Thread: I really hope the new GM maintains a consistent strategy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope the new GM maintains a consistent strategy

tannenbaum had some hits and some misses like many GMs in this league but I believe his downfall was the lack of a consistent plan and strategy. Instead he made many short sighted, seat of the pants decision. This approach has in fact has hour organization for a while now and that short term knee jerk approach was at its peak with Mr T. Whether it was Favre, Plax, Tebow, the trading of draft picks etc, the Jets have been the picture of short term solutions, many of them failures.

My hope for our new GM is that he pus in a plan and takes a methodical approach to it ie no Michael Vick. All the best organizations ie the Ravens, steelers, giants have long term strategies in place and they stick to them. Sure a big move every once in a while can work ie Manning to the Broncos but tannenbaum built his whole platform on head scratching big moves and I truly hope the new gM takes the opposite approach.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterLyles View Post
    tannenbaum had some hits and some misses like many GMs in this league but I believe his downfall was the lack of a consistent plan and strategy. Instead he made many short sighted, seat of the pants decision. This approach has in fact has hour organization for a while now and that short term knee jerk approach was at its peak with Mr T. Whether it was Favre, Plax, Tebow, the trading of draft picks etc, the Jets have been the picture of short term solutions, many of them failures.

My hope for our new GM is that he pus in a plan and takes a methodical approach to it ie no Michael Vick. All the best organizations ie the Ravens, steelers, giants have long term strategies in place and they stick to them. Sure a big move every once in a while can work ie Manning to the Broncos but tannenbaum built his whole platform on head scratching big moves and I truly hope the new gM takes the opposite approach.
    Good post. The best example of what you are saying is the Kyle Wilson pick. We thought that the way to beat New England and the other top passing teams was to stock up on corners. Then we decide that no, we need to rush the passer. We didn't have a cohesive plan, and the Wilson pick frankly was a wasted one. As a result, we haven't drafted an offensive player in the top four rounds with any significant positive impact since probably Mangold. Think about how bad that is for a moment.

I agree that we need to have a plan for the next several years and stick to it as best we can. Things will come up as they always do but we stick to it as best we can.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanny has been very consistent in what he has done. Be aggressive, trade up, trade picks for players. That is what he has done all along. I know what the op is getting at and i agree but tanny has been consistent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterLyles View Post

I agree with this and the first order of consistency is to keep Rex Ryan. The players like him and they enjoy playing for him. He's got the defense playing well each and every season. It's his lobby that will allow the Jets to attract some pretty sought after free agents.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tanny's strategy seems consistent but his vision does not. Or, at the very least, his vision doesn't seem to be one that leans on consistency.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I agree with this and the first order of consistency is to keep Rex Ryan. The players like him and they enjoy playing for him. He's got the defense playing well each and every season. It's his lobby that will allow the Jets to attract some pretty sought after free agents.
    I don't mind rex staying on but after each and every defense of Rex on this forum people talk about how good he does with the defense. He is the head coach and as such is totally responsible for the offense, defense and special teams.