Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible new OC candidate Pat Shurmur

Banned

Possible new OC candidate Pat Shurmur

He helped the Rams improve to a 7-9 record following a 1-15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.
    I think this guy is perfect for a situation like the Jets are in. He had a rookie QB in Bradford and under his guidance Bradford threw for 3,500 yards and completed 60% of his passes. After he left Bradford's's completion percentage dropped to 53%. He's only 47 and according to reports he will be fired at the end of the season bc the new owner wants his own guys and wants to make a splash. The fastest way to get to the top of the potential head coaching list is to turn a bad situation around. That's what he did in St. Louis and i think he would be willing to do it again. As long as Rex promises to let him run his offense the way he sees fit. No more ground and pound. Shurmur was also the Eagles QB coach from 2002-2008 right in the prime of McNabb's career. This guy knows how to coach and develop QB's. Exactly what we need.

Tom Heckert for GM and Pat Shurmur at OC is a winning combination

Pat Shurmur would be a great candidate as would Norv Turner.
    Id be happy with either of these guys as OC as long as we also have a new Head Coach

No thanks.

Once again, why not look south at NO -- proven success on the offensive side of the ball for the past 4/5 years?? Enough with these retreads. Let's tap one of NO offensive assistants and bring a new offensive philosophy to our organization that is suited for today's rules/game.

Hall Of Fame
    Only person we should look at moving laterally or taking a demotion is Norv. Other than him we need someone who is ascending. Besides I think Shurmur might get another HC job.

What is wrong with Marty Morningwhig asa canidate

Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Good choice. Would be very happy with him as GM

Agree. If you want to bring in Holmgren as the top guy overseeing all football related things I'm OK with that too. Just like what was in place in Cleveland before the recent ownership change.

Nothing wrong with having a Holmgren in the building to offer QB developing tips.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Agree. If you want to bring in Holmgren as the top guy overseeing all football related things I'm OK with that too. Just like what was in place in Cleveland before the recent ownership change.

Nothing wrong with having a Holmgren in the building to offer QB developing tips.
    I don't understand how anyone can look at the Browns and think "Yup, I want my team to be just like them"

You're talking about a team who's constantly picking in the top 10, has terrible depth/talent overall, and who has made questionable personnel decisions time and time again

Oh my god no. Shurmur's playcalling and in-game personnel management have been atrocious. I want no part of a guy who replaces Trent Richardson with Chris Ogbanaya at any point in a game.

Banned
    The problem I have with Heckert is that he didn't make the move to get RG3. All the Browns had to do was match the Redskins offer. They were in the drivers seat. I'm sure the Rams would rather have only moved back a couple of spots to put them in a position to draft Jackson's replacement in Richardson or look to move back again and pick up more picks. And with that one non-move he signed his own termination papers and I wouldn't trust him to get the QB we need to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can look at the Browns and think "Yup, I want my team to be just like them"

You're talking about a team who's constantly picking in the top 10, has terrible depth/talent overall, and who has made questionable personnel decisions time and time again
    Tom Heckert has a pretty good track record with the Dolphins and Eagles.
    Hes only been with the Browns since 2010 and has picked some pretty good players- Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Phil Taylor, Trent Richardson, Greg Little, Jabaal Sheard, Mitchel Schwartz, Shawn Lauvao..just to name a few.

Do the Browns still suck? Yes, but not because of Heckert's picks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    No thanks.

Once again, why not look south at NO -- proven success on the offensive side of the ball for the past 4/5 years?? Enough with these retreads. Let's tap one of NO offensive assistants and bring a new offensive philosophy to our organization that is suited for today's rules/game.
    Bringing in an offensive assistant who has never called plays doesn't guarantee you that he will run a NO style offense. I'm tired of having coordinators who have never called plays before. I want someone who has proven to be successful in that job before and who has a proven track record of developing and getting the most out of his QB's. Someone like Shurmur or Turner fit that criteria. You are bringing in a guy to basically run the entire offense bc Rex doesn't have a clue on that side of the ball. You can't bring somebody in who has never called plays or run an offense at the NFL level to do that. In order to get a top offensive coordinator Rex will have to give them autonomy in running plays and the system they will bring in.
    Last edited by Choon328; 12-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

To whom?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Tom Heckert has a pretty good track record with the Dolphins and Eagles.
    Hes only been with the Browns since 2010 and has picked some pretty good players- Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Phil Taylor, Trent Richardson, Greg Little, Jabaal Sheard, Mitchel Schwartz, Shawn Lauvao..just to name a few.

Do the Browns still suck? Yes, but not because of Heckert's picks
    I'd argue that a lot of those picks also had to do with their position in the draft though.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The problem I have with Heckert is that he didn't make the move to get RG3. All the Browns had to do was match the Redskins offer. They were in the drivers seat. I'm sure the Rams would rather have only moved back a couple of spots to put them in a position to draft Jackson's replacement in Richardson or look to move back again and pick up more picks. And with that one non-move he signed his own termination papers and I wouldn't trust him to get the QB we need to be successful.
    100% agreed. I'm impressed with the direction Heckert was going in. He had a couple of good drafts and it looks like the Browns are only a few pieces away. But he essentially traded RG3 for TRich and Weeden... and that's the kiss of death that clouds over a field of good decisions.

The new GM needs to come from a team that has a recent history of acquiring and developing good QBs. Someone from the San Francisco staff that saw first-hand how Harbaugh handled Smith and Kaep. Someone from the Seahawks staff that saw first-hand how Carroll handled Wilson. Someone from the Redskins staff who was instrumental in the drafting of RG3 and Cousins. This GM would know what kind of OC to bring in.

All Pro
    I think this guy is perfect for a situation like the Jets are in. He had a rookie QB in Bradford and under his guidance Bradford threw for 3,500 yards and completed 60% of his passes. After he left Bradford's's completion percentage dropped to 53%. He's only 47 and according to reports he will be fired at the end of the season bc the new owner wants his own guys and wants to make a splash. The fastest way to get to the top of the potential head coaching list is to turn a bad situation around. That's what he did in St. Louis and i think he would be willing to do it again. As long as Rex promises to let him run his offense the way he sees fit. No more ground and pound. Shurmur was also the Eagles QB coach from 2002-2008 right in the prime of McNabb's career. This guy knows how to coach and develop QB's. Exactly what we need.
    Who is he coaching now? Schitty is OC at St. Louis.

is shurmur a legacy (son of fritz)? if so then pass.

Bringing in an offensive assistant who has never called plays doesn't guarantee you that he will run a NO style offense. I'm tired of having coordinators who have never called plays before. I want someone who has proven to be successful in that job before and who has a proven track record of developing and getting the most out of his QB's. Someone like Shurmur or Turner fit that criteria. You are bringing in a guy to basically run the entire offense bc Rex doesn't have a clue on that side of the ball. You can't bring somebody in who has never called plays or run an offense at the NFL level to do that. In order to get a top offensive coordinator Rex will have to give them autonomy in running plays and the system they will bring in.
    I think his thought process there is, "Drew Brees scores a lot of points for New Orleans, Drew Brees is kinda short, Mark Sanchez is also kinda short, bring in anyone from the Saints and they will teach Sanchez how to throw for 5K yards every year, no problem."

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post

You do understand this is only Heckert's 3rd yr as GM? The great Eric Mangini and George Kokinos didn't exactly fill the cupboard with alot of groceries.

And review his résumé.