Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum gone as GM Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Thank you for speaking for all of us.

Some of us actually were satisfied with Cromartie and wished that Tannenbaum would have spent his time more wisely, like possibly re-signing Brad Smith (which may have made the subsequent Tebow deal moot), re-signing Braylon Edwards, looking for a solid RT, etc. Instead, he went after an expensive toy for Rex Ryan and neglected other players, areas and needs. Then he wound up giving Cromartie more money than he would have had to give him had he signed him sooner because Cro's agent knew he had Tannenbaum over a barrel.
    There were VERY few people who wanted Cromartie over Asomugha. And those few were just the typical "everything the Jets want is wrong" people.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Lol what a joke. Every single person on this board wanted Nnamdi and at the time there was an arguement over who the top CB in the game was: Revis or Nnamdi. 32 out of 32 NFL teams would have taken Nnamdi over Cro at the time.

Please don't act like you saw Cromartie going from above-average to top 3 CB in the game. But you can most certainly credit Rex and his staff for part of Cro's vast improvement.
    Cro should be credited for his improvement. He's admitted that he's taken his job more serious now by studying more. He realizes now that he can't play on his physical abilities alone.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Cro should be credited for his improvement. He's admitted that he's taken his job more serious now by studying more. He realizes now that he can't play on his physical abilities alone.
    I agree. The mind has caught up with the body.

I think being married and having some stability in his personal life has also helped.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. The mind has caught up with the body.

I think being married and having some stability in his personal life has also helped.
    I think realizing his NFL mortality & how many kids he's supporting straightened his azz up!
    This is why I would trade Revis before Cro.
    Cro knows that he has to play great to stay as a starting CB in this league & that is the ONLY way he keeps his high salary.

Revis on the other hand has plenty of money fame, ect.
    If he doesn't get what he wants, he'll do exactly what his uncle did & just sit out.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I never said he shouldn't be credited. My post clearly states that Rex and co. deserve part of the credit. Cro himself has definetly upped his game mentally but how many times over the past few years have we heard Ryan trying to get Cro to be more physical and use his physical abilities.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There were VERY few people who wanted Cromartie over Asomugha. And those few were just the typical "everything the Jets want is wrong" people.
    At first glance, was it intriguing? Of course it was. But within a few days, after we all saw how much money was involved, watched Brad Smith sign with Buffalo, Cotch sign with Pittsburgh, Edwards sign with SF (eventually), watch every viable free agent sign with other teams, many of us realized how idiotic the pursuit was at the expense of the team.

That 2 weeks magnifies how bad a GM Tannenbaum really is and why he needs to go, as in out the door. Sayonara.

whatever, about tannenbaum. it's pretty clear the jets need a real football guy to manage the team. tannenbaum could stay on in contracts but he probably would want a change in scenery too. as for rex, someone outside the team needs to evaluate rex's performance as head coach. sure he got the team into the playoffs twice but it's always what have you done lately. and part of the argument has to focus on who actually had the say in player decisions. if they were all on tannenbaum then rex needs the same pass given to sanchez all these seasons about having a revolving door at skill positions and not finding a decent right tackle.

Thank you for speaking for all of us.

Some of us actually were satisfied with Cromartie and wished that Tannenbaum would have spent his time more wisely, like possibly re-signing Brad Smith (which may have made the subsequent Tebow deal moot), re-signing Braylon Edwards, looking for a solid RT, etc. Instead, he went after an expensive toy for Rex Ryan and neglected other players, areas and needs. Then he wound up giving Cromartie more money than he would have had to give him had he signed him sooner because Cro's agent knew he had Tannenbaum over a barrel.
    We can't fill every hole. It was clearly documented at the time that: We could only keep 1 of Braylon or Holmes. They went with Holmes. Also, it was clear Brad Smith would be a casualty. As far as RT, I don't remember there being any top FA available and also at that time Hunter was coming off a pretty good playoff performance so they weren't really looking for a RT...
    Last edited by bgivs21; 12-28-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    +1 many of those same critics also were certain that Landry was a terrible signing (of course)

At first glance, was it intriguing? Of course it was. But within a few days, after we all saw how much money was involved, watched Brad Smith sign with Buffalo, Cotch sign with Pittsburgh, Edwards sign with SF (eventually), watch every viable free agent sign with other teams, many of us realized how idiotic the pursuit was at the expense of the team.

