Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannenbaum gone as GM Monday

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I expected, and by what I expected I mean for the Jets to completely half-ass this off-season. They're going to can or re-assign Tannenbaum and keep Ryan. Wonderful. What self respecting General Manager is going to want to come in here without any power over who the Head Coach and his coaching staff is? Unless Ryan is fired, this is a stupid, stupid move unless Bill Polian for whatever reason wants to work with Rex Ryan. Forget Eric DeCosta; he's next in line in Baltimore and part of the crew that told Ryan "Thanks, but no thanks".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    This is what I expected, and by what I expected I mean for the Jets to completely half-ass this off-season. They're going to can or re-assign Tannenbaum and keep Ryan. Wonderful. What self respecting General Manager is going to want to come in here without any power over who the Head Coach and his coaching staff is? Unless Ryan is fired, this is a stupid, stupid move unless Bill Polian for whatever reason wants to work with Rex Ryan. Forget Eric DeCosta; he's next in line in Baltimore and part of the crew that told Ryan "Thanks, but no thanks".
    Agree!
    They keep Rex it's like a slow death march to a complete overhaul AGAIN in 2014.
    That is so ny jets its laughable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Agree!
    They keep Rex it's like a slow death march to a complete overhaul AGAIN in 2014.
    That is so ny jets its laughable.
    Yep.

You either fire both or keep both. Do not half-ass this. However, that's likely what we're about to see.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping that when a new GM is brought in, it's a personnel guy and he's given full autonomy. He should be able to piece together his own staff and he should be allowed to fire Rex if he wants to. The biggest problem the Jets have had the last few years is communication. There needs to be a unified game plan.

Hopefully that's what happens. Personally, I'd like to see an offensive head coach who can come in and bring the team into the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do I have this suspicion that old man Shottenheimer will someone become a major player in this circus? That would be a disaster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    If they fire Tanny, then fire him. No reassignments.

And if Tanny goes, Bradway MUST go with him.
    They might keep Bradway as a scout. He is an experienced set of eyes. He was all over Russell Wilson. I know he has had plenty of failures which is why
    I am not suggesting he get any kind of finally say.

Ultimately I hope the new GM will get to decide his entire staff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    what if woody looks to the his buddies the maras and tischs for help?
    who in the giants organization could be a possibility?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we were looking for a new HC, the candidates were told that we were keeping Schotty. Competent HC's said "No, Thanks". We wound up with Rex.

Now we are looking for a GM. The candidates are being told that we are keeping Rex. Competent GM's will say :No, Thanks". We will wind up with a first time nobody.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why? If tanny is a good capologist and could assist the next GM why not keep him?

Some of you just want blood and come off like children.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Why? If tanny is a good capologist and could assist the next GM why not keep him?

Love your sif gif. Lol, what a girly man.

Have you every worked in Management? Demotions do not work when changing management teams. They undermine the new management team. Competent managers will not allow it. And any self respecting manager would not accept a demotion.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    too bad there is not a clause in Sanchez contract that says "if Mike T is fired after this season your assinine contract is voided" Ofcourse if MT didnt give Marky the extention the Sanchisers diehardeder would have said hev only played so bad this year because he was worrying about his future with team after season..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to speak for anyone else but I see it as a normal and prudent course of business.

You don't keep a guy around in a lesser capacity who has just come off a 7 year power trip and expect everything to go smoothly. Having him in the building, IMO, would be a distraction.

I don't think a new GM would want to operate under those circumstances nor do I think he should. And I assure you that there are viable candidates who will not take the job or may not even interview if they know that Tannenbaum will still be there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Given some of the awful contracts he's handed out, particularly Holmes and Sanchez, and the lousy cap position he's created for 2013, can you really say he's a ''good capologist"?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    They might keep Bradway as a scout. He is an experienced set of eyes. He was all over Russell Wilson. I know he has had plenty of failures which is why
    I am not suggesting he get any kind of finally say.

Ultimately I hope the new GM will get to decide his entire staff.
    So the complaint about the current management team is that they cannot evaluate talent, and yet you want to keep the chief talent evaluator? Hmmm...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the worst o-line in the nfl and your wish list contains no linemen. Do you wish that we'd keep losing?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Given some of the awful contracts he's handed out, particularly Holmes and Sanchez, and the lousy cap position he's created for 2013, can you really say he's a ''good capologist"?
    To me, that's become an overrated overused apologist card for anyone who wants Tannenbaum retained.

It's 2013. There are plenty of capologists out there now doing just as good or better. You can't reinvent the wheel.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Love your sif gif. Lol, what a girly man.

Have you every worked in Management? Demotions do not work when changing management teams. They undermine the new management team. Competent managers will not allow it. And any self respecting manager would not accept a demotion.
    This isn't working at a regular job. Plenty of GMs get fired and get reassigned. The Yankees fired Gene Michael and then became president of scouting in 1996. That backfired so badly for the Yankees that they have only won 5 world series since.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't working at a regular job. Plenty of GMs get fired and get reassigned. The Yankees fired Gene Michael and then became president of scouting in 1996. That backfired so badly for the Yankees that they have only bought 5 world series since.
    fixed that for you. It is not too hard to be a GM of the Yankees. No cap, deep pockets. Lol. Just buy the best players and there you go.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't working at a regular job. Plenty of GMs get fired and get reassigned. The Yankees fired Gene Michael and then became president of scouting in 1996. That backfired so badly for the Yankees that they have only won 5 world series since.
    Gene Michael had legitimate and unique personnel evaluation skills.

Tannenbaum does not possess those. And his "capologist" skills can be easily duplicated.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    fixed that for you. It is not too hard to be a GM of the Yankees. No cap, deep pockets. Lol. Just buy the best players and there you go.
    Being a Mets fan is tough