Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Revis is Jets only chip to a QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Let him hold out it voids his walk away clause. He'd be stupid to hold out this year.
    Bottom line is contracts mean nothing to him as he has shown.. He knows the team will either cave or trade him to a team that will pay what he wants.. He feels that the Jets or any team won't let a player of his talent just sit.. And so far he has been right..

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    NO WAY would I ever want Revis playing for another team. The Jets always trade off their truly great talent of the past. I'm sick of it. Revis should be a Jet for his ENTIRE career. Revis is a game changer.
    Same folks who want to trade Revis now will be the folks whining about having traded Revis thre years from now.

Same thing happened with John Abraham.

Glory of the Internet, no one ever remembers random posters past opinions, so they can just sperge new ones anytime.

Let him hold out it voids his walk away clause. He'd be stupid to hold out this year.
    No it does not.- his injury gives him all the leverage he needs. sure he has to report, but that is all he has to do is rehab under the jets doctor's supervision.
    what can the jets do? nothing. Even better than holding out as he gets his workout bonuses and his salary.

But it is not in his best interest to hold out/play sick for two reasons

1. unlike the last time he held out the jets are not going to be odds on to make the playoffs, so all it does it make the team on the field slightly weaker.
    2. his marketability next offseason will be greatly improved if he plays the whole season next year.
    Last edited by patman; 12-28-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the new gm will trade revis and probably take less in return then what you think you would get. Maybe 2 second rounders.

I like revis but he just doesnt fit in the rebuild we are going to undergo.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Same folks who want to trade Revis now will be the folks whining about having traded Revis thre years from now.

Same thing happened with John Abraham.

Glory of the Internet, no one ever remembers random posters past opinions, so they can just sperge new ones anytime.
    I don't think anyone wants to trade Revis, but the question should be would you rather have say Trade with Min for WR Jarius Wright, cb Josh Robinson and the 54pick in the draft or take the chance that Revis plays out his contract and you get the #100 pick in the 2014 draft and that only if you don't sign a tier one FA. And not speaking as a patriot fan only but the jets don't ave a very good chance for a playoff season next year anyway.

Two 1st year players Who together wont make more than 1 mil each for the next 3 years and the 54 pick who you should be able to get a FA or Guard.
    Last edited by patman; 12-28-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No it does not.- his injury gives him all the leverage he needs. sure he has to report, but that is all he has to do is rehab under the jets doctor's supervision.
    what can the jets do? nothing. Even better than holding out as he gets his workout bonuses and his salary.

But it is not in his best interest to hold out/play sick for two reasons

1. unlike the last time he held out the jets are not going to be odds on to make the playoffs, so all it does it make the team on the field slightly weaker.
    2. his marketability next offseason will be greatly improved if he plays the whole season next year.

Can Revis Hold Out?

Well any player can hold out, but the question is why would Revis? For 2012, Revis has guarantees of $8.5 million in salary and a holdout would risk those. Rarely are players giving up what is guaranteed money for a few extra dollars. More importantly the Jets have built holdout protection into his contract. Revisí contract is actually a 7 year contract that voids into a 4 year deal if Revis does not hold out and miss any offseason team activities during the next 2 years. Revis has hefty bonuses attached to every stage of attendance with $1 million in workout bonuses and another $1 million in reporting bonuses these next two seasons. This is not like Cameron Wake making $615,000 from the Dolphins for attending workouts and giving up a $50,000 bonus by missing workouts. $2 million of lost money is a giant chunk of change.

More so, when Revis holds out he loses the ability to void the contract after 2013. That leaves the Jets with the ability to control his rights for $3 million a season from 2014-2017. Quite frankly Revis has no leverage in this situation. If he holds out he would lose $2 million in bonuses and, assuming an expected average annual salary of $11 million a year on a new deal, an addition $8 million a season while he is stuck on the old contract. Thatís $26 million in potential loses with the assumption the Jets blink first. Why would they? The team was 8-8 and could have missed the playoffs with or without Darelle last season.
    That is the one part of the deal that was done right IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Revis to Washington for Cousins and picks.

Well all know that Snyder would pay Revis. Washington is set on offense for the most part. They need to keep building a dominating D to go along with RG3
    A 3 time All Pro CB in his prime for a rookie QB who was taken in the 4th round just 8 months ago and has only 1 NFL start which was against the Browns?

Maybe the Nets can trade Marshon Brooks for LeBron and a 2nd?

Revis should be traded under no circumstances. We have these things called draft picks that can prove to be pretty valuable. If trades are wanted, they are what you use. Not established elite players.

Jets Insider VIP

Trading Revis

If you want something good you need to offer something good of equal value. The most important position is QB and we need to improve this position. It makes sense to trade to get a proven QB. How good were the Jets while he was playing this year? Sanchez seems broke. If a Revis could get us upgrades on Offense it makes sense to me. Especially when you look at a 16 million dollar salary. It's a trade off discussion. Do we stand pat or do we make some intelligent moves.

That is the one part of the deal that was done right IMO
    yes but taking it slow and cautious coming back from a acl tear is not "legally" holding out. His contract is in full force, the jets have to pay him even his work out bonuses als long as he rehabs under the jets medical supervision. he has reported, he is not holding out, he is just being cautious. A full year to recover from an ACL is not unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    A 3 time All Pro CB in his prime for a rookie QB who was taken in the 4th round just 8 months ago and has only 1 NFL start which was against the Browns?

Maybe the Nets can trade Marshon Brooks for LeBron and a 2nd?
    The trade is for one year of Revis. that is all the jets are trading.

Revis is an extremely rare player-there's only a handful of QB's I'd trade him for and even at that, there would need to be multiple players involved on both sides of the deal. I'd trade every other player on the roster before Revis- he's that valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    yes but taking it slow and cautious coming back from a acl tear is not "legally" holding out. His contract is in full force, the jets have to pay him even his work out bonuses als long as he rehabs under the jets medical supervision. he has reported, he is not holding out, he is just being cautious. A full year to recover from an ACL is not unheard of.
    I have no issue with that let him take all the time he wants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Revis is an extremely rare player-there's only a handful of QB's I'd trade him for and even at that, there would need to be multiple players involved on both sides of the deal. I'd trade every other player on the roster before Revis- he's that valuable.
    Agreed Revis is a rare CB and maybe once in a lifetime CB to come along. There is no question.If we continue to score only a handful of points per game then the Defense gets worn down and the whole team gets demoralized. Revis has one year left on his contract and is coming off ACL surgery. He is a chip to help the overall good of the team right off the bat.

I would trade Revis is a heartbeat for a Jay Cutler. Put together a deal for another seasoned QB and some draft picks and I would do it also. We could jump start the team in 2013. Would a Marshaun Lynch or Adrien Peterson make a difference on this team....I think so. JMO