Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum gone as GM Monday

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You know what I am thinking right?
    Yes, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    yet another SOJF powered thread that brings the LOLz

the NFL is not like you being banished from White Castle after failing to toast the belly bomber buns properly so you cant make a scene at the drive thru window the next day

Coaches are recycled all the time

GMs much less so but there are the examples of Heckert and a special case in Bruce Allen

Rich McKay former GM of TB and ATL remains with ATL in other capacities (CEO, President) - doesnt seem to be hurting them at all

etc.
    This. It happens all the time in baseball and football. It's funny to watch sojf act all in a tizzy by this possible move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    This. It happens all the time in baseball and football. It's funny to watch sojf act all in a tizzy by this possible move.
    All the time in football. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Exactly.

Hopefully revischrist will read this post since he can't read mine.
    I read it and I find it comical that some of you don't understand how things work in team sports. Fired GMs get reassigned all the time. No GM will be intimidated by the presence of mr t. And if he is, then he wasn't the right hire in the first place.

A few YEARS too late if you ask me. The nightmare ends in 4 days!!!

I read it and I find it comical that some of you don't understand how things work in team sports. Fired GMs get reassigned all the time. No GM will be intimidated by the presence of mr t. And if he is, then he wasn't the right hire in the first place.
    not in organizations that are successful.

Name the successful NFL organization that demoted their GM to a position within the same department. And by successful I mean has won a super bowl (because that is the only measure of success that matters).

yet another SOJF powered thread that brings the LOLz

the NFL is not like you being banished from White Castle after failing to toast the belly bomber buns properly so you cant make a scene at the drive thru window the next day

Coaches are recycled all the time

GMs much less so but there are the examples of Heckert and a special case in Bruce Allen

Rich McKay former GM of TB and ATL remains with ATL in other capacities (CEO, President) - doesnt seem to be hurting them at all

etc.
    Yes, because the Atlanta Falcons are the model NFL franchise for how to win championships.

And by the way, going from GM to C.E.O/president is a promotion not a demotion
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 12-27-2012 at 08:04 PM.

I dont care how the Jets do it but put together a management team that will produce a winner on the field! I dont care who. Nick Saban can be the GM for all I care but it better work! Mr. T can be kept as a bookkeeper - I dont care. Rex can move up to GM - I dont care. I just want to see a winner on the field so whatever is gonna work Woody needs to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    I dunno,if I was a new GM coming in -who perhaps is one of the many people around the league who hold Rex and/or Tanny in very high regard for all we know-and I'm told that I can keep the current Staff but feel free to gut things if we don't make the playoffs at least next year then I'm thinking 'mulligan'...so basically I have a one year pass on the success of my regime..I can see some attraction in that.
    This is NEW YORK,you do not get mulligans. If you are making a change 2013 is the yr, We are in a very tough cap situation and have many positions to fill. Bring in a new staff allow them to fill those holes with their players,allow them to move contracts of players that do not work in their system (maybe Harris,Mangold,Ferguson,Revis,or Cro) and get some draft picks. We have too many large contracts on the books,especially with the new rookie scale.
    Why would you want to put together a team geared toward Rex ,when we probably are just changing the direction of the team in 2014?

Can someone please paste the link? I tried several times but the link must be corrupted as I cannot open it on my computer. Thanks in advance.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Same Ol Jets as in:

When we were looking for a new HC, the candidates were told that we were keeping Schotty. Competent HC's said "No, Thanks". We wound up with Rex.
    Lol, you don't know this, at the time the Jets interviewed many "competent" candidates such as Schottenheimer, Callahan,
    Russ Grimm, Ron Meeks and Jeff Jagodzinski.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843812

Btw, when was an nfl head coach demoted to a DC or OC and stayed on the staff after a head coaching change? Yeah, I didn't think so..
    Rick Venturi was LB coach turned interim HC in NO then retained by new HC Ditka as LB coach;

Gunther Cummingham was fired as KC HC for Dick Vermeil then returned as DC under Vermeil a few years later;

