Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: McElroy Hid Concussion

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

McElroy Hid Concussion

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...mmates-coaches

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets' coaching staff may not have known Greg McElroy had been experiencing the symptoms of a concussion this week, but his teammates did.

According to several players McElroy confided in, the quarterback had been wrestling for days with the decision to tell the Jets of his symptoms.

On Christmas night, McElroy came to visit wide receiver Clyde Gates in the hotel where they stay during the season. Gates had been diagnosed with a concussion earlier in the season, and listened to McElroy's concerns.

"He came to my room and we talked about it," Gates told ESPNNewYork.com. "He was hurting real bad. I was like, 'Bro, I know, I've been down that road already. I'm just saying you can't try to tough it out cause you going to end up hurting yourself, you've got to let everybody know how you really feel.'"

Left guard Matt Slauson was also aware of McElroy's condition.

"He definitely has that (warrior) mentality, but it got to the point where it was scaring him," Slauson said.

Slauson revealed to ESPNNewYork.com that he, like McElroy, had a concussion in either 2010 or 2011 that he didn't report to the Jets, and another in his senior season at Nebraska. Of the more recent one, Slauson said he got through it on his own.

"I didn't feel like it warranted (being reported)," Slauson said. "I was in bad shape, but I could focus on my plays. I figured I'd pop a couple of aspirin and be fine."

After experiencing headaches during his morning lift at the Jets facility, McElroy finally approached Jets trainers with his symptoms. Coach Rex Ryan immediately decided McElroy will not start when the Jets travel to Buffalo for the final game of the season. In McElroy's place, Ryan again passed over Tim Tebow and went back to starter Mark Sanchez, who was benched after throwing four interceptions in Tennessee on Dec. 17.

Tebow, whose frustration spilled out in a conversation with Ryan last week after McElroy was tapped to replace Sanchez, said Thursday he understood the decision and would do anything he could to help the team. Notably, wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, who replaced Tebow last week in the Wildcat, has also been practicing in that spot this week.

Tebow said he could tell something wasn't right with McElroy even before the presumed starter was missing from the morning quarterback meeting.

"He didn't look exactly right at the beginning of the day," Tebow said. "So it wasn't long when he heard he went to the trainers and we heard what happened."

Ryan said McElroy should have been honest with the trainers about his condition, but seemed to understand that McElroy didn't want to give up a starting opportunity in a league where they don't come easily. Gates said that was probably a consideration for McElroy.

"It probably was a little pressure," Gates said. "I don't blame him, the position he was in, to start another game, any competitive player would've been like, 'I'm going to shake it off and make it work.' But still you got to be smart about it. I feel him though, I understand how he feels, but you can't go against a concussion injury."

Ryan said "players need to be honest" given all the medical information about concussions available. Research shows that sustaining additional concussions before the brain heals is more damaging to a player. Ryan said he hoped that this would remind players to be truthful with trainers.

"I think hopefully this will be an example to all the players," Ryan said. "Because the worst thing that could've happened is he would've gone out there with nobody knowing how he really felt and hurt himself."

One of the reasons a player might not report is not being sure that what they are feeling is due to a brain injury. Safety Eric Smith sustained more than one concussion in 2008, including during a helmet-to-helmet hit with then-Cardinal Anquan Boldin.

"It affects everybody differently," Smith said. "One time it might be memory and motor skills. You never really know with a concussion. That's the problem with them, you don't really know how to diagnose them. You may feel a little funny but just think it's from the game."

Earlier this season, San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith self-reported a concussion and ultimately lost his starting job to replacement Colin Kaepernick. Tebow said that kind of information affects some players' minds when they are deciding what to report.

"I think some (are affected)," Tebow said. "You fight hard to earn something and you don't want to jeopardize that with an injury for sure. I think that's definitely something guys will think about."

Tebow said the idea of self-reporting concussions can be difficult for a player. He admitted that even he might not have always done it perfectly at times.

"I'm sure there's a few times in my career where I haven't made the smartest decision," Tebow said.

He explained why.