That 2 weeks magnifies how bad a GM Tannenbaum really is and why he needs to go, as in out the door. Sayonara.
    I believe your time table is off....

@AlbertBreer: On Jets' future ... Told repeatedly Tannenbaum hasn't been informed of his status for '13 either way. @MMehtaNYDN reports Rex hasn't either.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    +1 many of those same critics also were certain that Landry was a terrible signing (of course)
    I admit that I was critical of the Landry signing as I was very skeptical of his health.

He certainly proved me and a lot of people wrong.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    I believe your time table is off....
    Did not Smith and Cotchery sign while Tannenbaum was courting Aso?

I know Smith did.

Regardless, Tannenbaum was so wrapped up in that negotiation, he ignored practically everything else. To say there were no FA's ignores the fact that trades can be made. I'm not a GM. He is. He's the guy who looks at every roster in the NFL and gets on the phone and calls the other GM's to make deals. It's not just about who was or who wasn't available in FA to help improve this team.

Offense was completely ignored and still is to this day. Why? Because we have a DC as HC and that's what he cares most about.

I know Smith did.

Regardless, Tannenbaum was so wrapped up in that negotiation, he ignored practically everything else. To say there were no FA's ignores the fact that trades can be made. I'm not a GM. He is. He's the guy who looks at every roster in the NFL and gets on the phone and calls the other GM's to make deals. It's not just about who was or who wasn't available in FA to help improve this team.

Offense was completely ignored and still is to this day. Why? Because we have a DC as HC and that's what he cares most about.
    1. You're completely correct about Smith not waiting, I was wrong. BUT, there is a cavet, he left because Buffalo offered him a lot more than the jets would have.

2.) To say that Tanny completely ignored offense is not true. I had a feeling that Smith was toast when the Jets got Kerley who was suspossed to replace Smith in some of his duties, plus he can catch better. He also drafted Powell that year, and Im sure no one is going to complain about picking Mo Wilk with our 1st rounder.

3.) I'll say it again. Rex, Tanny, and Shotty saw Hunter come off of good playoff performances and they penciled him in as they're RT. Now whether it's their fault or not, Rex and Co didn't see Hunters extreme regression coming. They thought they were set at RT.

4.) As far as J Co, he wanted out in Feb. because he was unhappy playing as the #3 reciever. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...ticle-1.943949

There was only so much money to go around that year.

Before people start bashing me for defending Tanny's moves, please realize I don't agree with all of them. I think we have all realized the long term effects of trading away picks and big FA signings. It leaves no depth and little cap room. There should be a happy medium.
    Last edited by bgivs21; 12-28-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Practice Squad

I know Smith did.

Cotch signed after we released him...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Just a question:

If tanny and bradway suck, and are responsible for vlad, gholston, dwayne robertson and kyle wilson (who btw would start on over half the teams in the league), then who is responsible for drafting:

revis possible HOF
    mangold multiple pro-bowls
    wilkerson (2nd rated 3-4 DE in the league this year),
    coples (having a great rookie year),
    kerley (a great 5th round pick),
    keller (avg approx 50 catches per year),
    greene (who i dont like, but has 2 1000 yard seasons)
    mcknight (pro bowl kick returner as a 4th round pick)
    slauson (2 year starter from the 7th round)

We havent had a lot of picks, and the depth has hurt us, but to say we havent had "good drafts" is such a jet fan overexaggeration.
    The jets had just as many picks as any other team.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Hopefully he's not the only one.
    Sparano should be gone by Sunday nite 6pm...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexi Rexi View Post
    Cotch signed after we released him...
    And that happened while the Jets were still courting Aso, which is what I said.

Cotch left because he totally despised S.Holmes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    Cotch left because he totally despised S.Holmes.
    Actually, he left because the Jets released him. He was still under contract.