Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Great SONG WRITERS....

A contemporary one, but I'm loving the stuff by Tame Impala - the LP this year has recieved multiple plaudits from across the globe. Its a project of Kevin Parker who plays all the instruments in the studio, obviously writes all the songs. Not for everyones tastes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3j9flYBMQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0DdhOGAmfM

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Please see my first posting which includes Pete's inclusion.

I mentioned Chuck in another thread and was met with a "shaking cane" reference. Did not want to repeat the experience and foster more boredom. I think anyone who has read my posts over the years knows that I consider Berry the gold standard of rock songwriters and performers. Every rock riff is derivative of his early work.
    Don't know if you have read this...Thought you would get a kick out of it....

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/c...many_more_1980

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Teng Fei View Post
    Don't know if you have read this...Thought you would get a kick out of it....

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/c...many_more_1980
    Thanks very much for the thought. I remember that article. Or, at least, seeing it reprinted back in the 80s or 90s. Great stuff.

Chuck's the best. And his own biggest fan. LOL. I'm sure you've seen it, but if not, check out Taylor Hackford's Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll . Classic Chuck, especially the tension with keith Richards.

Ma Teng, please PM me so I know who you "were". I've been reading your work. You're too skilled to be a novice poster.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Gotta love the Chuckster...

No former ID for me....I've been a lurker for a long, long time.(I know you very well I started posting 3 years ago, relative to my pre-psl purchase. I have not been to a game yet! Gotta get back to NY, one of these days... I've picked up my posting of late. ( However, I gotta watch it. I get pissed off to easily, especially from the patsie trolls & the occasional, bigoted comments, referencing my moniker. I have three beautiful, half ethnic Chinese children, all born in Shanghai. I fear that they will confront the same type of a-holes, when we return to the States). I love these music posts. (My Amazon CD wish list never seems to get depleted - ship & add) Be good. I enjoy your posts.
    Last edited by Ma Teng Fei; 01-04-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Bob Gaudio........

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Teng Fei View Post
    Gotta love the Chuckster...

No former ID for me....I've been a lurker for a long, long time.(I know you very well I started posting 3 years ago, relative to my pre-psl purchase. I have not been to a game yet! Gotta get back to NY, one of these days... I've picked up my posting of late. ( However, I gotta watch it. I get pissed off to easily, especially from the patsie trolls & the occasional, bigoted comments, referencing my moniker. I have three beautiful, half ethnic Chinese children, all born in Shanghai. I fear that they will confront the same type of a-holes, when we return to the States). I love these music posts. (My Amazon CD wish list never seems to get depleted - ship & add) Be good. I enjoy your posts.
    For what must be the thousandth time this week, I messed up. I had you confused with a poster who called himself, "Tai-Mai-Shu". Obviously, that's someone who was here under another name.

My original post had a comment about "your" username being hilarious, when in actuality I had Tai-Mai-Shu's moniker in mind. Luckily, I picked up my error and deleted that part. If anything, I really appreciate Asian cultures.

Thanks again for the kind words. Don't be a stranger in The Hampur. The more insanity, as well as quality humor and musical posts, the better.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I really appreciate Asian cultures.
    I hear you. I've seen you over at "hotties".

[QUOTE=southside;4744959]
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post

True. I'm not THAT big a fan of The Pretender either. I will say though, mid to late 90s into the early 2000s he put out a couple really good albums. I'm Alive is really awesome minus some cheesy keyboard/synth sounds. The Naked Ride Home was a good album as well. I haven't kept up too much with anything he's released besides those two. It's hard to compare those works with the genius of his first 3 albums. Here's one from each of those respectively that are just brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz_sOnO9D24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuK0NLrELU
    Great choice!! always been one of my favorites. And I agree with "I'm Alive"...If you get the chance check out "Solo Acoustic Vol. 1 & Vol. 2...Thanks for posting, "The Naked Ride Home" I just gave it a quick sample and purchased it. Excellent work!

I also agree with those that have mentioned Warren Zevon and John Hiatt. Both great songwriters!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP

+1 I put Prince in the "genius" category. Guy can out-play and out-write 99% of all the professionals in the music business.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Great choice!! always been one of my favorites. And I agree with "I'm Alive"...If you get the chance check out "Solo Acoustic Vol. 1 & Vol. 2...Thanks for posting, "The Naked Ride Home" I just gave it a quick sample and purchased it. Excellent work!

I also agree with those that have mentioned Warren Zevon and John Hiatt. Both great songwriters!
    Glad I could give a music assist.

I will check those albums out.
    Last edited by southside; 01-05-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Jets Insider VIP

Robert Hunter

Francis Scott Key

Call me a fossil. I'm just glad I was around to hear this greatness when it was first released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6TQsU8d6k

One of my favorite guitarists/songwriters. A late, great genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTC7kPZZmuM

Jeff Lynne (ELO). Wrote classic songs for ELO, Dave Edmunds, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Traveling Wilbury's.

A few others that are more on the older, easy listening side of the dial: Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Neil Diamond and Carole King. I'm still amazed about who they've written for outside of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    Jeff Lynne (ELO). Wrote classic songs for ELO, Dave Edmunds, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Traveling Wilbury's.

A few others that are more on the older, easy listening side of the dial: Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, Neil Diamond and Carole King. I'm still amazed about who they've written for outside of themselves.
    One of the great masters of songwriting, as well as producing his projects and those of other artists. Great addition, morite.