And when was a GM DEMOTED, not promoted to CEO or President, onto the staff of a new GM? Maybe there was but I can't think of any. If there was, it was idiotic.
    Holmgren in SEA to concentrate on HC role idiotically making it to many playoff berths and the SB

Welcome to SOJF World - where fantasy trumps reality and the polar extremes of "never" and "always" hold sway

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    The 96, 98-2000 teams weren't bought. They weren't even #1 in payroll those years. That team was developed.
    Only in 1998 were they not #1, and they were #2 by about $1MM
    to say they didn't buy ring is beyond laughable.
    Boggs
    Key
    McDowell
    Wettland
    Rogers
    Irabu
    Cone
    Clemens
    Fielder
    Martinez

Some of those guys had more success than others, but they were all bought either via Free agency or payroll dump trade.

Lol, you don't know this, at the time the Jets interviewed many "competent" candidates such as Schottenheimer, Callahan,

Rick Venturi was LB coach turned interim HC in NO then retained by new HC Ditka as LB coach;

Gunther Cummingham was fired as KC HC for Dick Vermeil then returned as DC under Vermeil a few years later;

Holmgren in SEA to concentrate on HC role idiotically making it to many playoff berths and the SB

Welcome to SOJF World - where fantasy trumps reality and the polar extremes of "never" and "always" hold sway
    Where is Tannenbaum hiding his Super Bowl ring? I am sure Woody Johnson would get the benefit of the doubt on not firing someone if they actually won something sometime.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 12-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Hahaha.. that is your list of first tier HC candidates? I rest my case.

Interim HC. In other words, he was the LB coach, but was forced into running the team when there was no one else to do it. It was never his job to keep. Nice try, though.

Fired and rehired, years later. Not demoted and retained on the same staff.

Per wikipedia, "Originally, Holmgren was the Executive Vice President/General Manager and Head Coach of the Seahawks. Following the 2002 season, Holmgren was terminated as Seahawks General Manager."

So he was still EVP and HC after the 2002 Season. Hiring a GM was his idea. Did you expect him to fire himself?

Please buy a clue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Please feel free to name all of these football GM's who have been fired and reassigned within the organization. There's dozens right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    not in organizations that are successful.

Name the successful NFL organization that demoted their GM to a position within the same department. And by successful I mean has won a super bowl (because that is the only measure of success that matters).
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Yes, because the Atlanta Falcons are the model NFL franchise for how to win championships.

And by the way, going from GM to C.E.O/president is a promotion not a demotion
    This guy gets it.

Comical is the idea of keeping Tanny at all costs as if he's been a model of success as a GM and administrator.

Please feel free to name all of these football GM's who have been fired and reassigned within the organization. There's dozens right?
    Well, Mike Holmgren, of course.

Except he wasn't reassigned, he already had the HC and EVP postion.

Oh, and it was his idea, because he was busy enough with the HC duties.

Oh, and he helped hire the new GM.

But other than that, it is exactly the same. Kind of. Maybe.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Jets Insider VIP

LOL. Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet
    Rick Venturi was LB coach turned interim HC in NO then retained by new HC Ditka as LB coach

Great examples. He said demoted after being replaced. Not years later. And an interim coach is just that. Interim. It's understood he'll be reassigned.

Your game is so weak.

All Pro
    LOL. Who?

Great examples. He said demoted after being replaced. Not years later. And an interim coach is just that. Interim. It's understood he'll be reassigned.

Your game is so weak.
    And yours and the other SOJF pukes is nonexistent.

Crennel Frazier and Garrett were all retained as HC as were so many others over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This is what I expected, and by what I expected I mean for the Jets to completely half-ass this off-season. They're going to can or re-assign Tannenbaum and keep Ryan. Wonderful. What self respecting General Manager is going to want to come in here without any power over who the Head Coach and his coaching staff is? Unless Ryan is fired, this is a stupid, stupid move unless Bill Polian for whatever reason wants to work with Rex Ryan. Forget Eric DeCosta; he's next in line in Baltimore and part of the crew that told Ryan "Thanks, but no thanks".
    You mean like Holmgren did when he was hired and Mangini was the coach and was retained?