Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jets are all set at safety next year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing more pathetic than a pats fan calculating the cap space for the jets. Patman and his cronies need to get a life. It's bad enough that jets fans spend time on this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry just made the Pro Bowl. Good luck for the Jets to re-sign him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will see...gloomandoom4ever. we will see

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love for the Jets to resign him, but I think its highly unlikely. On Jason's site, he estimates it will take about 6-7 mil a year to sign him. We just don't have the cap space.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry will get a contract the Jets cant afford any team that wants him bad enough with cap space will easily outbid the Jets and overpay for him you can almost guarantee he will not be a jets next year. If the Jets dump Revis or Cro then maybe but I think the Jets have too many holes and the new GM will look to cut salary and build through the draft. overpaying for the core 4 hasn't helped this franchise in fact its regressed. I think the Jets are done with paying premium money on elite players for a while and will look to build around younger cheaper players to fill more holes quickly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A quick glance at Jason's site shows the following:

These numbers include the "dead money" left behind by some of the players

Cutting J.Smith - $12 Mill
    Trading Tebow - $3 Million
    Cutting Pace - $8.5 Million
    Cutting E. Smith $3Million
    Cut Bart Scott - $7.5 Million
    Pouha - Trade - $4 Million

This is it as far as impact roster cuts go. I count 42 Million in savings there

Harris has a 10 Million dollar base salary that could be restructured.

If we dont cut anyone and let the FA's leave we would be at 141Million in terms of players signed and set to be on the roster. With the cuts above it comes down to 99 Million. The total cap next season should be around $121Mill plus whatever carryover we have left this season ?4Million or so. That puts us at approximately 25 Million under the cap going in to the off season. We would have plenty of players to replace however. Most dont cost much but RB and TE will have glaring holes with starters leaving. The LB corps will be thin without Pace, Thomas and Scott. Also the Safety Positions will need to be addressed not to mention QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post

If we dont cut anyone and let the FA's leave we would be at 141Million in terms of players signed and set to be on the roster. With the cuts above it comes down to 99 Million. The total cap next season should be around $121Mill plus whatever carryover we have left this season ?4Million or so. That puts us at approximately 25 Million under the cap going in to the off season. We would have plenty of players to replace however. Most dont cost much but RB and TE will have glaring holes with starters leaving. The LB corps will be thin without Pace, Thomas and Scott. Also the Safety Positions will need to be addressed not to mention QB.
    We will save a lot, but need to resign 2 safeties, 2 guards, a right tackle, a starting TE, 3 starting linebackers. 25 million for all that is not a lot of money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    There is nothing more pathetic than a pats fan calculating the cap space for the jets. Patman and his cronies need to get a life. It's bad enough that jets fans spend time on this.
    except a jet fan who is not interested in cap discussion commenting on it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does not make sense to sign anyone to a big contract because we are going to suck next year regardless. No more $ FA's, young and cheap is way to go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    We will save a lot, but need to resign 2 safeties, 2 guards, a right tackle, a starting TE, 3 starting linebackers. 25 million for all that is not a lot of money.
    We also need a QB. I think Demario D becomes a starter alongside someone like McIntyre. Its possible we bring Pace back at a reduced salary as well. At TE we likely will go with Cumberland and some low cost FA signing. RB should be addressed in the draft. FA options will either be garbage players (Beanie Wells anyone?) or someone like MJD that may be cost prohibitive. We can get by for another season with Howard at RT. He wont cost much. Basically as I see it we have enough to replace the FA losses and cut players with average guys as well as add a medium priced FA or two. If Cro got traded it would open up some more breathing room for a star type guy like MJD on O however.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry is a huge decision. Guy brings an element that very few teams have with the unbelievably physical play. He causes injuries and certainly fear.

He also misses at times (like every big hitter in the league) and takes some bad angles. Despite how physical he is, he's also pretty good in coverage. Shows plenty of speed.

Even though he made the pro bowl, there are other safeties who deserved it over him but he does impact the game.

And he's going to cost a lot... Really don't know what to do when it comes to him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We also need a QB. I think Demario D becomes a starter alongside someone like McIntyre. Its possible we bring Pace back at a reduced salary as well. At TE we likely will go with Cumberland and some low cost FA signing. RB should be addressed in the draft. FA options will either be garbage players (Beanie Wells anyone?) or someone like MJD that may be cost prohibitive. We can get by for another season with Howard at RT. He wont cost much. Basically as I see it we have enough to replace the FA losses and cut players with average guys as well as add a medium priced FA or two. If Cro got traded it would open up some more breathing room for a star type guy like MJD on O however.
    Howard is going to cost 1.8 mil to tag.

Lagarete Blount can probably be had for a 6th.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Lmfao...

Your source for the Jets being in cap bankruptcy is...

Drumroll

A poster with the user id

Patman

You couldn't make this stuff up. Nobody would believe it

Quit while you are behind troll

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

B.
    You re-structure Harris, you just make it harder to cut him if you need to in the future. That's what re-structuring does, makes it impossible to move players later on. That's why Harris is so expensive now, the first year of the deal he only made 2.2 as base, the rest was bonus. Then it bounced up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post

oh, please school me on where I was wrong (more than 5%). I will wait but I expect you wont respond.