Thread: College games t watch?

College games t watch?

I admit I don't watch a lot of college ball.
    For those that do, any games over the next 4 days I should be watching that might have players that the Jets would be looking at in the draft?

Specifically, QBs & OLBs?

Hall Of Fame
    Duke v. Cincinnati tonight. Renfree the QB for Duke looks to be an interesting QB prospect that could be had latter in the draft.

Veteran
    In the future the UCLA QB Hundley could be a prospect. That Baylor/ucla game will be nuts! Terrence Williams (I believe is his name) Baylor WR could be a first rounder.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    In the future the UCLA QB Hundley could be a prospect. That Baylor/ucla game will be nuts! Terrence Williams (I believe is his name) Baylor WR could be a first rounder.
    Lache Seastrunk, Baylor RB is pretty good as well.

Practice Squad
    Saturdays New ERA Pinstripe Bowl 3:15

2 QB's of note in this game.
    Geno Smith for WV
    Nassib for Syracuse.
    Should be a good game to watch.

From the Great Blue North report ----long

MILITARY BOWL: San Jose State (10-2) versus Bowling Green (8-4); 3 PM ET; ESPN
    A pretty good game to start today's triple header with 10-2 San Jose State battling 8-win Bowling Green, although neither team is exactly loaded with potential prospects for the upcoming draft. San Jose State, though, does have a trio of solid later round candidates in TE Ryan Otten (#82, 6-5, 245), LT David Quessenberry (#76, 6-5, 295) and tweener DE Travis Johnson (#43, 6-2, 245), while RB De'Leon Eskridge (#2, 5-10, 215) should get some free agent consideration. On the other hand, BGSU isn't likely to have anyone drafted at all this spring, but has at least a couple of very productive veteran defenders in DT Chris Jones (#91, 6-1, 295) and MLB Dwayne Woods (#5, 5-10, 230), although both are somewhat undersized.

BELK BOWL: Cincinnati (9-3) versus Duke (6-6); 6:30 PM ET; ESPN
    On paper, the Belk (someone help us here - what exactly is a belk?) Bowl looks like a mismatch with Big East co-champion Cincinnati playing 6-6 Duke which earned its way into the bowl lineup by losing their final 4 games of the season. Ironically, though, its the Blue Devils which has the more interesting prospects in rangy QB Sean Renfree (#19, 6-5, 230), a three-year starter with over 9,000 career passing yards, and possession WR-deluxe Connor Vernon (#2, 6-0, 195) who enters the game with 273 career catches. Both are solid middle round prospects, while physical SS Walt Canty (#4, 6-0, 220) is a free agent possibility. Cincinnati also has a mid-round prospect in TE Travis Kelce (#18, 6-5, 255), while SS Drew Frey (#26, 6-2, 210), MLB Greg Blair (#51, 6-1, 255), RB George Winn (#32, 5-10, 205), CB Cam Cheatham (#21, 5-9, 195), OLB Maalik Bomar (#4, 6-1, 225) and DE Dan Giordano (#99, 6-3, 260) are later round or free agent possibilities.

HOLIDAY BOWL: Baylor (7-5) versus UCLA (9-4); 9:45 PM ET; ESPN
    While neither of today's first two games offer much in the way of top-flight talent for the upcoming draft, the nightcap is one of the better pre-New Year's bowls, at least in terms of prospects for 2013. Baylor WR Terrance Williams (#2, 6-2, 205), one of college football's most dangerous big-play receivers, for example, is a legitimate first-round prospect after hauling in 95 passes this season for almost 1,800 yards and 12 TDs. At the same time, wide-body junior G/T Cyril Richardson (#68, 6-4, 335) should get some serious second day interest if he enters the upcoming draft. Meanwhile QB Nick Florence (#11, 6-0, 210) lacks prototype measurables, but was very efficient this season as he threw for over 4,000 yards and 31 TDs after replacing NFL Rookie of the Year Robert Griffin. Florence, though, is still more of a late round prospect as are WR Lanear Sampson (#3, 5-10, 200), OG Cam Kaufhold (#71, 6-3, 300) and safety Mike Hicks (#17, 5-10, 195). Pro scouts will also be keeping an eye for future reference on BU sophomore RB Lache Seastrunk (#25, 5-10, 205), the one-time superstar recruit at Oregon who announced earlier in the week that he plans to make a run at next year's Heisman Trophy after averaging 7.6 yards per carry this season.

