Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Sparano and Tannenbaum will be gone and not Rex

Banned

Why Sparano and Tannenbaum will be gone and not Rex

Just thinking about this I came up with what I think is a rational reason Rex will be given another opportunity and the aforementioned won't.

Tebow Issue:

I believe that bringing Tebow in was a Tannenbaum/Sparano decision. I am not naive enough to believe that Rex didn't sign off on it but I fully believe that when they all met about it, including Woody, I think Sparano and Tanny saw the positive impact that Tebow could have on the offense and special teams if used correctly. I think Tanny and Sparano fought to have Tebow here. I believe Rex trusted Sparano enough to be able to use him to maximize his effectiveness in games and I fully believe Sparano made Rex believe that. Why wouldn't he? If you look at it Tebow is the perfect Wildcat guy on paper. I understand what Sparano thought but he never utilized him in the correct ways. 3rd or 4th and 1 should have been Tebow time, not on 1st and 10 after your offense has made a few good plays in the middle of the field. We all heard the rumblings that going into the Titans game that Sparano and Tanny wanted Sanchez to start. I don't think the reason for that was to have Sanchez' back I think that they knew Rex would not start Tebow and if he went in a different direction then Sanchez that it would be McElroy and thus sealing both of their fates. That's what ultimately is getting Sparano fired.

Depth:

Tanny is getting fired not for failed draft picks or FA signings, he is getting fired b/c he didn't put together a competitive roster on the offensive side of the ball. Plain and simple. He ignored an entire half of the team and that is ultimately what the downfall of this team was.

Rex:

Rex is not getting fired. He is known as a defensive coach and for 4 seasons he has put together a playoff caliber defense. And this year the team would have no more then 4 wins if it wasn't for the defense and in the first 2 years the Jets would have been a .500 or below team if not for the defense. And even though this years defense has not been perceived as being top 10 in the league Rex has actually put together a top 10 defense without arguably the best defensive player in the league. Most coaches would not have been able to do that. He has lived up to his part of the deal, Tanny and Sanchez failed him on offense.

Now some people will say that Sanchez and Rex are tied together. Some will argue that Rex handpicked Sanchez. I don't think that is true. I believe after Rex met with Sanchez he loved his demeanor and make up. But ultimately the scouts and GM need to sign off on his talent level. Rex being a defensive guy would never have been asked if he thought Sanchez had all of the tools to be a great QB. One of the biggest decisions in franchise history was not made from one interview by the head coach whose expertise is defense it was made by all of the research and scouting that was put into it as well as getting to know Sanchez personally. It was the culmination of everything they put into it. If Norv Turner is your head coach and you draft a top 5 QB then I'm sure that he would have had a lot to do with the reason they drafted the QB but not Rex Ryan. Rex is offensively retarded, Sanchez was not his pick alone it was the consensus of the organization. That's why the Sanchez failure doesn't fall on him. And that's why he is not being blamed by the owner for the failure of the past 2 seasons.

Sparano will stay... This year was on the QB, the running game and offensive line have done a good job. Give the guy a QB and see if he can do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Sparano will stay... This year was on the QB, the running game and offensive line have done a good job. Give the guy a QB and see if he can do the job.
    Sparano will be fired right after the game on Sunday.

Just curious, any egg nog hangover given your stated position above?

Jets Insider VIP
    All 3 wil be gone in 5 days.

Can't wait to see what high quality GM we get when we tell them they have to stick with Rex.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    That's a real possibility. If Woody has his eye set on a cracker jack GM who would want to bring in their own HC, this could very well happen.

A lot can happen in the next week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Can't wait to see what high quality GM we get when we tell them they have to stick with Rex.
    I think the fan perception of Rex is way different then the perception of people in the NFL who can actually be qualified to form an opinion of him. If Rex gets fired Monday, he will be a head coach in the NFL next year somewhere. People always credit Sanchez for the 4 road playoff wins but in all honesty he was just along for the ride. Any average QB would have won those games, those wins were b/c of the defense and by extension Rex. I would love for someone to name 5 current head coaches or coordinators who have more then 4 road playoff wins or name 10 head coaches or coordinators who have more then 4 total playoff wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I think the fan perception of Rex is way different then the perception of people in the NFL who can actually be qualified to form an opinion of him. If Rex gets fired Monday, he will be a head coach in the NFL next year somewhere. People always credit Sanchez for the 4 road playoff wins but in all honesty he was just along for the ride. Any average QB would have won those games, those wins were b/c of the defense and by extension Rex. I would love for someone to name 5 current head coaches or coordinators who have more then 4 road playoff wins or name 10 head coaches or coordinators who have more then 4 total playoff wins.
    Two year's ago, I would have agreed. Now? Not a chance in hell.

