Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: myers to rex stop the sobbing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post

=If you follow my columns at all youíll recall that I think Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach. The Ground-And-Pound ethos is an archaic bunch of garbage that no title-winner in the past 10 years has subscribed to. The league is different these days, and there is no place at the summit of an NFL sideline for a guy who has no feel for modern offense. Your defense better be the í85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens in order to win with a middling offense. We know the Jets defense is good but itís nowhere near all-time good.

And after all that, I accept and am okay with Ryan being back next season as head coach. If I were running the team he would be gone, but Iím not going to act like heís Rich Kotite or something. The Jets have made deep playoff runs under his lead (although I think the case can be made that he took over Eric Manginiís teams and the more and more heís gotten his handprints on this franchise, itís gotten worse).
    How many AFC Championships did Mangini get to?? How many playoff games did he win??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Instead of ripping the jets, why doesn't Myers rip the Giants, who look like they're about to choke away the playoff this year after being 8-5

I remember another 8-5 team he ripped relentlessly for not making the playoffs
    You mean the team that's won two Super Bowls in the last 5 years?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post

=If you follow my columns at all youíll recall that I think Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach. The Ground-And-Pound ethos is an archaic bunch of garbage that no title-winner in the past 10 years has subscribed to. The league is different these days, and there is no place at the summit of an NFL sideline for a guy who has no feel for modern offense. Your defense better be the í85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens in order to win with a middling offense. We know the Jets defense is good but itís nowhere near all-time good.

And after all that, I accept and am okay with Ryan being back next season as head coach. If I were running the team he would be gone, but Iím not going to act like heís Rich Kotite or something. The Jets have made deep playoff runs under his lead (although I think the case can be made that he took over Eric Manginiís teams and the more and more heís gotten his handprints on this franchise, itís gotten worse).
    This is spot on.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    When John Riggens played for the Jets in the 70's he said the Fins played with the enthusiasm of a HS team.. You know what the press wrote?? Riggens says Miami no better then a HS team.. He boycotted the media after that..
    If Rex and the team boycotted the media, they'd just make up things to cause dissention. However, I believe the team would benefit greatly from some rules on speaking with the media, and at e very least cut down on the media frenzy of negativity and half truths.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many AFC Championships did Mangini get to?? How many playoff games did he win??
    No question in my mind that the 2008 Jets were primed.

Unfortunately, they had a QB who required shoulder surgery and refused to be benched.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CGJET View Post
    If Rex and the team boycotted the media, they'd just make up things to cause dissention. However, I believe the team would benefit greatly from some rules on speaking with the media, and at e very least cut down on the media frenzy of negativity and half truths.
    HC's can't avoid the media..As much as BB would like to, but playing in NY especially with the Fan message boards now all a writer has to do is drop in and see how the fans are posting and write articles that mirror the way fans feel.. And with the mental cases that some fans are facts don't matter..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    HC's can't avoid the media..As much as BB would like to, but playing in NY especially with the Fan message boards now all a writer has to do is drop in and see how the fans are posting and write articles that mirror the way fans feel.. And with the mental cases that some fans are facts don't matter..
    What do you mean some fans. Fan is short for fanatic. I would say all Fans are mental except you and me of course. We are completely objective.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CGJET View Post
    Rex likes to listen to Rex talk. That's the problem. That won't change.

The only time he's subdued is when he's sad and the only time he's sad is when the Jets are losing miserably. So if you want a subdued Rex, then you also need to be willing to have a mediocre Jets team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2ģ View Post

What could Rex possibly learn from BB, Coughlin ... is there anything they have accomplished that Rex hasn't?

I wonder.

There is one thing ... and you can add most other Super Bowl winning coaches in the modern era since this game became so skewed towards offense and protecting the quarterback at all cost ....

Find a franchise, top five quarterback.
    Kosar, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Cassell will only get you so far ...

BB is a Hall of Fame coach who might be seen in a different light if he had not managed to unearth that rarest of metals a star qb ...

Coaching is important but surely not a fraction as important as having a top five QB ?

You have to go back to a time when defensive football was allowed to get to the QB to find coaches that managed to win the super bowl with game manager QB's - Gruden did it with Brad Johnson and Brian Billick did it with Trent Dilfer.

