Thread: Next OC

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Next OC

Per Rotoworld:

Sports Illustrated confirms the Jaguars have been "gearing up" to fire GM Gene Smith, and will likely dismiss first-year coach Mike Mularkey, as well.
    Owner Shad Khan is reportedly looking to make a "bolder, splashier move" after settling for retread Mularkey last offseason. Firing coaches after one season is rarely fair especially when their cupboard was stocked with Blaine Gabbert but Mularkey has done little to suggest he's the man to turn things around in Jacksonville. Mularkey should have little trouble finding work as an assistant if he's indeed cut loose.

I think Mularkey would be a great fit under Rex. He tutored Matt Ryan in Atlanta while having a run heavy attack w/ Michael Turner. Had great success as an OC everywhere he went, just not as HC. Him and Norv Turner would be the best options in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be very happy if he was hired as OC. He had success in Pitt and even streaky success in Buff, if only for half a season. As a head coach he's never had a decent QB to work with. Him and Norv Turner should be the first two called, but not the only two considered obviously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hes had some ups and downs, but does have the jags at least playing hard.

I am still 100% in the belief that we need a more innovative coach.....particularly someone like Jeff Tedford.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It bothers me that people think coaches have so much to do with a QB turning out well despite it being proven untrue over and over again throughout the NFL...

I know even in some cases that the players say how important the coaches were, but I really believe these guys would find ways to be good/great regardless of the coach.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It bothers me that people think coaches have so much to do with a QB turning out well despite it being proven untrue over and over again throughout the NFL...

I know even in some cases that the players say how important the coaches were, but I really believe these guys would find ways to be good/great regardless of the coach.
    It bothers me that posters think the NFL is Madden 2012 and the QB can make whatever call he likes. The offensive philosophy, the OC's gameplans and the tutelage of a QB coach go a long way in determining the short & long term success of a QB.

Put Peyton Manning behind our OL with the WR's who need a garmin to run their routes correct , throw in a gameplan that puts him in constant 3rd and longs and tell me he would be great .