Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revis is Jets only chip to a QB

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    If the Jets are serious about improving the QB postion, they should draft one each of the next 5 years, until they get it right. The draft is the way to go.
    I'm all for drafting a QB and developing him into something worthwhile. The problem is the Jets organization as currently constituted has shown beyond question that they do not have the ability to do this.

If they are going to go the draft route they need to make sure that they have the player development personnel for the position in place.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I'm not expecting a 1st and 2nd, but he is worth a 1st and 3rd and some team will give it if we shop him. "That injury" ain't no different than any other ACL injury. Times have changed, ACL's are not career enders anymore. Hell AP just had his best season every coming 7 months off an ACL surgery. Revis will be fully recovered in time for 2013. As for his contract, I'm certain any team that trades for him will be redoing his contract, making all parties happy.
    No one's paying a 1st and a 3rd for a future HOF CB who wants top QB $$$, who doesn't honor his contract and is an annual risk as a holdout. Sorry.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade him for picks only. This team needs to build through the draft

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I only suggested a trade for Cousins if it involved Kyle Shanahan taking over as the coach of the NY Jets.
    I want a young aggresive OFFENSIVE coach.
    That's how the Saints ended up with Payton.
    Right now there is absolutely no PROVEN QB other than Alex Smith (you know what your getting)
    Flynn? Played one freaking game!
    So who the hell knows whether Kirk Cousins is a better QB than Matt Flynn? NO ONE!

I only know this....Sanchez was a huge mistake that has to be erased by the Jets franchise.
    We gotta get a QB, end of story.
    Revis is our ticket to a QB by direct trade or by using the one of the picks we obtain to draft a guy.

I understand what you are saying, dont get me wrong. I just feel uncomfortable trading a known for something unknown. Assuming Revis does come back full strength, he is a piece of the puzzle that is a consistent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis makes too much money.
    Revis has a bad attitiude - constantly wants an improved contract.
    He is not a future HOFer without a few more seasons.

How has his ACL progressed? Does anyone know? No news is BAD new in this situation. And NO TEAM will trade for him without a certification that he is back 100%.

He will be with the Jets next year. Nobody is trading a good backup QB to the Jets without holding them for ransom - a high pick.
    And the league will not get involved. The Jets are middle of the pack (-). The league couldn't care. Did they get involved with the Colts or other eams that faced problems? No. And they won't now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good news

Glad we are keeping the best defensive player In the NFL and a certain HOFer and not tossing him in the dustbin

for

JAG QB Flynn or

JAG QB Cousins or

picks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem Jetster is all the quarterbacks with franchise potential aren't ready to play right away in the NFL, like Luck or Wilson. We need somebody we can win with for 2 or three years.I want to see an outside linebacker put Bradys lights out. To me thats what will turn a good defense into a great one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Revis cant be traded because his contract is so weird. He is an UFA after this season with no ability to be Franchised.

But forget that....as amazing as a player as Revis is, our pass defense has been virtually the same this year without him which shows how overvalued CBs are in todays NFL.

Here are the starting CBs for the last few SB winners:

Corey Webster - Aaron Ross
    Charles Woodson - Sam Shields
    Tracy Porter - Jabari Greer
    Ike Taylor - Bryant McFadden

Woodson is a great player and Ike Taylor has had an excellent career...after that every name listed above is an average NFL player. CB is a position that a team CANNOT afford to pay someone $8-9 million like we pay Cro and then pay Revis $13 million. It is simply not worth it in a salary cap system.

The smart play by the FO is to trade Cro this offseason. Kyle WIlson is an adequate second corner, especially at his low cap number and we can hopefully get a decent pick for Cro, save money, and hope that Revis comes back at full strength and we can resign him.
    We should be careful with this "our pass defense" was just as good. Fine but overall our defense suffered. We were abysmal against the run and part of it might have to do with having to get more people into coverage. Revis also is a great tackler.

With him, our D immediately steps forward again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    we need to cut ties with all 3 qbs on the roster and start fresh with 3 new guys rookies vets whataver anyone but the 3 we have.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    respectfully disagree

we can't afford the 18 million in dead money to cut ties with Pickchez

and I'm not for dumping McElroy when he costs almost nothing and has played in two games so far... one good and one bad.... not ready to just throw him out the door based on that

as for the other guy

he's out the door on Monday

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd feel more comfortable trading guys for picks if I had faith in the front office to pick the right guy at QB

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    We should be careful with this "our pass defense" was just as good. Fine but overall our defense suffered. We were abysmal against the run and part of it might have to do with having to get more people into coverage. Revis also is a great tackler.

