Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our 2013 opening day Offensive Line

LT: Feguson
    LG: Warmack/Jones(Alabama) vs. Ducasse
    C: Mangold
    RG: Moore
    RT: Howard vs. Smith (Re-signed) vs. Jones(?)

This is my assumption if we're to pick either Warmack or Jones from Alabama. If we don't go OL in Round 1, then your guess is as good as mine.
    Last edited by 124; 12-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    1) You didn't see all the sacks then. On some of those it was like letting Ray Nitschke in, in "The Longest Yard".

2) Yes he's a rook, so why didn't our brain trust do something to help out McElroy?

You can't blame it all on the kid. Some, certainly, but not all.
    Sometimes I think the Oline was paying Mac back for ratting out the lockerroom in 2011.
    Hard to believe that guys were coming in so freely & with this team, might not be too far fetched.
    Freaking Joke this year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    I definitely think Howard needs to be upgraded. I'm not understanding why everyone thinks he was good, except that he came after Wayne Hunter, and no one could be worse than him. Good teams are built along their offensive lines, and we need a good RT.
    +1 for the most part. Howard has been better than Hunter and has improved somewhat in the second half of the season, but he is a far cry from being a "cheap, but very serviceable" type guy that teams need at certain positions in order to overpay at others. He's still a liability in pass pro and is not really the road grader in the running game either.

He's passable...at times. We could and should do better. Its not the death of the team if we don't, but I would rather keep Slauson and Ducasse at G and upgrade at RT. More important IMO.

At least two of next year's starters on OL are not on our roster yet.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Sometimes I think the Oline was paying Mac back for ratting out the lockerroom in 2011.
    Hard to believe that guys were coming in so freely & with this team, might not be too far fetched.
    Freaking Joke this year.
    You may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The sacks are on the rookie QB McElroy who took forever to decide on every pass. Also Texans knew he was a rookie and went after him non-stop.
    Your just flat out incorrect. The blame goes on the line. PERIOD

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Howard did a fine job at RT. Re-sign him to a reasonable contract.

The Jets obviously don't care about Slauson or they wouldn't have jerked him around with his pay and playing time. In fact I can't see Slauson even wanting to come back. Which is a loss since he was an OK lineman on a low $$ contract. A team needs guys like that. Not everybody can be a high dollar All Pro.
    What games have people been watching? Howard doing a fine job at RT was so 10 games ago. He started off well, and now has regressed to nearly the level of Hunter. Pull the stats off Profootball focus. I dont have access but I can assure you he is among the top 5 in sacks given up in the league for starting RT's.

Practice Squad
    Would love for the Jets to select OG Chance Warmack from Alabama with their 1st round pick. OL needs to be retooled and Warmack gives them a roadgrader at Guard.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Anybody think Howard can play RG? He has been better than Hunter but that isn't saying much. I think we need to make an investment at RT and I do not think Howard is a long term answer.

Slauson is a goner. Vlad will be forced into starting LG especially if Tanny/Rex survive. Vlad is the new Hunter in that regard. I hope we draft or sign someone to compete.

I would try to trade Mangold. 2 yrs down is a pattern. The difference between the great centers and the average ones is not that much. I think we can save some $$$ at this position.

Brick will remain.
    I think he can play LT.

Larry Warford and Travis Bond in rounds 2 and 4 respectively please. Let's get some beef up front for a change.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 12-28-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    What games have people been watching? Howard doing a fine job at RT was so 10 games ago. He started off well, and now has regressed to nearly the level of Hunter. Pull the stats off Profootball focus. I dont have access but I can assure you he is among the top 5 in sacks given up in the league for starting RT's.
    Howard is cheap and serviceable. He's here to stay.

Slauson is mediocre and overpaid. Moore is expensive and 2 years past the end of his prime. Sayonara to both.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Anybody think Howard can play RG? He has been better than Hunter but that isn't saying much. I think we need to make an investment at RT and I do not think Howard is a long term answer.

Slauson is a goner. Vlad will be forced into starting LG especially if Tanny/Rex survive. Vlad is the new Hunter in that regard. I hope we draft or sign someone to compete.

I would try to trade Mangold. 2 yrs down is a pattern. The difference between the great centers and the average ones is not that much. I think we can save some $$$ at this position.

Brick will remain.

Fantasy sports has ruined the younger generation of fans.

Obviously Caleb Schaderlauff will be starting seeing as we have heard the last 3 years that the Jets 'love him'.

In the 2012 draft Pittsburgh selected Decastro (OG) in the 1st round, Mike Adams (OT) in the 2nd and another OG in the 7th. They knew their line was really weak and attacked it head on. Decastro was hurt early and out for the season, which hurt them. Still they did the logical thing in the draft and the Jets should do the same. This line must protect far better than it does and that is the Jets priority in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    In the 2012 draft Pittsburgh selected Decastro (OG) in the 1st round, Mike Adams (OT) in the 2nd and another OG in the 7th. They knew their line was really weak and attacked it head on. Decastro was hurt early and out for the season, which hurt them. Still they did the logical thing in the draft and the Jets should do the same. This line must protect far better than it does and that is the Jets priority in the offseason.
    Pitts went a good 3 years without answering the OL. Our OL is no where near as bad as theirs was. They also where set at most positions and had a QB. G is easy to fill you don't waist a top 16 pick on one.

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    So we should have forced a pick of mike adams who had an ATROCIOUS season and getting beat up in the senior bowl over coples who has had a great rookie year?

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Okay, you did see the Tennessee game right.
    How about the butt fumble. How about our inability to convert on fourth and one. Our line stinks and the right side is the problem.
    Buttfumble, how the hell was that Moore fault. The handoff was supposed to go to the rb to hit the 4 or 6 gap, Moore job on that gap play is to turn Wilfork
    into the center, Sanchez/RB messes up the handoff and instead of Sanchez running into the called gap, he delays for a second and then he runs right into the 2 gap where Moore who has his back turned (of Course) engaging Wilfork, Wilfork sees the play develop (or not develop) and pushes Moore into the 2 gap.

That play has been shown 100 times on this site how anyone can remotely blame Moore who held the block even longer than needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Who gives a crap about a what a bunch of geeks watching a game and grading it say. That is like considering guys who publish draft blogs experts on the draft. These guys don't know what the line call was for any play, they make no allowance for the guy they are lined up against or make no allowance for a power game vs a gap responsible ZBS when a pressure is allowed. Please I can see how a team's oline can be measured as a whole but how can you measure from watching tv not knowing what no knowing what the call was, if this guy was to be chipped and let go and then go on to the 2nd level or when a guy was to stay in his gap. It is not baseball, where the greatest example of team work is turning a double play.

When coaches use all 22 film they know what the responsibilities were and what they were supposed to do. It is even worse when they do DE ratings and make now allownace for a read an react 2 gap scheme vs a 1 gap attacking scheme. Pro football focus one year did not have Brady or Manning as top ten qbs
    Last edited by patman; 12-28-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Fantasy sports has ruined the younger generation of fans.
    But you do have to consider is center a premium enough position to be paying
    8% of your cap for?

Trading him this year however is stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He was the best NT in FA last year. Because of his age didn't get a very good deal. We got him back cheap without having to really lock him in.
    and Pouha was awful this year, mostly because age and injuries caught up with him. Moore is quickly going down the same path and his play doesn't justify a starting role or high salary.

i'd only bring Moore back as veteran insurance on a minimum-level salary.