GMs and owners have seen how this franchise has imploded, players have floundered, the last two seasons. At the end of his fourth year, Rex still has not evolved into an NFL HC. He's stuck in his DC role.

Jets Insider VIP
    Teblow goes first

Then his cult

Then Tannenbaum

With the place fumigated on Monday the Jets can move along and start on getting things fixed for the future

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Two year's ago, I would have agreed. Now? Not a chance in hell.

GMs and owners have seen how this franchise has imploded, players have floundered, the last two seasons. At the end of his fourth year, Rex still has not evolved into an NFL HC. He's stuck in his DC role.
    I actually believe other GM's blame Tanny a lot more then Rex b/c Tanny has not put anywhere near a complete team together. He neglected the offense for the past 4 years and when he tried to address it he made the wrong decisions (Holmes, Tebow). What defensive head coach has ever called offensive plays? What defensive head coach has ever been a major part of putting together an offense? If you believe that guys like Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith or Marvin Lewis have any say in what offensive plays get called during the game then you're naive. Just like saying Sean Payton has anything to do with the Saints defense. Head coaches always coach to their strength and know how to delegate responsibilities they don't know about to other people who do. I actually think the biggest problem Rex has is that he is trying to become more involved in the offense and in the offensive gameplan. Having such a conservative approach on offense has hindered this team. A veteran offensive coordinator who has had success calling plays and game planning needs to be brought in and Rex needs to be phased out of having anything to do with offensive game planning. If they don't do that the Jets will struggle on offense no matter who is brought in here to run it or play in it. Rex's defenses have kept the Jets relevant the past 4 years, take that away and the team would have imploded in 2009 after Mangini left.
    Last edited by Choon328; 12-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Just thinking about this I came up with what I think is a rational reason Rex will be given another opportunity and the aforementioned won't.

Tebow Issue:

I believe that bringing Tebow in was a Tannenbaum/Sparano decision. I am not naive enough to believe that Rex didn't sign off on it but I fully believe that when they all met about it, including Woody, I think Sparano and Tanny saw the positive impact that Tebow could have on the offense and special teams if used correctly. I think Tanny and Sparano fought to have Tebow here. I believe Rex trusted Sparano enough to be able to use him to maximize his effectiveness in games and I fully believe Sparano made Rex believe that. Why wouldn't he? If you look at it Tebow is the perfect Wildcat guy on paper. I understand what Sparano thought but he never utilized him in the correct ways. 3rd or 4th and 1 should have been Tebow time, not on 1st and 10 after your offense has made a few good plays in the middle of the field. We all heard the rumblings that going into the Titans game that Sparano and Tanny wanted Sanchez to start. I don't think the reason for that was to have Sanchez' back I think that they knew Rex would not start Tebow and if he went in a different direction then Sanchez that it would be McElroy and thus sealing both of their fates. That's what ultimately is getting Sparano fired.

Depth:

Tanny is getting fired not for failed draft picks or FA signings, he is getting fired b/c he didn't put together a competitive roster on the offensive side of the ball. Plain and simple. He ignored an entire half of the team and that is ultimately what the downfall of this team was.

Rex:

Rex is not getting fired. He is known as a defensive coach and for 4 seasons he has put together a playoff caliber defense. And this year the team would have no more then 4 wins if it wasn't for the defense and in the first 2 years the Jets would have been a .500 or below team if not for the defense. And even though this years defense has not been perceived as being top 10 in the league Rex has actually put together a top 10 defense without arguably the best defensive player in the league. Most coaches would not have been able to do that. He has lived up to his part of the deal, Tanny and Sanchez failed him on offense.

Now some people will say that Sanchez and Rex are tied together. Some will argue that Rex handpicked Sanchez. I don't think that is true. I believe after Rex met with Sanchez he loved his demeanor and make up. But ultimately the scouts and GM need to sign off on his talent level. Rex being a defensive guy would never have been asked if he thought Sanchez had all of the tools to be a great QB. One of the biggest decisions in franchise history was not made from one interview by the head coach whose expertise is defense it was made by all of the research and scouting that was put into it as well as getting to know Sanchez personally. It was the culmination of everything they put into it. If Norv Turner is your head coach and you draft a top 5 QB then I'm sure that he would have had a lot to do with the reason they drafted the QB but not Rex Ryan. Rex is offensively retarded, Sanchez was not his pick alone it was the consensus of the organization. That's why the Sanchez failure doesn't fall on him. And that's why he is not being blamed by the owner for the failure of the past 2 seasons.
    Actually, I just read a report that bringing Tebow was a Rex/Tannenbaum decision.