UCLA has an emerging prospect of its own in junior OLB Anthony Barr (#11, 6-5, 240), who was a back-up FB at this last year, but ended up leading the nation in sacks with 13.5 after switching to defense this fall. Meanwhile, RB Johnathan Franklin (#23, 5-10, 195), who had over 2,000 yards from scrimmage this season including 1,700 rushing yards, DEs Datone Jones (#56, 6-3, 275) and junior Cassius Marsh (#99, 6-4, 295), TE Joseph Fauria (#8, 6-6, 255) are second-day prospects, while CBs Sheldon Price (#22, 6-1, 180) and Aaron Hester (#21, 6-0, 205), OLB Damien Holmes (#43, 6-2, 250), OG Jeff Baca (#60, 6-3, 295) and K Jeff Locke (#18, 6-1, 210) are later round or free agent candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by ken shroy View Post
    Saturdays New ERA Pinstripe Bowl 3:15

2 QB's of note in this game.
    Geno Smith for WV
    Nassib for Syracuse.
    Should be a good game to watch.
    Yep. I don't think Smith will be a possibility where we are drafting though. Despite what Mel Kiper says, the QB position has such importance that even a guy without true top 5 talent will get taken in the top 5 of the draft, if not #1 overall. Look no further than 2 years ago, at this time scouts were saying Cam Newton would be a mid 1st round pick but sure enough, he went #1. Smith will likely go #1 to the Chiefs because they are just so desperate to grab a QB. If for whatever reason he dropped to us, I think he's a no-brainer pick, you cannot teach his height, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism and intangibles. His mechanics can be worked on with the right staff in place.

Nassib will there for us in the 1st round and maybe the 2nd round too. As a Rutgers fan, I've never been impressed by the guy. But maybe I'm wrong and the scouts who like him are right.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Yep. I don't think Smith will be a possibility where we are drafting though. Despite what Mel Kiper says, the QB position has such importance that even a guy without true top 5 talent will get taken in the top 5 of the draft, if not #1 overall. Look no further than 2 years ago, at this time scouts were saying Cam Newton would be a mid 1st round pick but sure enough, he went #1. Smith will likely go #1 to the Chiefs because they are just so desperate to grab a QB. If for whatever reason he dropped to us, I think he's a no-brainer pick, you cannot teach his height, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism and intangibles. His mechanics can be worked on with the right staff in place.

Nassib will there for us in the 1st round and maybe the 2nd round too. As a Rutgers fan, I've never been impressed by the guy. But maybe I'm wrong and the scouts who like him are right.
    The retards who were saying Cam would be anything less than top 5 just didn't know what they were looking at. Then all of the smart scouts started to form their opinion and the rest copied. Cam has elite takeoff, excellent arm strength, and adequate accuracy. Not to mention he was a winner everywhere. There was no way that Cam was going any later.

The guys who interest me are:

Nassib SYR - Good arm strength, not a ton of talent around him. Quick release, seems to keep his cool very well too, even with free runners. Accuracy seems sketchy sometimes. Will definitely be there for us.

Mike Glennon - NC state. Goofy looking fella, but has an excellent arm and seems to really put together some great stretches. He could end up going top 10 just for the reason listed above.

EJ Manuel FSU - People think he didn't improve enough but the guy did some very nice things. He has a good enough arm although his release needs to be a bit quicker. I like how calm he is constantly. Comfortable with a pass rush and can throw screens very well.

The rest of them suck... Geno will go number 1 but I really dont' think he turns into anything. Tyler Wilson just can't read a defense or make a decision although he does have a great competitive spirit. Landry Jones does some nice things but I don't think has the mental makeup that the greats do.

Nowadays I find myself being equally interested in the interviews to go along with the game tape just for the reason that the greats all seem to have similar personality traits. You can usually read the quickness of their mind in an interview. Tyler Bray has no chance based on this... Just completely the wrong type of personality.