Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Pete Carroll...from cheerleader to great coach(?)

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Pete Carroll...from cheerleader to great coach(?)

    The guy failed with the Jets and Pats and while it's still early it can't be denied how well coached Seattle is. While known as a defensive guy that team is balanced/coached well on both sides of the ball. Did the poodle all of a sudden get a lot smarter or is it simply the personnel making him look good? Did coaching USC do something...quite the turnaround in coaching ability, no?
    Last edited by PatriotReign; 12-26-2012 at 05:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    698
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pete got a raw deal with the Jets. Should have been given 1 more year.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    The guy failed rather sadly with the Jets and Pats and while it's still early it can't be denied how stacked and well coached Seattle is. While known as a defensive guy that team is balanced/coached well on both sides of the ball. Did the poodle all of a sudden get a lot smarter or is it simply the personnel making him look good? Did coaching USC do something...quite the turnaround in coaching ability, no?
    To be correct he never got a chance yo fail or succeed with the Jets...


    Our idiot owner fired him in less thsn s full season when he found out from his daughter that the next Vince Lombardi, Richie Kotite had been released by the Eagles and was available

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    What killed Carroll with the pats was Bobby Grier overruling him on player discipline. He was a rah rah players coach who like Rex followed a hard ass coach. he treated the players as men and instead the team refused to police themselves.

    When he went to Seattle he got the final authority on all thing relating to personnel. He no longer has to worry about the FO backing him. I am sure he has learned that a large percentage of football players are like over aged frat boys, that need to be directed and can not be trusted on their own.

    The guy is a nice person also. (or I should say he projects that persona)

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Jet fan View Post
    Pete got a raw deal with the Jets. Should have been given 1 more year.
    agreed.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pete has always been a decent coach. The difference now is that he has a QB.

  7. #7
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like
    He got a damn good quarterback and the respect of his team.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Pete has always been a decent coach. The difference now is that he has a QB.
    It just goes to show that its borderline impossible for a team to be legit contenders without both.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    911
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was a great DC with us..

    As a HC the team totally quit on him after that brutal loss to the Dolphins..

    I think he should have been given at least another year and maybe we could have avoided that complete dump down the toilet that the hiring of Kotite presented..

    Did a good job as DC with SF..

    With the Patriots he might have deserved one more year but Kraft's son really had a hard on for "BB"... In fact tried to talk his dad into making the switch in 99 but Kraft gave Carroll his one more year in his mind and you can't really argue with the switch there...

    Went and had his success in college..

    As far as recycled coaches go you can argue he is as good as it gets..

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    It just goes to show that its borderline impossible for a team to be legit contenders without both.
    Great point....that's why the Jets continue to flounder.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Pete has always been a decent coach. The difference now is that he has a QB.
    That is the difference ... If you have the QB with good skill players on offence and a decent defence ... They can make any coach look all world. Aikman surrounded by talent carried two different coaches to the Super Bowl in three successful trips.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,242
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Pete has always been a decent coach. The difference now is that he has a QB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    That is the difference ... If you have the QB with good skill players on offence and a decent defence ... They can make any coach look all world. Aikman surrounded by talent carried two different coaches to the Super Bowl in three successful trips.
    We all agree... HOWEVER,


    This is the difference IMO

    1) Rex/Jets would never have drafted Wilson.
    2) if Wilson were forced on him, rex wouldn't play him (See Woodhead)

    Even the Tuna was forced with his back against the wall to play and then acknowledge that Romo was a gamer.

    Pete is a very good coach, this QB makes all the difference. Pete, like Harbaugh, made a tough decision and won. rex wont do that.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would give Carroll coach of the year. First, think of the balls it took to start Russell Wilson over Flynn. 90% of coaches would not have even considered it. Even if Wilson had shown well in training camp, almost any coach would have toed the company line and started Flynn because he got the big contract and made Wilson the backup to develop. That was very outside the box thinking and he has been rewarded for it. He's also resurrected Lynch's career, put together a solid across the board D, and made a ton of smart moves on the field. His team is built for long-term success. His players seem to love him.

    Hell of a job this guy has done

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    We all agree... HOWEVER,

    1) Rex/Jets would never have drafted Wilson.
    Post-draft reports indicated that Bradway was incredibly high on Wilson and there was a good chance that we'd bite on him in the 3rd round. He went to Seattle 2 picks ahead of us. We then stepped up and chose Demario Davis, who nobody had ever heard of before.

    You tell me if we weren't planning on drafting Wilson and then had to scramble to get our ILB pick in 2 spots later when Seattle grabbed him...

    For the record, not saying Davis isn't good, just saying that he was probably drafted higher than he should have been.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    We all agree... HOWEVER,


    This is the difference IMO

    1) Rex/Jets would never have drafted Wilson.
    2) if Wilson were forced on him, rex wouldn't play him (See Woodhead)

    Even the Tuna was forced with his back against the wall to play and then acknowledge that Romo was a gamer.

    Pete is a very good coach, this QB makes all the difference. Pete, like Harbaugh, made a tough decision and won. rex wont do that.
    +1
    Saw an interview with Pete last night. Said money had no influence on his decision regarding benching Flynn for Wilson.
    Said, "best players play"
    That's the difference between guys like Carol & Harbaugh compared to loyal Rexy.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Post-draft reports indicated that Bradway was incredibly high on Wilson and there was a good chance that we'd bite on him in the 3rd round. He went to Seattle 2 picks ahead of us. We then stepped up and chose Demario Davis, who nobody had ever heard of before.

    You tell me if we weren't planning on drafting Wilson and then had to scramble to get our ILB pick in 2 spots later when Seattle grabbed him...

    For the record, not saying Davis isn't good, just saying that he was probably drafted higher than he should have been.
    All that tells you is the Jets never effing learned anything from missing out on Favre.
    If you think you need a QB, YOU GO GET HIM!

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I would give Carroll coach of the year. First, think of the balls it took to start Russell Wilson over Flynn. 90% of coaches would not have even considered it. Even if Wilson had shown well in training camp, almost any coach would have toed the company line and started Flynn because he got the big contract and made Wilson the backup to develop. That was very outside the box thinking and he has been rewarded for it.
    That's a good point...too often players get a pass based on salary and draft status while more effective ham and eggers have to work twice as hard.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    +1
    Saw an interview with Pete last night. Said money had no influence on his decision regarding benching Flynn for Wilson.
    Said, "best players play"
    That's the difference between guys like Carol & Harbaugh compared to loyal Rexy.
    It's amazing how many coaches won't follow that philosophy.

    As for Pete, maybe he just learned a lot and matured as a coach over the years coaching for USC.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    The guy failed with the Jets and Pats and while it's still early it can't be denied how well coached Seattle is. While known as a defensive guy that team is balanced/coached well on both sides of the ball. Did the poodle all of a sudden get a lot smarter or is it simply the personnel making him look good? Did coaching USC do something...quite the turnaround in coaching ability, no?
    Yet another example of how much a QB means in the league. Especially today.


    But that team has done a great job getting talent on the defense though. Absolutely fantastic.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    +1
    Saw an interview with Pete last night. Said money had no influence on his decision regarding benching Flynn for Wilson.
    Said, "best players play"
    That's the difference between guys like Carol & Harbaugh compared to loyal Rexy.
    Who are you seriously suggesting isn't playing although they are better than the starter?

    Obviously it's not the QB position. Sanchez sucks and I hate him but he's still better than the other two.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us