Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Fix The Jets In One Offseason

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

How To Fix The Jets In One Offseason

Here's my plan. Not realistic? You be the judge. This is how it should go, IMO:

Get rid of Tanny AND Rex. Start fresh with a brand new coaching staff. Bring in someone who can devote some time to the offense, and someone who can bring in the 4-3 and attempt to build a defense similar to the Giants' championship teams. Pass-rush heavy.

TRADE: Antonio Cromartie for a 1st Round Pick
    . With Revis coming back next year, CRO's value being sky high off a career year, and so many other holes to fill, IMO exploring this option seems like a no-brainer. Especially with a decent FA market for #2 CBs, we could deal Cro to a team in need of a #1 who is contending for a SB(late 1st, 20-32 range).

TRADE: Sione Pouha for a 2nd Round Pick. When we switch to the 4-3, Pouha will become expendable. Being one of the top NT's in the league, I could easily see a team in need of a rock on their 3-4 DLine offering up a 2nd. Especially if they are in their compete window and need to cash in some chips for 2013-14.

CUT: Santonio Holmes/Bart Scott/Tim Tebow. We need to get rid of the dead weight/bad fits. Holmes can not be on this team next year. The locker room needs a new core, and Holmes can not be a part of it. He's a great player(when he wants to be), but the good isn't worth the bad. Scott and Tebow are obvious cuts. One for lack of ability, the other for just not being a fit.

DRAFTFor sh*ts and giggles, let's assume we end with the 8th pick. Here's my scenario...)
    *Trade down from 8th to the 15th pick range. Picking up an extra 2nd in 2013 and maybe a 3rd or 4th in 2014 in the process*
    1A: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
    1B: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    2A: Dallas Thomas, OG/T, Tennessee
    2B: Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
    2C: Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
    3: Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State
    5-7: BPA OL, CB, DT

Re-Sign: Laron Landry, Mike DeVito, Nick Folk, Brandon Moore, Austin Howard, Dustin Keller, Jeff Cumberland, Lex Hilliard, Braylon Edwards.

LET WALK: Shonn Greene, Jason Hill, Chaz Schilens, Jason Smith, Matt Slauson, Bryan Thomas, Yeremiah Bell.

SIGN: David Carr, QB
    Sebastian Vollmer, RT
    Daryl Smith, OLB
    Mike Jenkins, CB

I am not 100% sure if this would all fit under the cap, since Smith and Vollmer are pretty big signings, but with all the players leaving I'm assuming it would. Our roster would then look something like this:

QB: Mark Sanchez/David Carr/McElroy
    RB: Taylor/Powell/McKnight
    WR: Williams/Kerley/Hill/Edwards/cheap FA or late DP
    TE: Keller/Cumberland
    LT: Ferguson/Draft Pick
    LG: Thomas
    C: Mangold
    RG: Moore/Ducasse
    RT: Vollmer/Howard

DE: Coples
    DT: Wilkerson/Draft Pick
    DT: DeVito/Ellis
    DE: Werner/Pace combo
    OLB: Smith
    MLB: Harris/Davis
    OLB: McIntyre/Brown
    CB: Revis/Lankster
    S: Landry/Smith
    S: Jefferson/Bush
    CB: Jenkins/Wilson

K: Folk
    P: Malone/Free Agent
    KR: McKnight
    PR: Kerley

Yes, Sanchez is still the starter, but IMO it makes the most sense to go this route. Have our new coach give him one year to see if he fits his team. To see if this past season was caused by the circus/lack of confidence, weapons, protection. If he works out, we should have a playoff team. If not, write it off as a re-building year for our young talent to develop, get your top draft pick in 2014 and move on from Sanchez after that season when you won't be killed by the cap-hit.

Personally I like the offense. The potential is there, with a new top-notch receiver in Williams, to go along with the developing Kerley and Hill. Edwards will be Sanchez's one-year security blanket. I am a big fan of Stepfan Taylor, but if you aren't you could easily sub in a guy like Giovani Bernard, who should go in that pick range. Either way, I think the O-Line is improved, the running game is improved, and the receivers are improved. Sanchez will have a better unit to work with.

Defensively, I want to build a truly dominant unit. I love Wilkerson up the middle, and am a big fan of DeVito and think he could be an even better player in the 4-3. On the ends, I like what I've seen from Coples. He's a pretty decent pass rusher but has the size and strength to be effective against the run. I think he could be an elite 4-3 DE once he fully develops. We can roll a 3-headed monster of Coples/Werner/Pace as we rotate each of them, keeping them as fresh as possible. The LB are strong across the board, especially if McIntyre turns into the player I think he can. Brown is a bit of an insurance pick. The corners could be weaker without Cromartie, but I really like Jenkins' potential, and with Revis back and healthy we should still have a very strong unit. Landry should absolutely be retained.