I actually believe other GM's blame Tanny a lot more then Rex b/c Tanny has not put anywhere near a complete team together. He neglected the offense for the past 4 years and when he tried to address it he made the wrong decisions (Holmes, Tebow). What defensive head coach has ever called offensive plays? What defensive head coach has ever been a major part of putting together an offense? If you believe that guys like Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith or Marvin Lewis have any say in what offensive plays get called during the game then you're naive. Just like saying Sean Payton has anything to do with the Saints defense. Head coaches always coach to their strength and know how to delegate responsibilities they don't know about to other people who do. I actually think the biggest problem Rex has is that he is trying to become more involved in the offense and in the offensive gameplan. Having such a conservative approach on offense has hindered this team. A veteran offensive coordinator who has had success calling plays and game planning needs to be brought in and Rex needs to be phased out of having anything to do with offensive game planning. If they don't do that the Jets will struggle on offense no matter who is brought in here to run it or play in it. Rex's defenses have kept the Jets relevant the past 4 years, take that away and the team would have imploded in 2009 after Mangini left.
    First, embrace the concept of short paragraphs. Your structure is, virtually, unreadable.

Rex has been here for four years. After every season, he's told us that he needs to be more involved with the offense; to become a better HC, not just remain mired as a DC. So far, Rex has failed in this mission.

No one is asking Rex to call the offensive plays. (Remember, he is now the head coach, not either the defensive or offensive coordinator.) What we expect of our HC is the ability to staff both those positions with competent coaches. The best Rex could do was to hire Tony Sparano. That should give you some glimmer of Rex' ineptitude in evaluating talent and skill. And, for this alone, he should be fired.

Right, because people were climbing over each other to hire him as a HC before we did. Hell his own team turned him down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    That's the crux of the issue.

A new GM will want to go to war with his own HC.

He's going to build a team based on certain skill sets that he believes will lead to success.

Ryan may not be the right coach in that framework.

Practice Squad
    Your kidding with this, right?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I don't think Rex is going anywhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ken shroy View Post
    I don't think Rex is going anywhere.
    You're probably right.

The dysfunction will continue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    First, embrace the concept of short paragraphs. Your structure is, virtually, unreadable.

Rex has been here for four years. After every season, he's told us that he needs to be more involved with the offense; to become a better HC, not just remain mired as a DC. So far, Rex has failed in this mission.

No one is asking Rex to call the offensive plays. (Remember, he is now the head coach, not either the defensive or offensive coordinator.) What we expect of our HC is the ability to staff both those positions with competent coaches. The best Rex could do was to hire Tony Sparano. That should give you some glimmer of Rex' ineptitude in evaluating talent and skill. And, for this alone, he should be fired.
    I'm sorry that my post is "virtually unreadable" Shakespeare. I'm sure that your one sentence per paragraph structure is grammatically correct. With the multitude of sentence structure errors and punctuation errors I don't think you should be criticizing others on grammar. And I really apologize that you can't read something that nobody else has ever complained about on this site. Here is a suggestion to help you; Hooked on Phonics.

Also, Rex has only made one staffing error since he has been here and that was Sparano. All of the defensive coaches he brought in have led to a top 10 defense each year. When he first got hired he didn't get the opportunity to begin with his own offensive staff, they were already in place. If you're going to suggest firing him for one staffing error then at least give the guy credit for the coaches he brought in that have worked out. But why would you do that, it's obvious you have a "fire Rex" agenda just like many others. Because starting over every 4 years has worked great the past 43 years.
    Last edited by Choon328; 12-26-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Sparano will be fired right after the game on Sunday.
    LOL this. I had high hopes for him, but he is a clown and has zero track record as an OC. IF we had brought in Norv Turner and things went the way it did, we would likely give him a second chance, but our offense regressed under his watch. Unacceptable.

Tanny will be demoted to cap guy and he will take it because no one else woudl give him a GM job. Rex is staying because despite everything else, our defense is still very good.