Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revis is Jets only chip to a QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Revis cant be traded because his contract is so weird. He is an UFA after this season with no ability to be Franchised.

But forget that....as amazing as a player as Revis is, our pass defense has been virtually the same this year without him which shows how overvalued CBs are in todays NFL.

Here are the starting CBs for the last few SB winners:

Corey Webster - Aaron Ross
    Charles Woodson - Sam Shields
    Tracy Porter - Jabari Greer
    Ike Taylor - Bryant McFadden

Woodson is a great player and Ike Taylor has had an excellent career...after that every name listed above is an average NFL player. CB is a position that a team CANNOT afford to pay someone $8-9 million like we pay Cro and then pay Revis $13 million. It is simply not worth it in a salary cap system.

The smart play by the FO is to trade Cro this offseason. Kyle WIlson is an adequate second corner, especially at his low cap number and we can hopefully get a decent pick for Cro, save money, and hope that Revis comes back at full strength and we can resign him.
    You mean Tramon Williams for Green Bay

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, im the guy, last week that suggested trading Revis for Orakpo and Cousins. If you read some of the comments of the other posters, they think Revis is too greedy and no other team will take on that kind of salary.Im in favor of trading him, but only for a 1st and second. Im kinda wavering on Matt Flynn. Maybe he should be our target

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets are serious about improving the QB postion, they should draft one each of the next 5 years, until they get it right. The draft is the way to go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    You don't trade a HOF player in his prime for a JAG and picks. Especially one who was choking garbage in college and has one NFL start.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    This. Cousins has played one game and people make him out to be a HOF'er.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    I wish the Jets could send him home to Pittsburgh for Big Ben. Will never happen, but hey, t'would be nice. Ben is going to win another SB, one way or another.
    I'd like to have Cutler and maybe Chicago is ready to go in a different direction with Cutler's injuries. I's even take Sam Bradford who still needs to be developed. I'm a dreamer also.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    You mean Tramon Williams for Green Bay
    Was woodson hurt in that game? I thought shields got a ton of playing time as a late round rookie?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I have posted that i believe the league will step in to help the jets with the ravens if they decide to go with Decosta or another front office type that is under contract. But no way will the league help facilitate a player exchange
    to the injury of another team.

Rozzele stepped in and got George Young from the fins for the Giants and i think they asked Ron Wolfe to help another team in an unofficial capacity some time ago.
    I'm not saying they "step in" as in facilitate a move, I'm saying they "suggest" ideas that could be "discussed" among the teams involved.
    Of course the move would have to be beneficial to both teams.
    I don't think anyone would suggest "foul play" or league interference if an NFC team like the Seahawks worked out a SWAP with the Jets for Sanchez & Flynn with reworked contracts agreed to by both parties.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Flynn, and draft Taylor Bray. Great potential, really immature.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    This. Cousins has played one game and people make him out to be a HOF'er.
    I only suggested a trade for Cousins if it involved Kyle Shanahan taking over as the coach of the NY Jets.
    I want a young aggresive OFFENSIVE coach.
    That's how the Saints ended up with Payton.
    Right now there is absolutely no PROVEN QB other than Alex Smith (you know what your getting)
    Flynn? Played one freaking game!
    So who the hell knows whether Kirk Cousins is a better QB than Matt Flynn? NO ONE!

I only know this....Sanchez was a huge mistake that has to be erased by the Jets franchise.
    We gotta get a QB, end of story.
    Revis is our ticket to a QB by direct trade or by using the one of the picks we obtain to draft a guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I have posted that i believe the league will step in to help the jets with the ravens if they decide to go with Decosta or another front office type that is under contract. But no way will the league help facilitate a player exchange
    to the injury of another team.

Rozzele stepped in and got George Young from the fins for the Giants and i think they asked Ron Wolfe to help another team in an unofficial capacity some time ago.
    From your lips to God's ears.

DeCosta, Arians or Shaw, Norv and Lovie.

My pipe dream.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    keep revis.

the best scenario is trading sanchez and a pick for matt flynn and still draft a qb. damn you tannenbaum.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I only suggested a trade for Cousins if it involved Kyle Shanahan taking over as the coach of the NY Jets.
    I want a young aggresive OFFENSIVE coach.
    That's how the Saints ended up with Payton.
    Right now there is absolutely no PROVEN QB other than Alex Smith (you know what your getting)
    Flynn? Played one freaking game!
    So who the hell knows whether Kirk Cousins is a better QB than Matt Flynn? NO ONE!

I only know this....Sanchez was a huge mistake that has to be erased by the Jets franchise.
    We gotta get a QB, end of story.
    Revis is our ticket to a QB by direct trade or by using the one of the picks we obtain to draft a guy.
    Saints aren't good because of Payton... Just like the Colts weren't good because of Dungy or Caldwell. The Saints are good because of Brees. And will remain good as long as he's around.

