Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets history of owners says it all

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets history of owners says it all

Wismer (Titans); Werblin "Syndicate"; Leon Hess and Woody Johnson. Not suprising the organization has seen only one S.B. in 50+ seasons. All the many many seasons that came up short due to lack of talent and/or poor coaching can trace it's roots back to this simple foundation. We Jets fans can spend yet another off-season discussing the what ifs and the should do's till we're collectively blue in the face. Won't matter as the end result will remain the same. The bright spot is like a stopped clock is right twice a day, we're due for the freak SB appearance but without a quality owner it'll be the last for decades more.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Wismer (Titans); Werblin "Syndicate"; Leon Hess and Woody Johnson. Not suprising the organization has seen only one S.B. in 50+ seasons. All the many many seasons that came up short due to lack of talent and/or poor coaching can trace it's roots back to this simple foundation. We Jets fans can spend yet another off-season discussing the what ifs and the should do's till we're collectively blue in the face. Won't matter as the end result will remain the same. The bright spot is like a stopped clock is right twice a day, we're due for the freak SB appearance but without a quality owner it'll be the last for decades more.
    EXACTLY. Spot on. The owner sets the culture and we have never had someone who actually knew what they were doing. And your right it will continue because Johnson is clueless on how to run a professional organization. I will never forgive Leon Hess for putting the team in Giants Stadium. And I won't forgive this guy for perpetuating it. I watched the Seahawks game on Sunday and always hoped we'd have the same home field advantage where fans want to come to the game and influence the play. We will never have that in Giants Stadium II.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Um, huh?

Other than a wordy version of "Our Owner iz stupiz!", what exactly is the content of this whine?

What differentiates our owner(s) from other NFL Owner(s) that would have a material effect on the football field? Specificly, not empty fact-free generalizations?

I know, I know, we go 6-10, and the hate just flows everywhere like water after a torrential downpour, soaking everything in it's murky and foul stench.

Woody is like every other owner in NFL. Better than quite a few (the cheap owners). Less meddlesome than quite a few (the Snyder/Jones types), and more than willing to pay-up when requested by his GM.

What else do you really want/need from an NFL owner?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Are you serious? What do I want from my owner?
    1. Hire competent executives and coaches to give me the best team possible on the field.
    2. Give the fans the best possible game day experience when attending games.
    3. Stay the hell out of everything else.

Woody has failed miserably on all 3 counts.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Um, huh?

Other than a wordy version of "Our Owner iz stupiz!", what exactly is the content of this whine?

What differentiates our owner(s) from other NFL Owner(s) that would have a material effect on the football field? Specificly, not empty fact-free generalizations?

I know, I know, we go 6-10, and the hate just flows everywhere like water after a torrential downpour, soaking everything in it's murky and foul stench.

Woody is like every other owner in NFL. Better than quite a few (the cheap owners). Less meddlesome than quite a few (the Snyder/Jones types), and more than willing to pay-up when requested by his GM.

Given the behavior of this organization this year, your actually happy with this? And you think we can win with the way he runs the organization? It really is easy to see how bad our Org is. Hell just compare it to the other tenant in the building. Woody and John Mara are miles apart. Everything is about football for the Giants while football seems to be the last thing on this guy's mind.

Yes your right I am whining and definitely have an ax to grind. I've been watching and paying to see an inferior product for 42 years. Yeah it is my bad. But to say it has nothing to do with ownership is naive.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    J&J does well, very well.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    J&J does well, very well.
    He has nothing to do with running J&J. Never has and never wil. lThat is why it does well!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    waahhhhhhh my owner doesn't know what he's doing. wahhhhhhhhhh.

Woody Johnson isn't going anywhere and he knows far more than any of us know about running a professional football team. We're just the idiots on a message board who think we know more.

If you don't like it, stop rooting for the team. Simple.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Are you serious? What do I want from my owner?
    1. Hire competent executives and coaches to give me the best team possible on the field.
    2. Give the fans the best possible game day experience when attending games.
    3. Stay the hell out of everything else.

Woody has failed miserably on all 3 counts.

Exactly. I would add #4: run a professional operation. Under the Woody regime, we have been accused of manipulating season ticket prices, tampering with other players... we have tried to screw our own fans on the waiting list for tickets, we have lost out on players because we forgot to sign a contract (Chad Morton) or forgot to actually draw up the contract (Antoine Winfield), we have rewarded people who have failed miserably in the organization (Terry Bradway, Jay Cross), we have acted like someone desperate for constant attention (Favre, Tebow, Woody's tantrum when the Giants got the first home game at NMS), we got the lowest compensation ever for a head coach under contract when Herm bolted for KC, we lost arguably the greatest HC in a generation when Bellichick took one look at Woody and ran for the hills. We are in constant spin mode over everything (when have you ever heard Mike Tannenbaum give a straight answer about anything). It has been obvious since day 1 that this owner is in over his head. He was lucky to inherit a team on the upside (inheriting is what he does best), but has slowly driven it back into the ground.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    waahhhhhhh my owner doesn't know what he's doing. wahhhhhhhhhh.