Do I think Rex Ryan would have won three Super Bowls with Tom Brady and the overall talent level on the Patriot roster ? It's a question that no one will ever no the answer to but if I was to guess ... yes, I do.

Would Rich Kotite have won three super bowls with Tom Brady and the talent level on the Patriots roster ?

No, Rich Kotite would not have won three Super Bowls but he would not be ridiculed in NFL trivia history as he is now. Under Rich Kotite I am guessing the Patriots would have made it to the playoffs in multiple years and who knows .. maybe Kotite might even have squeaked out a Super Bowl trip.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me that Rex is acting with confidence that he will return for a rematch in 2013.

Displaying frustration and determination as he did yesterday, even if the rumors of his demanding offensive changes are partially true, one does not make demands through ultimatums if one's leverage is weak.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    No question in my mind that the 2008 Jets were primed.

Unfortunately, they had a QB who required shoulder surgery and refused to be benched.
    He was going for that dopey consecutive game starts stat.. He was a idiot for doing it.. But when Martin did it in 02 going for a 1,000 yd stat with 2 high ankle sprains he was a warrior.. He did it again in 2005 when he was to hurt to practice.. The old double standard gotta love it..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please refrain from mentioning the name of R___ K____e especially at this time of upheaval and probable change in the Jet organization

I had this bad nightmare last night in which I was watching a press conference in which Mr Johnson announced that R___ K____e had been hired as the new General Manager/Head Coach of the NYJ

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Seems to me that Rex is acting with confidence that he will return for a rematch in 2013.

Displaying frustration and determination as he did yesterday, even if the rumors of his demanding offensive changes are partially true, one does not make demands through ultimatums if one's leverage is weak.
    Rex wants out... All of his old soldiers will be off the team next yr and he knows even better than us fans the mess Himself and tanny have created with this roster. He also has the media cutting him down at every turn,which makes for some tough sailing. I believe that Woody will offer to allow Rex to stay as DC at the same salary. Rex will refuse the demotion and they will neg. some kind of settlement. Rex then can go start new somewhere else and hopefully we can fleece the team for a kings ransom of draft picks for Mevis

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Hated - are you friggen out of your mind. The NY media loves Rex, he's a walking soundbite for them and helps them sell stories even when they have to fabricate them . If and when Rex leaves it will be a sad day for NY media.
    hated...............the sports page isnt supposed to be the comics or dear abbey. sports writers are sick and tired of rex ryan and his antics over and over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    hated...............the sports page isnt supposed to be the comics or dear abbey. sports writers are sick and tired of rex ryan and his antics over and over.
    Disagree

Mehta sees himself blasted in a presser..a belated Christmas present to him snd to his Toilet Paper.

The attention whoring jackals see it as a career advancement step ehich is why they fabricate embellish and sensationalize rather than report

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I had this bad nightmare last night in which I was watching a press conference in which Mr Johnson announced that R___ K____e had been hired as the new General Manager/Head Coach of the NYJ
    That's funny ... and for those that want to get rid of Rex be careful what you wish for ... there are lot's of Rich Kotite's walking around out there ...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    and the circus continues. I can't wait for this to end. It really hurts to watch this day after day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    and the circus continues. I can't wait for this to end. It really hurts to watch this day after day.
    Thats strange. I read you lauding your Giants on another thread and am wondering if you are talking about their circus

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was going for that dopey consecutive game starts stat.. He was a idiot for doing it.. But when Martin did it in 02 going for a 1,000 yd stat with 2 high ankle sprains he was a warrior.. He did it again in 2005 when he was to hurt to practice.. The old double standard gotta love it..
    Right except that we were talking about the relative successes of Mangini and Ryan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we should just compare their NFL head coaching records in that case

Off the top of my head

Itsaprocess

Two teams 5 seasons two winning seasons one postseason appearance 0 postseason wins

Rex

One team 4 seasons two winning seasons 6 postseason appearances 4 postseason wins 2 conference championship games

The winner by a Knockout in the first round

REX "MAD AS A HORNET" RYAN

Hopefully this concludes the JI revisionist glorification of Coach Itsaprocess and ends the yearning, pining and longing for the return of those glory days to the Jets