Whether or not this team could be a playoff team in year one will depend on Sanchez and the coaching staff, but worst case I think it's a team with a lot of potential for the future; and a team that finally has direction. I know people will hate the fact that Sanchez is still here, but I think it's the right move considering it is only one year and this is clearly a rebuilding team. Why cripple ourselves in the future for a year where we probably won't be a true contender anyway? Just doesn't make sense.

Sorry for the novel-sized post. Wanted to be as detailed as possible. Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    David Carr??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pipe dream a 1st for Cro & 2nd for Pouha.

Would love to cut cancer Holmes b/c he's untradeable

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Few observations:

- Cromartie is not fetching a first rounder. We're looking at more like a 3rd rounder with a 2nd round conditional for performance. However, I do agree with you that Revis or Cromartie should be traded. I love both players, but if we have to part with one it should be Cro.

- No way Pouha gets a 2nd rounder. We're looking at something like a 5th/6th rounder here. He's old and although he was playing at a high level the past few years, he's having an awful season this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know why people want to switch to a 4-3.
    Our team is built for a 3-4. We are 2 OLBs away from being a ferocious 3-4.
    To switch to a 4-3 means we need to find 2 speedy edge rushers to play 4-3, a MLB who can cover sideline to sideline and another LB to play outside along with Davis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes contract is guaranteed you can cut him but you still have to pay him.

How many teams do you think have 11 mill to pay Cro? Do you understand the cap implications?

Pouha for a 2nd is a joke. The guy is what 32 and has a bad back and played 8 games?

how much cap room do you think the jets are going to have, if you add what you expect to pay for these FA you can get a more informed response.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cant let Rex go. Hes too valuble for the D. Even without revis and other injuries D has played pretty well.. And they are on the field 70% of the game because our O is so bad... He has brought in the right guys in FA, md some great D draft picks.. Notice the Difference between D and O draft picks?

guys are right Po wouldnt get anywhere neara 2nd.. You never get value back trading vets for draft picks.. Draft picks are too valuable, can pay rookies nothing.. Every team wants draft picks..

I thinkby just getting rid of MT, and getting a real OC you will see a big difference.. And if we didnt have the worst qb in the league would be great too.. Thats 3 guys who may be the worst at their jobs in entire NFL.. Get a offensive minded GM who can fix the O. Get a decent OC who can run the O. Get any one else to play qb besides what we have now.. Do that and will see better days..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkertons View Post

Get rid of Tanny AND Rex. Start fresh with a brand new coaching staff. Bring in someone who can devote some time to the offense, and someone who can bring in the 4-3 and attempt to build a defense similar to the Giants' championship teams. Pass-rush heavy.

. With Revis coming back next year, CRO's value being sky high off a career year, and so many other holes to fill, IMO exploring this option seems like a no-brainer. Especially with a decent FA market for #2 CBs, we could deal Cro to a team in need of a #1 who is contending for a SB(late 1st, 20-32 range).

TRADE: Sione Pouha for a 2nd Round Pick. When we switch to the 4-3, Pouha will become expendable. Being one of the top NT's in the league, I could easily see a team in need of a rock on their 3-4 DLine offering up a 2nd. Especially if they are in their compete window and need to cash in some chips for 2013-14.

CUT: Santonio Holmes/Bart Scott/Tim Tebow. We need to get rid of the dead weight/bad fits. Holmes can not be on this team next year. The locker room needs a new core, and Holmes can not be a part of it. He's a great player(when he wants to be), but the good isn't worth the bad. Scott and Tebow are obvious cuts. One for lack of ability, the other for just not being a fit.

DRAFTFor sh*ts and giggles, let's assume we end with the 8th pick. Here's my scenario...)
    *Trade down from 8th to the 15th pick range. Picking up an extra 2nd in 2013 and maybe a 3rd or 4th in 2014 in the process*

Re-Sign: Laron Landry, Mike DeVito, Nick Folk, Brandon Moore, Austin Howard, Dustin Keller, Jeff Cumberland, Lex Hilliard, Braylon Edwards.

LET WALK: Shonn Greene, Jason Hill, Chaz Schilens, Jason Smith, Matt Slauson, Bryan Thomas, Yeremiah Bell.

Sebastian Vollmer, RT
    Daryl Smith, OLB
    Mike Jenkins, CB

I am not 100% sure if this would all fit under the cap, since Smith and Vollmer are pretty big signings, but with all the players leaving I'm assuming it would. Our roster would then look something like this:

Yes, Sanchez is still the starter, but IMO it makes the most sense to go this route. Have our new coach give him one year to see if he fits his team. To see if this past season was caused by the circus/lack of confidence, weapons, protection. If he works out, we should have a playoff team. If not, write it off as a re-building year for our young talent to develop, get your top draft pick in 2014 and move on from Sanchez after that season when you won't be killed by the cap-hit.

Personally I like the offense. The potential is there, with a new top-notch receiver in Williams, to go along with the developing Kerley and Hill. Edwards will be Sanchez's one-year security blanket. I am a big fan of Stepfan Taylor, but if you aren't you could easily sub in a guy like Giovani Bernard, who should go in that pick range. Either way, I think the O-Line is improved, the running game is improved, and the receivers are improved. Sanchez will have a better unit to work with.