Woody Johnson isn't going anywhere and he knows far more than any of us know about running a professional football team. We're just the idiots on a message board who think we know more.

And what makes him know more then us idiots? Because he has a lot of money?

Reminds me of the line from "If I Were a Rich Man." - When you're rich they think you really know!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, that is the answer to life's problems right there: if you don't like something, don't voice your opinion or try to change it. Just quit. Perfect.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    And what makes him know more then us idiots? Because he has a lot of money?

Reminds me of the line from "If I Were a Rich Man." - When you're rich they think you really know!
    Because he's been owner for 12 years. I'm sure you knew what you were doing after 12 years in your field.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yup, that is the answer to life's problems right there: if you don't like something, don't voice your opinion or try to change it. Just quit. Perfect.
    read my sentence right before that one. Woody Johnson isn't going anywhere.

Complaining about an owner on a website isn't going to change a thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he's been owner for 12 years. I'm sure you knew what you were doing after 12 years in your field.
    Actually we won our only division title when he was owner for just 3 years. Have not seen a home playoff game since.

If he has learned so much from his experience why are we on a downward spiral? Why does the future look so bleak?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually we won our only division title when he was owner for just 3 years. Have not seen a home playoff game since.

If he has learned so much from his experience why are we on a downward spiral? Why does the future look so bleak?
    The future looks bleak because you choose to see it as bleak. Everyone thinks we're headed towards a multi-year turnaround as if the year-to-year parity that is consistently part of the NFL does not apply to the Jets. Everyone but us. We're doomed.

If I cared enough I'd pull up the posts from the Hard Knocks era. How everyone said we had one of the best three-man operations out there, Woody Rex & Tannenbaum. Now? Naturally, they're the worst. This whole fan base is far too reactionary. The sky is falling. Fire everyone. Burn my jersey. Quit my PSL's. Sell the team. Start watching hockey. Pick your excuse.

And I don't really have to address this but I will. Playing in the same division as the greatest HC/QB combo of all time might have something to do with our lack of home playoff games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Neither is posting on a JI message board and jerking off but we all do it.

Sauer is 100 percent accurate and articulate and you sir sound like Ray Ray.

Woody does not behave like winning owners do.

look at the JETS long term planning post Favre and compare that to the Packers, Giants , Steelers. Woody is short term, non business like and he never was involved in J and J except to cash his dividend checks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The future looks bleak because you choose to see it as bleak. Everyone thinks we're headed towards a multi-year turnaround as if the year-to-year parity that is consistently part of the NFL does not apply to the Jets. Everyone but us. We're doomed.

If I cared enough I'd pull up the posts from the Hard Knocks era. How everyone said we had one of the best three-man operations out there, Woody Rex & Tannenbaum. Now? Naturally, they're the worst. This whole fan base is far too reactionary. The sky is falling. Fire everyone. Burn my jersey. Quit my PSL's. Sell the team. Start watching hockey. Pick your excuse.

And I don't really have to address this but I will. Playing in the same division as the greatest HC/QB combo of all time might have something to do with our lack of home playoff games.
    I agree with your post with the exception of giving credit to Belicheat. In my eyes, that fraud as accomplished nothing but being exposed for the cheater he is: on the field and in his personal life. As the saying goes, once a scum bag, always a scum bag. Fits Belicheat perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Neither is posting on a JI message board and jerking off but we all do it.

Sauer is 100 percent accurate and articulate and you sir sound like Ray Ray.

Woody does not behave like winning owners do.

look at the JETS long term planning post Favre and compare that to the Packers, Giants , Steelers. Woody is short term, non business like and he never was involved in J and J except to cash his dividend checks.
    To be fair, you mentioned teams with elite QBs. We hoped that was Sanchez. It didn'''t work out. how is tat Woddys fault? If you want to lay blame on Woody do so for not building a stadium in NYC -- Manhattan or Queens -- for the Jets. Thats his biggest failure imo as owner.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    I agree with your post with the exception of giving credit to Belicheat. In my eyes, that fraud as accomplished nothing but being exposed for the cheater he is: on the field and in his personal life. As the saying goes, once a scum bag, always a scum bag. Fits Belicheat perfectly.

To be fair, you mentioned teams with elite QBs. We hoped that was Sanchez. It didn'''t work out. how is tat Woddys fault? If you want to lay blame on Woody do so for not building a stadium in NYC -- Manhattan or Queens -- for the Jets. Thats his biggest failure imo as owner.
    Your point is well taken...it is.

The QBs that those teams have were college QBs with experience. They were provided with teams built around them and except for Ben.... Were not thrust into a starting role.

These teams would never have brought in Tebownor Favre so While your point is good, it is not all telling.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 12-27-2012 at 07:29 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't pick and choose owners. Unfortunately I wish I could un-choose Dumb Woody.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Complaining? No, simply stating what I know to be true. You don't reach my age without out learning a few things. Every successful organization starts at the top. There are no exceptions. Any organization that has existed as long as the Jets with as little success as the Jets has fundamental leadership problems. I'm still a fan after 46 years, but I know not to get my hopes up as it really is the SOJ's.