Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: Our 2013 opening day Offensive Line

  1. #1

    Our 2013 opening day Offensive Line

    The reality is that Moore is a goner. He's rapidly regressing and doesn't really do anything well any more. Also, his hip doesnt help either. Additionally folks better get used to slausen and ducasse as our starting guards. We don't have big money to spend on the position(especially if we bring back Landry) and its not of value to draft a guard in the first four rounds. Slausen will be cheap and continuity is important on the line.

    LT = brick
    RT = slausen
    C = mangold
    RG = ducasse (the only reason he got burn this year was to get him ready for next)
    RT = somebody drafted in first three rounds.

    I'm not saying I like it. It's just the reality.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    127
    Jets cut Slauson's salary this year and took away snaps to give to Ducasse. Jets don't want him and even if they did I can't see Slauson wanting to come back.

  3. #3
    I just can't justify spending an early-round pick on a RT in this day and age, especially given that we have a 1st Round Center and a 1st Round LT.

    A somewhat competent scout should be able to acquire an replacement level RT in later rounds, via Free Agency or from the UDFA pool.

  4. #4
    Slauson's done a nice job. And Howard certainly has. You have to cheap out at some positions and Howard is perfect.

    Moore is not rapidly regressing considering his performance this year...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Slauson's done a nice job. And Howard certainly has. You have to cheap out at some positions and Howard is perfect.

    Moore is not rapidly regressing considering his performance this year...
    You did see 11 sacks this past weekend, right? Moore was especially awful.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    You did see 11 sacks this past weekend, right? Moore was especially awful.
    The sacks are on the rookie QB McElroy who took forever to decide on every pass. Also Texans knew he was a rookie and went after him non-stop.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The sacks are on the rookie QB McElroy who took forever to decide on every pass. Also Texans knew he was a rookie and went after him non-stop.
    Okay, you did see the Tennessee game right.
    How about the butt fumble. How about our inability to convert on fourth and one. Our line stinks and the right side is the problem.

  8. #8
    Howard did a fine job at RT. Re-sign him to a reasonable contract.

    The Jets obviously don't care about Slauson or they wouldn't have jerked him around with his pay and playing time. In fact I can't see Slauson even wanting to come back. Which is a loss since he was an OK lineman on a low $$ contract. A team needs guys like that. Not everybody can be a high dollar All Pro.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,132
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The sacks are on the rookie QB McElroy who took forever to decide on every pass. Also Texans knew he was a rookie and went after him non-stop.
    wat

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,161
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The sacks are on the rookie QB McElroy who took forever to decide on every pass. Also Texans knew he was a rookie and went after him non-stop.
    Knowledgable as always gloomanddoom4ever

    Those San Diego Texans are one of yhe best

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Okay, you did see the Tennessee game right.
    How about the butt fumble. How about our inability to convert on fourth and one. Our line stinks and the right side is the problem.
    I disagree about the OL being a problem.

    But I do agree about Moore. With his age, injury history and high $$ contract, Moore should be replaced. He's overpaid for his performance at this stage in his career.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,823
    I definitely think Howard needs to be upgraded. I'm not understanding why everyone thinks he was good, except that he came after Wayne Hunter, and no one could be worse than him. Good teams are built along their offensive lines, and we need a good RT.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,829
    Anybody think Howard can play RG? He has been better than Hunter but that isn't saying much. I think we need to make an investment at RT and I do not think Howard is a long term answer.

    Slauson is a goner. Vlad will be forced into starting LG especially if Tanny/Rex survive. Vlad is the new Hunter in that regard. I hope we draft or sign someone to compete.

    I would try to trade Mangold. 2 yrs down is a pattern. The difference between the great centers and the average ones is not that much. I think we can save some $$$ at this position.

    Brick will remain.

  14. #14
    Slauson is gone. No way he comes back. Moore is a lot more likely to return. Moore is going to be like Pauho was last year. Really the 1st or 2nd best OL in FA but because he is older will not get a lot of offers. I just dont see a team wanting to give him more then 2 years at mid ranged money. He will not be hard to resign if the FO wants him.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Howard did a fine job at RT. Re-sign him to a reasonable contract.

    The Jets obviously don't care about Slauson or they wouldn't have jerked him around with his pay and playing time. In fact I can't see Slauson even wanting to come back. Which is a loss since he was an OK lineman on a low $$ contract. A team needs guys like that. Not everybody can be a high dollar All Pro.
    Truthfully id like to see jason smith play the entire game on sunday. He had his share of injuries and clearly didnt perform well for STL, but he has the athleticism you are looking for in todays NFL and there is no reason we shouldnt take 1 game to see how he holds up vs a decent bills Dline.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Slauson is gone. No way he comes back. Moore is a lot more likely to return. Moore is going to be like Pauho was last year. Really the 1st or 2nd best OL in FA but because he is older will not get a lot of offers. I just dont see a team wanting to give him more then 2 years at mid ranged money. He will not be hard to resign if the FO wants him.
    wat

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    wat
    He was the best NT in FA last year. Because of his age didn't get a very good deal. We got him back cheap without having to really lock him in.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He was the best NT in FA last year. Because of his age didn't get a very good deal. We got him back cheap without having to really lock him in.
    I was wat'ing at the complete butchering of his name.

  19. #19
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    I just can't justify spending an early-round pick on a RT in this day and age, especially given that we have a 1st Round Center and a 1st Round LT.

    A somewhat competent scout should be able to acquire an replacement level RT in later rounds, via Free Agency or from the UDFA pool.
    I think a big part of why the Jets were successful in 2009 and 2010 was that they invested in the offensive line and fullback. If Rex really wants to run the ball, and protect subpar quarterbacks he needs a better o-line.

  20. #20
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,405
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The sacks are on the rookie QB McElroy who took forever to decide on every pass. Also Texans knew he was a rookie and went after him non-stop.
    1) You didn't see all the sacks then. On some of those it was like letting Ray Nitschke in, in "The Longest Yard".

    2) Yes he's a rook, so why didn't our brain trust do something to help out McElroy?

    You can't blame it all on the kid. Some, certainly, but not all.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us