"I think it's hard, just being honest, I think it's hard for a competitor even if you're feeling something to always report it," Tebow said. "I think that's probably the smart thing to do and it's what you want everybody to do, but that's not how you're trained as a competitor. You're trained to fight through it and be competitive and not let it phase you -- and that's not the smartest thing."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...mmates-coaches

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets' coaching staff may not have known Greg McElroy had been experiencing the symptoms of a concussion this week, but his teammates did.

According to several players McElroy confided in, the quarterback had been wrestling for days with the decision to tell the Jets of his symptoms.

On Christmas night, McElroy came to visit wide receiver Clyde Gates in the hotel where they stay during the season. Gates had been diagnosed with a concussion earlier in the season, and listened to McElroy's concerns.

"He came to my room and we talked about it," Gates told ESPNNewYork.com. "He was hurting real bad. I was like, 'Bro, I know, I've been down that road already. I'm just saying you can't try to tough it out cause you going to end up hurting yourself, you've got to let everybody know how you really feel.'"

Left guard Matt Slauson was also aware of McElroy's condition.

"He definitely has that (warrior) mentality, but it got to the point where it was scaring him," Slauson said.

Slauson revealed to ESPNNewYork.com that he, like McElroy, had a concussion in either 2010 or 2011 that he didn't report to the Jets, and another in his senior season at Nebraska. Of the more recent one, Slauson said he got through it on his own.

"I didn't feel like it warranted (being reported)," Slauson said. "I was in bad shape, but I could focus on my plays. I figured I'd pop a couple of aspirin and be fine."

After experiencing headaches during his morning lift at the Jets facility, McElroy finally approached Jets trainers with his symptoms. Coach Rex Ryan immediately decided McElroy will not start when the Jets travel to Buffalo for the final game of the season. In McElroy's place, Ryan again passed over Tim Tebow and went back to starter Mark Sanchez, who was benched after throwing four interceptions in Tennessee on Dec. 17.

Tebow, whose frustration spilled out in a conversation with Ryan last week after McElroy was tapped to replace Sanchez, said Thursday he understood the decision and would do anything he could to help the team. Notably, wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, who replaced Tebow last week in the Wildcat, has also been practicing in that spot this week.

Tebow said he could tell something wasn't right with McElroy even before the presumed starter was missing from the morning quarterback meeting.

"He didn't look exactly right at the beginning of the day," Tebow said. "So it wasn't long when he heard he went to the trainers and we heard what happened."

Ryan said McElroy should have been honest with the trainers about his condition, but seemed to understand that McElroy didn't want to give up a starting opportunity in a league where they don't come easily. Gates said that was probably a consideration for McElroy.

"It probably was a little pressure," Gates said. "I don't blame him, the position he was in, to start another game, any competitive player would've been like, 'I'm going to shake it off and make it work.' But still you got to be smart about it. I feel him though, I understand how he feels, but you can't go against a concussion injury."

Ryan said "players need to be honest" given all the medical information about concussions available. Research shows that sustaining additional concussions before the brain heals is more damaging to a player. Ryan said he hoped that this would remind players to be truthful with trainers.

"I think hopefully this will be an example to all the players," Ryan said. "Because the worst thing that could've happened is he would've gone out there with nobody knowing how he really felt and hurt himself."

One of the reasons a player might not report is not being sure that what they are feeling is due to a brain injury. Safety Eric Smith sustained more than one concussion in 2008, including during a helmet-to-helmet hit with then-Cardinal Anquan Boldin.

"It affects everybody differently," Smith said. "One time it might be memory and motor skills. You never really know with a concussion. That's the problem with them, you don't really know how to diagnose them. You may feel a little funny but just think it's from the game."

Earlier this season, San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith self-reported a concussion and ultimately lost his starting job to replacement Colin Kaepernick. Tebow said that kind of information affects some players' minds when they are deciding what to report.

"I think some (are affected)," Tebow said. "You fight hard to earn something and you don't want to jeopardize that with an injury for sure. I think that's definitely something guys will think about."

Tebow said the idea of self-reporting concussions can be difficult for a player. He admitted that even he might not have always done it perfectly at times.

