Thread: rex denies latest news reports that he wants out.

rex denies latest news reports that he wants out.

Rex Ryan began his press conference today with a disclaimer. "This is going to be a little different," he said.

He then launched into a full-throated and vehement denial of a Daily News report, citing anonymous sources, that said the Jets coach would want certain changes in the organization, including replacing offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, or otherwise he would prefer getting fired.

Ryan called the premise "garbage" and the story "untrue," and that it left him "disappointed" and "mad as a hornet."

"This is the only team I want to coach. Period," Ryan said, repeating several times that the only team he wants to coach is the Jets and he'd like to be at the helm for the next 15 years.

"It is very personal today," Ryan said. "To give up or quit, thatís totally the oppposite. I mentioned that. Iím not stepping down. No chanceÖIt bothers me that I feel I have to comment on it because it was so strong out there. Anybody that knows me knows itís ridiculous."

He later added: "I thought the brunt of the story that unless I got my way I wanted out. Thereís no chance I want out."

Ryan addressed the report with players earlier today, talking to them right after he read the story and described himself as more passionate and emotional than when he addressed the media this afternoon.

Ryan also placed a call to owner Woody Johnson immediately after reading the story. He told Johnson that it "100 percent" did not reflect his view and that he would not give the owner an ultimatum.

Ryan, however, would not address the job status of Sparano. He said that he has not talked to Sparano about the story and that he would not talk about whether he wanted the coordinator to return, citing an organizational policy to not discuss contracts and employment until after the season.

The coach is the latest in a string of reports based on anonymous sources that have ripped several members of the organization this year.

"The fact this still exists, does it bother me? Of course it bothers me," Ryan said.

too bad rex didnt show this much anger and urgency when dealing with the failings of the team mainly the qb position.

Jets Insider VIP
    was this in response to Gary "the Liar" Myers' made up story in today's Scandal sheet or was there another story in that rag?

If it's Myers, I'm certain Rex is correct because that useless little bad toupee wearing 98pound weaking Myers is known for just making up stuff without any sources or basis in fact.

I actually heard the audio of the presser. It was very clear that Rex absolutely wants Sparano gone. The only part of the article he denied was wanting out himself, under any circumstances. Never denied that he wanted Sparano out.

More, they asked him whether he had spoken to Woody about the article, and he said "first thing, right when I read it . . ."

Then they asked if he had spoken to Sparano. He said no, danced around a bit trying to explain it, and then landed on "well, I thought the brunt of the article was I wanted out."

Then they asked if he thought Sparano should be back. He danced again, until he eventually landed on "organizational policy is not to talk about that".

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    was this in response to Gary "the Liar" Myers' made up story in today's Scandal sheet or was there another story in that rag?

If it's Myers, I'm certain Rex is correct because that useless little bad toupee wearing 98pound weaking Myers is known for just making up stuff without any sources or basis in fact.
    Mehta.

Jets Insider VIP
    why wouldn't he want Sparano out?

why wouldn't anyone want Sparano out?

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

I'm so glad you said this, because Myers is the one who wrote the report that Woody must do everything he can to keep Rex. Seriously, what friggin garbage, sourceless drivel is THAT!

sparano failed to execute this offense to its best ability. the guy was a clueless dolt in miami and and it continued here. he should have been gone after week 6.

Do people really still read the Daily News?