And the only reason the Saints remotely struggled this year was because they had one of the worst defenses possible...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    keep revis.

the best scenario is trading sanchez and a pick for matt flynn and still draft a qb. damn you tannenbaum.
    I pray that this happens!
    I don't want to trade Revis but when you are in dire need of getting a QB, sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & do whats best for your future.

Just look around this league at the teams with no QB, it's freaking depressing.
    Meanwhile up in New England their fans still believe because of a fluky schedule & a good defense that Matt Cassel proved in 2008 that Belichick would be just as good without TB12, (probably one of the top 3 QBs in the HISTORY of the league, LMAO!)

Look at how much fun the teams that have QBs are having!
    Look at the Steelers when Big Ben plays hurt....LOSS
    Look at Romo in Dallas playing with an OL that is way worse than the Jets.
    Even teams that stuggle with a great QB like Brees, at least the fans are excited when the offense takes the field.

I just can't watch this Jet offense anymore!
    I long for the days of O'Brien to Walker!
    Do you guys remember the stable of RBs the Jets had in 1985?
    Johnny Hector would look like Adrian Peterson next to Shonn Greene!
    Hell Scott Dierking is a better RB than we have now!
    How exciting was it watching Freeman McNeil tear up Cincy in that playoff game.

The lack of skill players on our offense when you look around the league is an indictment of Tanny & the reason he should never be in on another player discussion EVER!
    "Who's the smart SOB that got Holmes for a 5th round pick?"
    Blow me Tanny!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Dude, im the guy, last week that suggested trading Revis for Orakpo and Cousins. If you read some of the comments of the other posters, they think Revis is too greedy and no other team will take on that kind of salary.Im in favor of trading him, but only for a 1st and second. Im kinda wavering on Matt Flynn. Maybe he should be our target
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Revis has a ton of value even coming off that injury. However if we are going to trade him I want picks, not some questionable QB like Flynn, Smith, or Cousins. Smith has shown to be serviceable at best, Flynn is living off the reputation of one game, and Cousins hasn't proven squat that makes him comparable to Revis.
    Like it or not, Revis is going to be a question mark coming off that injury. Even if he does return to form, no team is giving up a 1st and a 2nd for what amounts to a one year rental. Remember, due to Tanny's genius, Revis can't even be franchised next year. I'm not saying he hasn't high value, but the number of teams who will be interested in allocating top QB type $$$ to a CB, especially one coming off ACL injury, are going to be very limited. And this CB has proven twice that he feels no need to honor his contracts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Revis to Washington for Cousins and picks.

Well all know that Snyder would pay Revis. Washington is set on offense for the most part. They need to keep building a dominating D to go along with RG3
    That or a swap of Sanchez to Seattle for Flynn might make sense as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Matt Flynn, and draft Taylor Bray. Great potential, really immature.
    I like the idea, just not the guy. Bray has no chance to succeed in the NFL. Guys with his mentality never make it work even though it seems so easy to do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Like it or not, Revis is going to be a question mark coming off that injury. Even if he does return to form, no team is giving up a 1st and a 2nd for what amounts to a one year rental. Remember, due to Tanny's genius, Revis can't even be franchised next year. I'm not saying he hasn't high value, but the number of teams who will be interested in allocating top QB type $$$ to a CB, especially one coming off ACL injury, are going to be very limited. And this CB has proven twice that he feels no need to honor his contracts.
    This is probably the biggest issue in pursuing a trade for Revis. Jets have bad luck with top players regarding their personalities.
    Thats why we had to jettison Abraham.

Abraham was playing games with the Jets regarding "wanting to get paid", I believe & I think his teamates believed that he was unwilling to play games nicked up.
    Very rare to get a hall of famer like Ray Lewis that will give his body up to win for the organization & the fans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I'm not expecting a 1st and 2nd, but he is worth a 1st and 3rd and some team will give it if we shop him. "That injury" ain't no different than any other ACL injury. Times have changed, ACL's are not career enders anymore. Hell AP just had his best season every coming 7 months off an ACL surgery. Revis will be fully recovered in time for 2013. As for his contract, I'm certain any team that trades for him will be redoing his contract, making all parties happy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    first off there are maybe 5-10 qb's who could come and actually improve the jets without having to do too much more. can revis be traded for any of those guys? probably not because whether or not revis believes it, he is not worth as much as a qb. if the revis do decide to trade revis they need to bring him back this next season to make sure he's back and then trade him before his last contract year. revis will most likely hold out during his last year and there's just no point at that point to try and re-sign him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only way I trade Revis is if A: I'm getting a solid QB in return. I don't think you trade Revis for an upside guy. Also, B: The team that the Jets trade with takes Sanchez off the Jets hands.

You get a solid qb/prospect and they get the best cb in the league and they take Sanchez's contract... then go for it.

But in reality this wont happen, so don't trade Revis. Especially now that Cromartie has found his inner Revis. This tandem may reach its full potential next season and paired with Landry... I want to see that. This D has the potential to be the best they have had yet. After finally getting some guys that are finding ways to the QB.