Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Tim Tebow Defends Character

All Jets 24/7
    Post Thanks / Like

Post New Story: Tim Tebow Defends Character

Florham Park, N.J.: According to reports last week, Tim Tebow had asked out of any Wildcat plays that would've been called in Sunday's game against San Diego. These reports came across as very un-Tebow-like, as he stood behind his team-first attitude week after week this season.

"He knew I was frustrated, but I didn't ask out," said Tebow. "I didn't say that I wouldn't do anything."

And of course when some media outlets saw their opening to attack Tebow's character, which had been almost impossible to this point, many took the stage to rip him for being selfish and for not...

More...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a said comment on living here, we busted the spirit of a truly (I think anyway) nice guy.

I never wanted him to play QB, but I don't like people being f\/cked over either. We know they made the promises. We know they did the same thing to the backup QB they screwed just before they got Tebow.

And you can't totally blame the media... they wouldn't have jobs if people didn't read thier trash.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What promises are you talking about?

Tebow was told from day one that he would be their *Wildcat* QB and Personal Punt-Protector.

Tebow was the one who wanted to be the #2 QB as a condition of signing with the Jets.

He was NOT promised to be anything more than what he was told he would be on this team. If he thought otherwise due to him being the #2, that's his problem.

I hope he enjoys Jacksonville.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are a for profit enterprise, and Tebow is paid handsomely to do what he's told. It seems he didn't do enough with his limited opportunities to get the start. Or, the Jets know he's on his way out and want to develop McElroy. Or, they didn't want to change the entire offense for two games. Or, they changed their mind on a whim.

He's disappointed. Too bad. I think I should be CEO of my company but I'm not. Does that mean my company has wasted my career so far?

If anyone wasted a year of tebow's career, it's Tebow. Take some personal responsibility.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody cares about Tebow. He's not that good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Tebow was told from day one that he would be their *Wildcat* QB and Personal Punt-Protector.

Tebow was the one who wanted to be the #2 QB as a condition of signing with the Jets.
    He was NOT promised to be anything more than what he was told he would be on this team. If he thought otherwise due to him being the #2, that's his problem.
    And you know all this because? You don't know squat. I'm sure however, without inside knowledge, that scummy FO's told him he was number two and would play if Sanchez got benched. He wouldn't have come otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed
    The Jets are a for profit enterprise, and Tebow is paid handsomely to do what he's told. It seems he didn't do enough with his limited opportunities to get the start. Or, the Jets know he's on his way out and want to develop McElroy. Or, they didn't want to change the entire offense for two games. Or, they changed their mind on a whim.
    He's disappointed. Too bad. I think I should be CEO of my company but I'm not. Does that mean my company has wasted my career so far?
    If anyone wasted a year of tebow's career, it's Tebow. Take some personal responsibility. .
    Don't know what either of you do for a living but if you think that "for profit" means screw who you want when you want then you have no idea what it take to run a sustainable enterprise.

Look where the Jets are right now if you don't agree.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Wrong. He was told he was the number two, and compete for no. 1 Period. Jets lied.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    And you know all this because? You don't know squat. I'm sure however, without inside knowledge, that scummy FO's told him he was number two and would play if Sanchez got benched. He wouldn't have come otherwise.

Don't know what either of you do for a living but if you think that "for profit" means screw who you want when you want then you have no idea what it take to run a sustainable enterprise.

So let's say they told him he was number 2 at the start of camp. Then McElroy outperforms him in practice. Or they decide that, given the new context (the media circus, his imminent departure, Jets unwillingness to install a new offense for two games to suit Tebow's inability to run their current offense, or any of a million other reasons), it's better for the team to go in a different direction. Basically, to change their minds. It's now late December. The world is different than it was in July or August.

Why does that make them insincere? You can't make long term promises. They learned a lot about Tebow from August through December. Now they can more intelligently decide.