Defensively, I want to build a truly dominant unit. I love Wilkerson up the middle, and am a big fan of DeVito and think he could be an even better player in the 4-3. On the ends, I like what I've seen from Coples. He's a pretty decent pass rusher but has the size and strength to be effective against the run. I think he could be an elite 4-3 DE once he fully develops. We can roll a 3-headed monster of Coples/Werner/Pace as we rotate each of them, keeping them as fresh as possible. The LB are strong across the board, especially if McIntyre turns into the player I think he can. Brown is a bit of an insurance pick. The corners could be weaker without Cromartie, but I really like Jenkins' potential, and with Revis back and healthy we should still have a very strong unit. Landry should absolutely be retained.

Whether or not this team could be a playoff team in year one will depend on Sanchez and the coaching staff, but worst case I think it's a team with a lot of potential for the future; and a team that finally has direction. I know people will hate the fact that Sanchez is still here, but I think it's the right move considering it is only one year and this is clearly a rebuilding team. Why cripple ourselves in the future for a year where we probably won't be a true contender anyway? Just doesn't make sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kali yuga View Post
    David Carr??
    That is even worse then keeping SUCKCHEZ. The op must be a Suckchez fan and wrote all that to provide cover for his hero!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Cant let Rex go. Hes too valuble for the D. Even without revis and other injuries D has played pretty well.. And they are on the field 70% of the game because our O is so bad... He has brought in the right guys in FA, md some great D draft picks.. Notice the Difference between D and O draft picks?

guys are right Po wouldnt get anywhere neara 2nd.. You never get value back trading vets for draft picks.. Draft picks are too valuable, can pay rookies nothing.. Every team wants draft picks..

I thinkby just getting rid of MT, and getting a real OC you will see a big difference.. And if we didnt have the worst qb in the league would be great too.. Thats 3 guys who may be the worst at their jobs in entire NFL.. Get a offensive minded GM who can fix the O. Get a decent OC who can run the O. Get any one else to play qb besides what we have now.. Do that and will see better days..
    I am so tired of this------can't let Rex goes, he is a genius DC. Dude, he is the HC, not the DC. Man are people slow.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    That is even worse then keeping SUCKCHEZ. The op must be a Suckchez fan and wrote all that to provide cover for his hero!
    How about contributing something to the thread without being a dick. I suppose that's too much for you though.

As far as the opening post, I think you're overvaluing our players (Cro would fetch a third or maybe a second, and Po's nowhere near a second; 5th or 6th maybe)
    Youre also neglecting our cap situation which is somewhat bleak. All in all, I think the Jets are too far gone for a one offseason fix.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkertons View Post

Sebastian Vollmer, RT
    Daryl Smith, OLB
    Mike Jenkins, CB

Dude, I would hire you tomorrow as GM. Seriously.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is the team fixed if Sanchez is still the QB?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I dont know why people want to switch to a 4-3.
    Our team is built for a 3-4. We are 2 OLBs away from being a ferocious 3-4.
    To switch to a 4-3 means we need to find 2 speedy edge rushers to play 4-3, a MLB who can cover sideline to sideline and another LB to play outside along with Davis.
    +1

Besides, we play a lot of four man fronts anyway. Never understood why people get worked up over this. I'd rather run a hybrid offense like we do than a vanilla four man base defense that relies heavily on edge rushers, zero of which we possess right now. Keep the 3-4 and use at least one early to mid round pick on an OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about this:

Trade Brick ferguson to the Bears for a 1st : What sense does it make having a pass blocking LT who can't run block on a team with no QB who can throw the football.

Trade Darrelle Revis for a 1st : The Jets can no longer afford this player's salary on a team with Cromartie ; 1 must go,and since Cro won't get us what Revis will even coming off his injury, Revis goes.

3 1st round picks ought to give us enough ammo to rebuild the OL, get a Pass rusher and still be able to get our QB in the 2nd round.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    How about contributing something to the thread without being a dick. I suppose that's too much for you though.
    Trust me. It is.

The only good thing about KJ is that he can also see that Braylon is needed on this team. (maybe.... )

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    How about this:

Trade Brick ferguson to the Bears for a 1st : What sense does it make having a pass blocking LT who can't run block on a team with no QB who can throw the football.

Trade Darrelle Revis for a 1st : The Jets can no longer afford this player's salary on a team with Cromartie ; 1 must go,and since Cro won't get us what Revis will even coming off his injury, Revis goes.

3 1st round picks ought to give us enough ammo to rebuild the OL, get a Pass rusher and still be able to get our QB in the 2nd round.
    One can dream.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Dude, I would hire you tomorrow as GM. Seriously.
    How will you make all this happen under the current cap with all the contracts we have and the dead money we have to eat based on the moves u made..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    awful, hate it, never gonna happen

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    How will you make all this happen under the current cap with all the contracts we have and the dead money we have to eat based on the moves u made..