Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Only 48 Hours Left In The Rex Ryan Era - Rejoice!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Look, you know I wanted Rex fired, so what follows is my guess as to what Korn/Ferry is advising Woody Johnson to do:

If they've determined that there is no Bill Cowher/Bill Parcells type to come in here and instantly flip the whole team, they'd advise Woody to start with the GM.

From their perspective, perhaps it's more enticing to the top GM candidate out there to choose the Jets over the other NFL teams because he a) gets a free year with a lame duck HC and b) he can focus immediately on players and not have to build a coaching staff completely from scratch.

If it were me, and I were a hot young inexperienced GM candidate, it might be overwhelming for me to reshape the entire team in Year 1. Might be better for me to take the Jets job, settle in with existing coaches, and just start picking players and shaping the roster.

Again, I don't agree with keeping Ryan, but I can see how a professional personnel acquisition management company would set this as a 2-year strategy to ensure that we obtain the best quality GM and then the best quality HC in back-to-back semi-controlled offseasons instead of one tumultuous one.

SAR I
    I agree. Next year is going to be a tough year for the Jets. Rex will be totally accountable for the performance next year. If he fails next year he would have had 3 offensive coordinators, 2 defensive coordinators, 2 GMs. There will be no one left to blame but Rex.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree. Next year is going to be a tough year for the Jets. Rex will be totally accountable for the performance next year. If he fails next year he would have had 3 offensive coordinators, 2 defensive coordinators, 2 GMs. There will be no one left to blame but Rex.
    The way I look at it, Rex Ryan was fired today. He's just not leaving the building until next year.

This would be tragic if the team were a win-now entity capable of a 12 win season and an AFC East title. Fact is, we're a 6-10 mess in the middle of a cap disaster and a rebuild that is just about to get started. Doesn't really matter who is the head coach until the ship is righted. If there was a great HC candidate out there that we'd be passing on, that would be detrimental too, but besides the likes of Andy Reid, I don't see anyone out there to go crazy over.

Rex is gone. His body just occupies someone else's seat for another 364 days.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    For better or worse, we're embarking on a 3-4 year rebuild. I guess if Korn/Ferry thinks its best to chop the GM first and the HC second, that's the process Woody and the fans are going to follow.

With Rex Ryan or without Rex Ryan, we're 6-10 again next year anyway, let him get the headaches and then hire a great HC with an established GM in place a year from now.

It's all about 2015. Bill and Tom will be gone, someone's going to take control of the AFC East, it better be us.

SAR I
    My only question is what does Korn/Ferry bring to the table when it comes to football acumen? The team needs a GM with “football” knowledge, not another bean counter.
    Did the Maras and/or Rooneys hire them when they hired their GM’s?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think he is gone SAR. Woody opened his mouth to fast. Someone told him he should not have said a word about Rex until the new GM is hired. Hence the rug getting pulled out from the 4:45pm press conference.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way I look at it, Rex Ryan was fired today. He's just not leaving the building until next year.

This would be tragic if the team were a win-now entity capable of a 12 win season and an AFC East title. Fact is, we're a 6-10 mess in the middle of a cap disaster and a rebuild that is just about to get started. Doesn't really matter who is the head coach until the ship is righted. If there was a great HC candidate out there that we'd be passing on, that would be detrimental too, but besides the likes of Andy Reid, I don't see anyone out there to go crazy over.

SAR I
    Thats why it was so important to get rid of Tanny. The last thing this team needed was a last ditch effort by a failing regime to mortgage more of the future to finish 8-8.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    If what you're saying is true that would be extremely stupid. Get new OC's and DC's this year under Rex and then fire Rex next year and and start a whole new system with more growing pains till the players are accustomed? Dumb Dumb Dumb

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats why it was so important to get rid of Tanny. The last thing this team needed was a last ditch effort by a failing regime to mortgage more of the future to finish 8-8.
    In a way I'm proud of Woody Johnson. I thought he'd keep Mike because he's the only football guy he has, the last link to the Bill Parcells strategy that came with the team when he bought it in 2000.