Why is this so hard to grasp. If any other player is passed over, it's a non issue. Since it's Tebow....a player who's been ineffective at QB at the pro level.....it's some kind of travesty.

But more importantly, and I aim this question squarely at myself, why are we still talking about him? He's gone after 1 more game, thank God! More interestingly, let's talk about why the Jets thought bringing him on was worth the huge cost of the media circus and clubhouse cancer he carries with him. Or, more interestingly still, why Jax would want him now after seeing him this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and let's not even get into the "Jets would be better off if only Tebow had played more." Tebow did nothing with his opportunities this year. Kerley has more passing yards thannTebowmthis year, and that is pathetic. Kerley made the wildcat actually look a little exciting last week. All Tebow did was lunge strait forward a few times per game. Tebow ran a 4.7something....he's not that fast. And that was before he gained 20 pounds. And take note Jax - Gabbert ran a 4.6.....he's probably a better athlete than Tebow!

Whatever....I'm off to hurl myself off a bridge for continuing to talk about this. My apologies to JI for perpetuating the Tebow talk...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you know all this because? You don't know squat.
    Neither do you but that never stopped you from posting your own ASSUMPTIONS, right?

Relax, Newton....It's called an Opinion for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Wrong. He was told he was the number two, and compete for no. 1 Period. Jets lied.

Care to provide the link explicitly pointing this out?

I'll wait...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still so disgusted with the Jets for not giving this guy a shot at saving the season. Sporano should have taken the 2 weeks during the Bye to install the Tebow offense, and I think the season would have turned out a lot better, and been a hell of a lot more exciting.

Lets just hope this awful season lands us a great draft pick. That's about all we can hope to get out of this debacle, that and a lot of change.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post

If anyone wasted a year of tebow's career, it's Tebow. Take some personal responsibility.
    I wish Woody was the CEO of my company. I could totally suck at my job all year and yet still get paid week after week because my company made no effort to replace me, especially since they owed me a ton of money.

Next time I screw up a report or lose major clients that costs my company money, I'm going to tell my boss that it's not my fault, I need better co-workers. And if you even think about replacing me but can't, I want a bonus because you hurt my feelings.

This is how all offices work, right?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    S Since it's Tebow....a player who's been ineffective at QB at the pro level.....it's some kind of travesty.
    You have a very strange definition of "ineffective" seeing as how Tebow went 8-5 last year with a playoff victory. an 8-5 record is a winning % of 62.5%. There were a grand total of 9 NFL teams that had a better winning %.

As for playoff victories, only 12 teams made it to the playoffs, meaning that right from the start, 20 teams wouldn't have a playoff victory. 8 of the 12 playoff teams played in the WC round, with 4 of those teams losing. This makes 24 QBs without a playoff victory. The Packers lost their first game which was in the divisional round, bringing the total to 25 starting QBs in the NFL without a playoff victory last year.

Given all of the above, it's complete bull**** to claim that Tebow was "ineffective" last season. He definitely wasn't pretty and he played horrendously at times, but he also came alive and played very well at other times, good enough to win games and get his team to the playoffs.

Oh and let's not even get into the "Jets would be better off if only Tebow had played more." Tebow did nothing with his opportunities this year. Kerley has more passing yards thannTebowmthis year, and that is pathetic. Kerley made the wildcat actually look a little exciting last week. All Tebow did was lunge strait forward a few times per game. Tebow ran a 4.7something....he's not that fast. And that was before he gained 20 pounds. And take note Jax - Gabbert ran a 4.6.....he's probably a better athlete than Tebow!
    Tebow ran the plays that our brilliant OC designed and called. If you have a problem with them, as I do, blame the OC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Care to provide the link explicitly pointing this out?

