Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets should go all in on Sean Payton

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    if Woody goes all in, he may just get convinced.
    Please define, specificly, what "all in" means.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Please define, specificly, what "all in" means.
    Full control assembling a staff/roster and make him the highest paid HC in NFL history.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    How many Coaches in NFL History have won two Super Bowls with two different NFL Franchises?
    Now if you had said Championships I could have said Weeb Ewbank..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Now if you had said Championships I could have said Weeb Ewbank..
    BINGO -- WE HAVE A WINNER

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    He had a QB Rex didn't. I'm not sure he is is that much better if at all than Rex. He still has to answer for the bounty gate though. The NY media would have a field day on the Jets once again.
    Let me remind you that Sanchez was REX'S BOY.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Full control assembling a staff/roster and make him the highest paid HC in NFL history.
    The stench of desperation is just sad.

We're 6-10, our first losing year in a while.

We're not on our 15th consecutive 1-15 season.

These unrealistic, laughably impossible sceanarios, like SAR's "Give Bellichek 10% of Ownership" are just sad.

If Rex is fired, we'll find someone, and it won't cost us full control (which rarely works) or 10% of ownership (Lol) or making them the Highest Coach in NFL history.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Sean Paytons past performence does not guarantee future results?

Can we take into account that he's had an elite QB in his one season of large success, an asset we currently do not and have not possessed.

Are you on the SAR "give them 10% of ownership" aquisition-plan too?
    This. I am a big Yankee fan and I know that Torre is not a great manager, he just inherited great teams. Payton didn't make Brees great. Its more the other way around.

I am not even sure Bill Bellichik will ever win a super bowl without Brady. Bellichick has coached 6 years without Brady and never won a playoff game.

I hate saying this but a guy like Coughlin has won in multiple places and without an all-world QB (Brunell and Elli are not all time greats) I rather have a guy like Coughlin than Payton/Bellichick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    This. I am a big Yankee fan and I know that Torre is not a great manager, he just inherited great teams. Payton didn't make Brees great. Its more the other way around.

I am not even sure Bill Bellichik will ever win a super bowl without Brady. Bellichick has coached 6 years without Brady and never won a playoff game.

I hate saying this but a guy like Coughlin has won in multiple places and without an all-world QB (Brunell and Elli are not all time greats) I rather have a guy like Coughlin than Payton/Bellichick.
    You should never hate saying the truth.. George Seifert was a Super Bowl winning coach as long as he had Montana or Steve Young as his QB.. When he went to the Panthers he was 16-32 in 3 years and was fired..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

We're 6-10, our first losing year in a while.We're not on our 15th consecutive 1-15 season.

These unrealistic, laughably impossible sceanarios, like SAR's "Give Bellichek 10% of Ownership" are just sad.

If Rex is fired, we'll find someone, and it won't cost us full control (which rarely works) or 10% of ownership (Lol) or making them the Highest Coach in NFL history.
    So I should bet the Bills heavy on Sunday??

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchise View Post
    Bree's was never elite until he linked up with Payton in NO. You can argue it either way. There is no denying Payton is a great offensive mind and a great head coach..but there's no chance he's coming here so it's irelevent.
    Might want to look up his 2004 stats in San Diego.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not desperation, it's an attempt to end the perpetual cycle of mediocrity engulfing this team. If you don't believe that the team needs a complete rebuild and a new vision, then we'll have to fundamentally agree to disagree.

Hire Payton, draft a new quarterback(s), and we'll be well on our way toward being a contender for the next decade. This team needs a fresh start with a philosophy and strategy that's built for success in today's NFL.

You can keep repeating that it's unrealistic, but it comes down to Woody's pocketbook and his skills as a businessman. It's something he should pursue heavily. The unrealistic plan is keeping Rex, continuing with the status quo, and expecting different results.

The opportunity to snatch up a proven coach of Sean Payton's caliber does not come around very often. The chances of landing him are pretty slim, but the Jets should do everything in their power to make it happen.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez would literally have 100+ turnovers with a coach that wants to throw!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    Might want to look up his 2004 stats in San Diego.
    In case some are too lazy Bree's had a 65.5% completion rate with 27 tds and 7 picks and the Chargers were 12-4 in 04..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't believe that the team needs a complete rebuild and a new vision, then we'll have to fundamentally agree to disagree.
    Agreed (to disagree).

You make it sound like we're on our 10th year of 1-win seasons. All I can say to such hysteria is "lol".

Hire Payton, draft a new quarterback(s), and we'll be well on our way toward being a contender for the next decade.
    Right, cause it's so easy, a Caveman can do it.

If only, if only.

You can keep repeating that it's unrealistic, but it comes down to Woody's pocketbook and his skills as a businessman. It's something he should pursue heavily

I repeat that it's unrelaistic....because it is. No owner is going to make Payton the highest paid Coach in the NFL. No owner is going to tamper and steal Bellichek for 10% of ownership. And no NFL owner is going to hire 132 year old Tuna as their Coach or GM now.

Real world solutions to real world problems.

The chances of landing him are pretty slim, but the Jets should do everything in their power to make it happen.
    And when they can't or won't, or can't or won't steal Bellichek, or hire the Tuna.....

...Hates Gonna hate.

I'll welcome you back with open arms whenever you decide to come back to the real world my old friend.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll welcome you back with open arms whenever you decide to come back to the real world my old friend.
    I'm not going anywhere.

I'm simply stating my opinion and sharing my strategy of moving this team forward. If the hire does not happen, then at least we tried. There are other satisfactory options out there as well.

The last thing I want to see is Rex and Sanchez both on the Jets next year. It's a worse case scenario with almost zero chance of success.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't matter now. It appears the Saints and Peyton agreed to a 5 year extension. Just flashed on ESPN

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to Glazer, Payton just agreed to a contract extension with the Saints.

Put this one to bed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We didn't go in enough.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Sean Payton's agreement with the Saints is for five years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    We didn't go in enough.
    Right. Probably just the tip.....