He's venturing out on his own, takes a bit of bravery albeit with an experienced placement service onboard.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    If what you're saying is true that would be extremely stupid. Get new OC's and DC's this year under Rex and then fire Rex next year and and start a whole new system with more growing pains till the players are accustomed? Dumb Dumb Dumb
    It's what happened in Cleveland and in Chicago and it failed in both places. But Woody thinks it's a great idea.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking HOW IS REX GOING TO HAVE A WINNING TEAM WITH THIS TOUGH SCHEDULE 2013

= Also, OUR SCHEDULE is tough next year considering we are a 6-10 team.

We have to play the Saints, Falcons, Ravens, and of course our division rivals-

Pats, Dol-fins. Could be rex's last year ( if he makes it to the end. )

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Look, I don't like it at all. Just trying to think about what Woody Johnson and Korn/Ferry is strategizing.

You raise a good point in that all 3 coordinator positions are going to be wide open. In effect, the new GM can fill all 3 spots to his liking, take control over the team in spite of his head coach, and still have Rex Ryan as the lame duck fall guy next New Year's Day.

Me likey.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    My only question is what does Korn/Ferry bring to the table when it comes to football acumen? The team needs a GM with “football” knowledge, not another bean counter.
    Did the Maras and/or Rooneys hire them when they hired their GM’s?
    Seriously? This isnt some temp agency that finds cashiers at Walmart. They have a division dedicated to sports management and have worked with a lot of professional and college teams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look, I don't like it at all. Just trying to think about what Woody Johnson and Korn/Ferry is strategizing.

You raise a good point in that all 3 coordinator positions are going to be wide open. In effect, the new GM can fill all 3 spots to his liking, take control over the team in spite of his head coach, and still have Rex Ryan as the lame duck fall guy next New Year's Day.

Me likey.

SAR I
    You control the coordinators, you control the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Me likey.

SAR I
    And then hire a coach who doesn't get to name his own coordinators? Come on SAR. You can't like that.

Your hero Woody is dumb as sh*t and it's time for you to acknowledge that and not be proud of him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of missing the point.

Rex Ryan = Emmett Kelly a famous clown that leads a circus owned by PT Barnum = Woody Johnson.

"There is no such thing as bad publicity and publicity is all we need"

This is what separates teams like the Jets from the class organizations in the league

And you can't fire the owner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Korn/Ferry is running this show. I'm sure their recommendation was to cut the GM first, make a public statement that Rex Ryan is the coach so as to retain the staff, and then see what the GM search turns up.

If the Jets find a fantastic GM that wants to come here, are all ga-ga over him, and he insists that Rex Ryan has to go, they'll fire him next month.

SAR I
    I agree with this statement. And if they want him to stay so beit. The Jets aren't hiring a new coach before a new GM in any circumstances, so what's the value of firing Rex before hiring a GM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I agree with this statement. And if they want him to stay so beit. The Jets aren't hiring a new coach before a new GM in any circumstances, so what's the value of firing Rex before hiring a GM.
    Woody said what he needed to say.

There's nothing stopping him from saying "letting Rex go today gives us the best chance to win" when he hires Scott Pioli and Josh McDaniels next week.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing stopping him from saying "letting Rex go today gives us the best chance to win" when he hires Scott Pioli and Josh McDaniels next week.

SAR I
    Hiring Pioli after what he did in kc would be like hiring Kotite after losing his last 7 with the Eagles.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    and McDaniels was the whiz kid who pushed Elway into drafting the incredibly horrible Tim Teblow in the first round of the NFL draft

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Hiring Pioli after what he did in kc would be like hiring Kotite after losing his last 7 with the Eagles.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I wasn't advocating Pioli; just using that as an example of what Woody could say which counters his "Rex Ryan is our coach" statement of today.

At any time, Woody Johnson can say he is removing Rex Ryan for the betterment of the team. All he said today is that Rex is our coach. Doesn't mean he's our coach tomorrow. Just means he's our coach today.

SAR I