I'll wait...
    Sure. Here's a piece from right after the trade was announced, and prior to Tebow's first press conference:

“We have a No. 1 quarterback. Mark is our No. 1 quarterback. Tim Tebow is our No. 2 quarterback, but he’s also going to do other things for this football team,” Ryan said. “He’s a football player. That’s what I keep wanting to put out there. Let’s not just look at him as a quarterback. I look at him as a football player.”
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2GEDeDEyp
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 12-27-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    You have a very strange definition of "ineffective" seeing as how Tebow went 8-5 last year with a playoff victory. an 8-5 record is a winning % of 62.5%. There were a grand total of 9 NFL teams that had a better winning %.

As for playoff victories, only 12 teams made it to the playoffs, meaning that right from the start, 20 teams wouldn't have a playoff victory. 8 of the 12 playoff teams played in the WC round, with 4 of those teams losing. This makes 24 QBs without a playoff victory. The Packers lost their first game which was in the divisional round, bringing the total to 25 starting QBs in the NFL without a playoff victory last year.

Given all of the above, it's complete bull**** to claim that Tebow was "ineffective" last season. He definitely wasn't pretty and he played horrendously at times, but he also came alive and played very well at other times, good enough to win games and get his team to the playoffs.

Tebow ran the plays that our brilliant OC designed and called. If you have a problem with them, as I do, blame the OC.
    I love that last part. If Tebow stinks, it's because of the plays the OC called and designed. But if Sanchez, McElroy, or anyone else stinks, it's on them. Makes perfect sense.

Also, watch the games from last year. Denver won in spite of Tebow's play. Not because of it. He was barely good enough for those wins, and struggled to move the offense.

But again, I shouldn't have brought that up. My qualm is about how now he's been mistreated here. The jets decided not to play him. So what? Does every backup who never gets a shot have a claim for having been mistreated and wronged by the Jets and every other org who decide to go in another direction?

Also, one other funny thing to consider - it seems the Jaguars are the only NFL organization who might agree with you. Maybe. And let's see what happens. I'll bet you a shiny nickel they barely agree with you and aren't willing to spend even a 7th round draft pick to ensure they get this misused diamond in the rough from the Jets. I bet you they'll just wait for him to be dropped and claim him off waivers since they'll make the reckless gamble that none of the other 31 franchises will offer even a 7th round pick.

Think about that. You and the Jaguars are the only ones who understand this guy's value. The Jets and 30 other NFL franchises think he's not even worth a 7th. Nice!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    That's the straight up truth, Dunnie. Seems some people have short-term memory problems. Good thing we have the internet with all of Rex's press statements to refresh our memories.

This is one of the best posts I've read on the JI. Newton, I never thought Americans would have to explain "for profit" or "capitalism" to another American. I work for my paycheck. What do you guys work for - free? If I don't make money I don't eat. If my boss doesn't make enough money to pay me, then I'm out of a job and he'll do the job himself. I can't blame him.

You think Woody's so rich that he can afford to lose millions on the Jets? You think ANY AMERICAN is that rich? They won't be rich for long if their product sucks as bad as the Jets have this year. Woody's got to at least break even.

Right now Ryan and Tanny have zero credibility. It's going to stink up the Jets in signing free agents, rookies and trades. You're nothing without your word and a good reputation. For those of you that have trouble with this concept, let me simplify it for you:

A DVD player is for sale on eBay by 2 different sellers for the same price. Seller #1 has 100% positive feedback. Seller #2 has 60% positive feedback. I'm buying from the 100% Seller.

Belicheck has 100% positive feedback.
    Ryan has 60% positive feedback.
    All other HC's have 70-99% positive.
    Ryan will be the last choice of any player.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tick Tock

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure. Here's a piece from right after the trade was announced, and prior to Tebow's first press conference:

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2GEDeDEyp
    Rex said that they did not view him as just a QB. I bet after seeing him in practice, he wished he would've left the "just" out of his original statement.
    Last edited by Vin; 12-27-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love that last part. If Tebow stinks, it's because of the plays the OC called and designed. But if Sanchez, McElroy, or anyone else stinks, it's on them. Makes perfect sense.
    Dude, you might have a point if there were threads around here talking about how great an OC Sparano was, instead of threads talking about how badly he sucks AND threads talking about how he is going to be replaced after only 1 year on the job.