With him, our D immediately steps forward again.
    I think that is the part that is never considered when we think of Revis. He changes the way this team even calls a defense. I'm also worried Crow will start being Crow again too. People don't realize how it is to work under the condition that any injury even one you didn't cause can cut your pay and put you out of a job. Ask Robert Edwards about that. If NFL contracts were guaranteed like NBA or baseball then players wouldn't be trying to get #1 money right after just getting it. NO ONE on the Jets, sources included, have ever stated Revis has a bad attitude.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets will only lose in trading revis.. 1st off will Revis agree to negotiate a extention with a new team before deal is complete? doubt it.. Does he want to play for team that wants him? Unless its a place he wants to be hes going to the open market next year and go where he wants or highest bidder.. Injury does have an effect, no its not the factor it once was.. So teams are not giving up a 1st rounder, probably not even a 2nd for a 1 year rental.. Teams love draft picks, pay them nothing compared to the Vets. If Revis wont sign an extention with Jets then ofcourse we have to cut our loses and trade him.. Maybe a 2nd and 4th. but should try to resign him..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Revis to Washington for Cousins and picks.

Well all know that Snyder would pay Revis. Washington is set on offense for the most part. They need to keep building a dominating D to go along with RG3
    LOL what are you smoking? Revis for Cousins? Utter lunacy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    LOL what are you smoking? Revis for Cousins? Utter lunacy
    no way I want to see revis go. But who knows if he wants to stay, or sign a extention before he goes into the open market bidding war. Do we really risk letting him walk for nothing? MT screwed this team up so bad cant really compete next year. Dont see how we can afford another qb until 2014. unless Sanchez becomes the alltime comeback player ever next year I see another tough year.. If Revis says "I will wait until im a FA and then probably will sign with Jets" I wouldnt take his word.. Id trade him for Cousins or a high pick from another team. Although highly unlikely could even sign Revis as a FA after season and still keep whatever we traded him for.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no way the Jets trade Revis. It's fun to think about, but there's no way they'd get any sort of value to make the deal even close to worthwhile for their sake. To put this in perspective, the last time a 1st and 3rd was traded was when the Vikings gave up those picks for Jared Allen who was 25 and had never been injured, and who played a position that's valued more highly than CB.

Now, there's Revis who will be 28, and is coming off an ACL tear. No team would even give up a 1st for him, especially knowing how much he'd cost after the season if he was healthy. Also, the salary cap makes it very difficult to trade someone like Revis who's making 9 million dollars next season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    There's no way the Jets trade Revis. It's fun to think about, but there's no way they'd get any sort of value to make the deal even close to worthwhile for their sake. To put this in perspective, the last time a 1st and 3rd was traded was when the Vikings gave up those picks for Jared Allen who was 25 and had never been injured, and who played a position that's valued more highly than CB.

Now, there's Revis who will be 28, and is coming off an ACL tear. No team would even give up a 1st for him, especially knowing how much he'd cost after the season if he was healthy. Also, the salary cap makes it very difficult to trade someone like Revis who's making 9 million dollars next season.
    We gave up a 1st and 3rd for Martin who was coming off surgery in 1998.. Revis won't be making 9 million next year because if he don't get a huge contract by Aug he'll hold out..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Revis has a ton of value even coming off that injury. However if we are going to trade him I want picks, not some questionable QB like Flynn, Smith, or Cousins. Smith has shown to be serviceable at best, Flynn is living off the reputation of one game, and Cousins hasn't proven squat that makes him comparable to Revis.
    This if your going to trade him you better get more then a patch fix at QB. I'd rather get a pro bowl OLB back then some jag QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    We gave up a 1st and 3rd for Martin who was coming off surgery in 1998.. Revis won't be making 9 million next year because if he don't get a huge contract by Aug he'll hold out..
    Let him hold out it voids his walk away clause. He'd be stupid to hold out this year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Let him hold out it voids his walk away clause. He'd be stupid to hold out this year.
    Right. Especially knowing he's an unrestricted FA the following year that can't be franchised.