think those guys coming out this year are Franchise QBs. My philosophy is you only take a Franchise QB in the first round or you can take a first round flyer if you either have 2 first round picks or you are picking 22 - 32 in the draft...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taking a QB in 1st round because he is one of the best QBs is a weak class is how you end up with a Sanchez.
    You're right that its worth it if the QB is truly a franchise QB, but you better be very confident about that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Taking a QB in 1st round because he is one of the best QBs is a weak class is how you end up with a Sanchez.
    You're right that its worth it if the QB is truly a franchise QB, but you better be very confident about that.
    I agree with jPoppy on this one.

It's going to be hard to attract another QB when he knows that Sanchez will be #1 and no matter how bad Sanchez stinks it up, you'll never get the chance to start for realz. Hmmmm ..... maybe a rookie would go for that, or Brady Quinn. Yeah.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know exactly what will happen, don't you? Tebow will go to Jacksonville and be very successful, get them to the playoffs and win a couple of games once they get there. Meanwhile the Jets will bring in someone like Flynn or Quinn who will fall flat on their face and the Jets will head into 2014 without Ryan and a whole new set of nauseating problems they won't have any idea how to solve...

Don't give it a second thought, this is exactly what's going to happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I don't think there are any good QB prospects coming out this year... Just my opinion! I would reach for an RG3, Newton, Luck , Leinart, Sanchez ... Only because they were all projected as franchise QBs. Obviously the last two are not. That is why I trade back.... While we need a QB, if a Franchise QB is not available and you take one of these other guys too high you forced the issue.
    It all comes down to whether or not you think those guys coming out this year are Franchise QBs. My philosophy is you only take a Franchise QB in the first round or you can take a first round flyer if you either have 2 first round picks or you are picking 22 - 32 in the draft...
    Most where expected but not really projected. Sanchez was a huge reach at 5. Was in no way a blue chip prospect at all. He was a raw long term project and really wasn't 1st round value IMO. We liked him we reached because we didn't want someone else to draft him. Sometimes that is how it is. Leinard by all accounts was what you see is what you get. Most scouts said he didn't have a great upside. They just kept saying he was "pro ready". Which is stupid to say about any college QB IMO. Even Newton most people called a 3 year project but was worth the risk. Most QBs that go top ten aren't really top ten talent. Stafford never played under C. Vick was 6 ft. Bradford was off a bad injury. Did anyone really know who Matt Ryan was prior to him going #3? Russell was the next Vince Young and no one thought Vince Young would be a good pro. lol This is what people draft in the top ten. Why because QB is worth the risk.

Barkley looks like a blue chip prospect people just don't like him because he is from USC and on the short side. I get not saying he isn't worth #1 overall but he is a solid 1st round prospect. Geno I am more weary of but he has a much higher up side. He is equal to what Stafford was coming out of college. People didn't like him either but he looked great at the combine. He has a rare ability to make plays happen. Wilson is Barkley just with less skill and more violent. I like him. Honestly Tyler Bray was the guy I liked most but he killed his draft stock with poor attitude. This is just a deep draft. Even if you dont think there is a QB worth a 1st there are at least 8 maybe 9 that are worth looking at as solid pro QBs. Yeah sometimes you reach and it fails but you can win if you dont take some risks.

I hated the Sanchez pick from day 1. I did however understand the move. Continuing to sign aging QBs and draft low end QBs was getting us no where. You can't keep hoping guys like Brooks and Ainge are going to be your savior. They made a choice. Good or bad the reward was well worth the risk. Same thing applies here IMO. Maybe you get anther Sanchez but maybe you find that next franchise QB. Either way the risk needs to be taken. You can't just say there is no franchise QB because no college QB is a true franchise QB. You can spend 3-4 years hoping someone comes along in the draft. That means 3-4 years of other team garbage running the team and no guarantee you will ever get that guy you are waiting for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    My point is this isn't a weak class. When Sanchez was drafted to was really just 3 QB worth even looking at. That is not the case this year. Nate Davis is not the 4th best guy here. The fact that 2 of the top 3 QB in that class succeed means that we just picked the wrong guy. Weak class or not good QBs where found just not by us.