Something you won't find is a post from me saying that McElroy sucks, because I haven't seen enough of him to make that determination.

As for Tebow, i've seen what he can do in a "single wing" style offense, and I've also seen many others here at JI, people who aren't even Tebow fans, criticize the play calling and the way that he has been used.

Also, watch the games from last year. Denver won in spite of Tebow's play. Not because of it. He was barely good enough for those wins, and struggled to move the offense.
    I watched every one of his games last year. I'm sure that you watched him drive 95 yards against the Jets to pull out a victory. You want to tell us all how it was the defense that drove those 95 yards ??

Or how about the 200+ yards he put up against Chicago in less than 12 minutes of the 4th Q and overtime ? Guess that was the defense as well ?

Look, I have no problem saying that the defense played a large part in those games, keeping the score close enough so that Denver had a chance, perhaps even scoring themselves, BUT, in the end, it came down to Tebow doing what needed to be done to win those games.

But again, I shouldn't have brought that up. My qualm is about how now he's been mistreated here. The jets decided not to play him. So what? Does every backup who never gets a shot have a claim for having been mistreated and wronged by the Jets and every other org who decide to go in another direction?
    This would depend on why it was they didn't get that shot. Sure, if someone was the #2 and got skipped over, they have a legitimate beef.

Also, one other funny thing to consider - it seems the Jaguars are the only NFL organization who might agree with you. Maybe. And let's see what happens. I'll bet you a shiny nickel they barely agree with you and aren't willing to spend even a 7th round draft pick to ensure they get this misused diamond in the rough from the Jets. I bet you they'll just wait for him to be dropped and claim him off waivers since they'll make the reckless gamble that none of the other 31 franchises will offer even a 7th round pick.

Think about that. You and the Jaguars are the only ones who understand this guy's value. The Jets and 30 other NFL franchises think he's not even worth a 7th. Nice!
    We'll see. Last I checked, NFL history is replete with guys who bounced around but ended up being very good players for teams that finally gave them a real shot.

BTW, I believe Jacksonville is second in waiver wire priority for Tebow, meaning that he'd only need to be passed over by 1 other team for them to get him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, you might have a point if there were threads around here talking about how great an OC Sparano was, instead of threads talking about how badly he sucks AND threads talking about how he is going to be replaced after only 1 year on the job.

Something you won't find is a post from me saying that McElroy sucks, because I haven't seen enough of him to make that determination.

As for Tebow, i've seen what he can do in a "single wing" style offense, and I've also seen many others here at JI, people who aren't even Tebow fans, criticize the play calling and the way that he has been used.

I watched every one of his games last year. I'm sure that you watched him drive 95 yards against the Jets to pull out a victory. You want to tell us all how it was the defense that drove those 95 yards ??

Or how about the 200+ yards he put up against Chicago in less than 12 minutes of the 4th Q and overtime ? Guess that was the defense as well ?

Look, I have no problem saying that the defense played a large part in those games, keeping the score close enough so that Denver had a chance, perhaps even scoring themselves, BUT, in the end, it came down to Tebow doing what needed to be done to win those games.

This would depend on why it was they didn't get that shot. Sure, if someone was the #2 and got skipped over, they have a legitimate beef.

We'll see. Last I checked, NFL history is replete with guys who bounced around but ended up being very good players for teams that finally gave them a real shot.

BTW, I believe Jacksonville is second in waiver wire priority for Tebow, meaning that he'd only need to be passed over by 1 other team for them to get him.
    I think you are right about Jax being number 2 in waiver priority. So if the speculation is true they will gamble that 30 other teams think he is not even worth a 7th since the Jets would likely rather get something for him rather than nothing. Also, that 1 other team will pass on getting him for nothing