"I'm sure there's a few times in my career where I haven't made the smartest decision," Tebow said.

He explained why.

"I think it's hard, just being honest, I think it's hard for a competitor even if you're feeling something to always report it," Tebow said. "I think that's probably the smart thing to do and it's what you want everybody to do, but that's not how you're trained as a competitor. You're trained to fight through it and be competitive and not let it phase you -- and that's not the smartest thing."
    So that whole conspiracy thing? OUT THE WINDOW

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    After 11 sacks I'm impressed he found his car in the parking lot after the game.

Notice I didn't quote the whole damn original article just to make a comment about it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I didn't feel like it warranted (being reported)," Slauson said. "I was in bad shape, but I could focus on my plays. I figured I'd pop a couple of aspirin and be fine." No wonder Slauson sucks. He was in bad shape but was OK. lol Dear lord the JETS need to start giving IQ tests before signing contracts. That is like when a boxer tells you he is OK because he always hears ringing in his head. Dude that isn't normal you need to see a DR.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it's just "lucky" that Rex found out about the concussion today, when there's no time for any other QB to prepare for the game except .... the Sanchize. Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep. Total coincidence.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    so are we going to sign another qb just in case sanchez gets injured during the bills game?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    so are we going to sign another qb just in case sanchez gets injured during the bills game?
    Kerley. Let's just use Kerley - he's someone we can all agree on, and he's made the best of his opportunities

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    "I didn't feel like it warranted (being reported)," Slauson said. "I was in bad shape, but I could focus on my plays. I figured I'd pop a couple of aspirin and be fine." No wonder Slauson sucks. He was in bad shape but was OK. lol Dear lord the JETS need to start giving IQ tests before signing contracts. That is like when a boxer tells you he is OK because he always hears ringing in his head. Dude that isn't normal you need to see a DR.
    I LOL'd

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Yep, it's just "lucky" that Rex found out about the concussion today, when there's no time for any other QB to prepare for the game except .... the Sanchize. Yep, Yep, Yep, Yep. Total coincidence.
    No time to re-invent the wheel for Tebow. He sux.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ken shroy View Post
    No time to re-invent the wheel for Tebow. He sux.
    LOLz, no NEED to re-invent the wheel for Tebow. Put him in the standard offense and let him sink, stink, or swim.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    LOLz, no NEED to re-invent the wheel for Tebow. Put him in the standard offense and let him sink, stink, or swim.
    We should have done exactly that in Week 10 when we were 3-6.

Instead we stuck with the "best chance to win". What a f*king joke. I'll take a rebuilding year, just get these a-holes out of here.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Notice I didn't quote the whole damn original article just to make a comment about it?
    Hahahaha this x10000

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Not Surprised

McElroy was like a rag doll. The last sack was ferocious. It is fortunate that he walked out in one piece.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO @ the Tebowites holding on for dear life at anything to suppor their hero...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    We should have done exactly that in Week 10 when we were 3-6.

Instead we stuck with the "best chance to win". What a f*king joke. I'll take a rebuilding year, just get these a-holes out of here.
    Yeah, I know. And people have the nerve to call ME hardheaded?
    ----------------------------------
    To set the record straight in case Coach misunderstood me all year:

Regarding McElroy - the kid protected the football as best he could during those 11 sacks. I wonder if he set the record for least fumbles during 11 sacks? I'm not surprised he's concussed. He did the best he could.

Regarding Sanchez - I still give him props for getting up after ButtGate and continuing the game. He didn't fake a jammed finger or brown eye ... oops ... but seriously, it took guts to get back up and keep playing. I'm almost back to my belief at the beginning of the season - when I thought Sanchez had potential but did not have a good supporting cast. But when you don't have a good supporting cast is exactly the best time to try and use Tebow.

Regarding Tebow - what do you have to lose? If he sucks it'll just be blamed on the offense. You won't lose any trade value. If he wins then hey it was only the Bills, even McElroy can beat them

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just home from bowling.

Did awful. Head full of blow and beer.

Somehow, reading all this made me chuckle.

I'm not sure why.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Head full of blow and beer.
    I envy you.