Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum gone as GM Monday

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    To me, that's become an overrated overused apologist card for anyone who wants Tannenbaum retained.

It's 2013. There are plenty of capologists out there now doing just as good or better. You can't reinvent the wheel.
    I guess you're right. It would seem to me that if you really wanted a fresh start, as the owner should, you sweep out the old and retool with the new. Keeping Tanny around in a lesser capacity is a terrible idea. The issue then becomes how much do the fans put their faith in Woody to identify and attract top talent for the new FO? Who does he have or know that can help him in that process?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Gene Michael had legitimate and unique personnel evaluation skills.

Tannenbaum does not possess those. And his "capologist" skills can be easily duplicated.
    Exactly. Gene Michael's background was personnel. He was also a player.

Tanny is just a suit.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Being a Mets fan is tough
    Not a baseball fan, just see how it works. If bragging about World Championships that your team bought floats your boat, then go for it. Sensitive about it, maybe?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    +1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanny and Woody have worked together since he bought the team and hell, has been working for the NYJ longer than Woody's owned the team. They are close and I'll be shocked if Tanny's completely shown the door.

Woody's a nice guy. I'm sure he's thinking about Tanny's family and his relationship with them, etc., and how hard it will be to fire MT.

I wish he was my boss, but not the owner of the NYJ in this instance.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Not a baseball fan, just see how it works. If bragging about World Championships that your team bought floats your boat, then go for it. Sensitive about it, maybe?
    Yeah, sensitive about World Series when my team has 5 in the last 16 years. Life is tough for us Yankees fans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Tanny and Woody have worked together since he bought the team and hell, has been working for the NYJ longer than Woody's owned the team. They are close and I'll be shocked if Tanny's completely shown the door.

Woody's a nice guy. I'm sure he's thinking about Tanny's family and his relationship with them, etc., and how hard it will be to fire MT.

I wish he was my boss, but not the owner of the NYJ in this instance.
    You are probably right. Woody is too nice to fire Tanny. Rex is too nice to bench Sanchez.

Notice, Tanny was NOT too nice to fire his good friend, Mangini.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, sensitive about World Series when my team has 5 in the last 16 years. Life is tough for us Yankees fans.
    Yeah, whatever... back to the discussion at hand.

Tanny and his entire management team should go. The new GM should be given carte blanc to hire and fire anyone he sees fit to bring a winner here. That should include Rex and any of his staff.

IMHO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are probably right. Woody is too nice to fire Tanny. Rex is too nice to bench Sanchez.

What is your point? The Jets are about to fire Tanny. What do you care if they give Tanny some management job to help with the books. Obviously the new GM will be the one making all the player personel moves.

Its amazing that some of you are so blood thirsty. Its not like Tannenbaum isn't responsible for the likes of Wilkerson and Coples. I think some of his other moves hurt and so firing him makes sense. But its not like he crippled this franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This should be interesting.

And I'm sure Joe W. Namath(if he saw this thread yet) is dancing around with visions of Rex being given the boot but the reality is this :

The GM(whomever it is) might look at Rex and his Playoff success earlier and say to him "You've got THIS year(2013) to show me something".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, whatever... back to the discussion at hand.

Tanny and his entire management team should go. The new GM should be given carte blanc to hire and fire anyone he sees fit to bring a winner here. That should include Rex and any of his staff.

IMHO.
    Absolutely.

Any GM who is worth bringing in wants to put his own stamp on the team.

He will want to rise or fall on HIS terms. On HIS decisions. On HIS choices.

To force anyone on a new GM is doing it ass-backwards.

If the new GM wants Rex, that's fine. That's his prerogative. But if he doesn't, he shouldn't be forced to keep him or anyone else.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno,if I was a new GM coming in -who perhaps is one of the many people around the league who hold Rex and/or Tanny in very high regard for all we know-and I'm told that I can keep the current Staff but feel free to gut things if we don't make the playoffs at least next year then I'm thinking 'mulligan'...so basically I have a one year pass on the success of my regime..I can see some attraction in that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    fixed that for you. It is not too hard to be a GM of the Yankees. No cap, deep pockets. Lol. Just buy the best players and there you go.
    The 96, 98-2000 teams weren't bought. They weren't even #1 in payroll those years. That team was developed.

You can't bring in a new GM and keep T. The new GM will feel that T has a better, longer relationship with Woody, and may be worried that Tannenbaum is constantly whispering in Woody's ear.

If you bring in a new GM, let him pick his staff. Tell him to evaluate Rex for 1 more year while the cap is brought back under control, and then, if the new GM doesn't like Rex, bring in someone he does like. The HC job will be more attractive as a bunch of dead contracts will be coming off the books.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well this takes care of half the problem. Next on the chopping block is the head buffoon.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is your point? The Jets are about to fire Tanny. What do you care if they give Tanny some management job to help with the books. Obviously the new GM will be the one making all the player personel moves.

Its amazing that some of you are so blood thirsty. Its not like Tannenbaum isn't responsible for the likes of Wilkerson and Coples. I think some of his other moves hurt and so firing him makes sense. But its not like he crippled this franchise.
    I gave a good reason but you obviously chose to ignore it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    The 96, 98-2000 teams weren't bought. They weren't even #1 in payroll those years. That team was developed.

You can't bring in a new GM and keep T. The new GM will feel that T has a better, longer relationship with Woody, and may be worried that Tannenbaum is constantly whispering in Woody's ear.

If you bring in a new GM, let him pick his staff. Tell him to evaluate Rex for 1 more year while the cap is brought back under control, and then, if the new GM doesn't like Rex, bring in someone he does like. The HC job will be more attractive as a bunch of dead contracts will be coming off the books.
    Another valid point.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Finish HIM WOODY!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    fixed that for you. It is not too hard to be a GM of the Yankees. No cap, deep pockets. Lol. Just buy the best players and there you go.
    That's completely absurd. Michael was responsible for guys like Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Bernie, Jorge, guys who came through the system and were not bought.

And not only are you misinformed but if your theory had any credibility, the Dodgers would have loaded up their purchased players "and there you go" and how did that work out?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

BINGO. Not to mention, if I were the new GM I'd be worried that Tanny would be undermine me to Woody if things got tough so he could get his old job back.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you related to Tanny? Mrs. T, is the you?

As stated, no reputable GM is going to accept this josb withe Tanny still in hte building in any capacity. Not even janitor. This is fact.

If you want to keep Tanny, then you will have to settle for second or third tier GM candidates.

You may not like it, maybe you don't think that it is fair, but none the less, that is the way it is. Period. Exclamation point.