Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most likely GM candidate

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like

Most likely GM candidate

Joey Clinkscales

He was the Vice President of scouting for the Jets for many years before going to Oakland to become the Director of player personnel this past off-season. Even though he is not a big name he is what we all desire, a GM with real talent evaluation skills. He is also a good fit for Woody b/c more then likely he would be willing to still have Tannenbaum in the Jets FO b/c they have worked together in the past and he would also more then likely be willing to keep Rex for at least another year while restructuring the offensive assistants. If Woody truly wants to just demote Tanny and keep Rex for next year I think that Clinkscales is most likely the top candidate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Joey Clinkscales

He was the Vice President of scouting for the Jets for many years before going to Oakland to become the Director of player personnel this past off-season. Even though he is not a big name he is what we all desire, a GM with real talent evaluation skills. He is also a good fit for Woody b/c more then likely he would be willing to still have Tannenbaum in the Jets FO b/c they have worked together in the past and he would also more then likely be willing to keep Rex for at least another year while restructuring the offensive assistants. If Woody truly wants to just demote Tanny and keep Rex for next year I think that Clinkscales is most likely the top candidate.
    This would be a typical Woody move and do NOTHING to help this team. This needs to be blown up, not more of the same.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible move. It'd be a status quo hire and I don't think Woody is that out of touch with reality.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you were clink scales do u take the job?? this might be just a band aid move to appease the fan base to a degree but theres a good chance with this teams current cap issues and QB problems they have a similar year next year then woody has the financial freedom i.e. rex..sanchez..tanny..to blow it up big time and clink scales is left in the wind..idk..if i was clinkscales i guess you would have to get a long term deal w the assurances if rex has another bad year the freedom to pick his own coach...i do feel clinkscales was against alot of tannys picks last few years as there were rumblings of discord in the draft room and now woody sees maybe clinkscales would have been better w final say

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Terrible move. It'd be a status quo hire and I don't think Woody is that out of touch with reality.
    This next week will tell alot about the ol Woodster!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if this is the hire that is going to fix everything. It may not fix anything.

Right now our culture is killing the team. When you hire from within, you are accepting the status quo. This move assures minimal changes. I know - Clinkscales is currently employed in Oakland, but he was here for several years and just left recently.

He was head of the scouting department that drafted Gholston, Sanchez, DuCasse, etc. The same scouting department that has nothing to show from the back half of the draft with the exception of Kerley.

What we should be doing is reaching out to Ross (NYG), Gamble, or Caldwell (ATL).

We are the Jets. We are in a perpetual loop of mediocrity. Until we do something to change this, all the internal promotions mean nothing. Sometimes the right moves are difficult. Sometimes the right moves force the organization to take a temporary step backwards. It's because we are not willing to make difficult decisions, not willing to sacrifice the present for the future that we will always come up short of our goal.
    Last edited by pcola; 12-29-2012 at 11:22 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    great what the jets need a yes man for the job...........why go out and get a new idenity and bring a new culture to the jets mess............this would be something only the jets do...........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    What exactly leads you to the conclusion that Woody is not out of touch with reality? Serious question.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So if we hire Clinkscales and reassign Tannenshiitforbrains, we wind up with EXACTLY the same group of 3 losers that has already doomed this franchise just each with a different title. What a ridiculously bad move that would be.

We should be looking at someone like Scot McCloughan or Brandon Hunt

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    So if we hire Clinkscales and reassign Tannenshiitforbrains, we wind up with EXACTLY the same group of 3 losers that has already doomed this franchise just each with a different title. What a ridiculously bad move that would be.

Interesting...Nice research!

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...9-c267d559ef12

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clinkscales is finishing up his first year as the director of player personnel in Oakland. He went out there when McKenzie got the GM gig. No way I want any part of that for obvious reasons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joey Clinkscales

I get the impression that you are a WRECKS CRYIN' fan and only worried that he stays on as HC with Tannybum staying on as our capologist. How about advocating for a real GM? You know one who can lead us to a SUPER BOWL victory! I think WOODY must go outside of the organization for a GM with great ability on all levels!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    SOJ

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    For an organization trying so hard to model the NY Yankees operation the Jets are looking like the NY Mets. Although not fair to Mets fans as they seem to headed in a better direction than the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I like it

The Jets are stuck with Sanchez in 2013. They aren't going any place next year with all the Cap issues and aging players, and FAs that need to be signed. So a new GM that can get us a bunch of good draft picks, keeping Rex, and moving us in the right direction seems like a good move. IMO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

If tannenbaum was clinkscales boss the past 3 years, then how could they demote tannenbaum and make clinkscales his boss??? From an organizational standpoint that is absolutely INSANE?

Not only is it poor management, but given the amount of money tannenbaum has made in his career, and his "decent" resume in the league circles, he would have to be ABSOLUTELY spineless to accept a demotion and have his former underling be his boss.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joey Clinkscales

You have got to be kidding, no way, we want change a new QB an OC a special team coach
    among a few other players.
    Last edited by TechJet; 12-29-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joey Clinkscales

I agree with everything here. Clinkscales should be the man not only because he's very qualified, but because he has a good working relationship with everyone involved in this shuffle. He's a talent evaluator and a very good one at that. He's a football guy, something Tanny was not.

If Clinkscales gets hired, here's hoping he keeps Rex as HC. Any wise GM should be listening to the players. The players are definitely going to have Rex's back, as he has always had theirs.

But the guys like Sparano? Doesn't have a working relationship with Clinkscales. Failed in Miami as HC. Failed as OC this season. He should be gone as he's clearly not progressing in any of his roles.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    He's a talent evaluator and a very good one at that.
    The specific evidence of that is......what?

He may be what you and others claim, but what is that claim based on? What specific players has he be instrumental in selecting, aquiring or developing in his career, for example?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hiring Clinkscales essentially leaves everything as is. Clinkscales was with the Jets until prior to last season when he left for Oakland. So basically if Woody hires Clinkscales as GM, and re-assigns Tannenbaum, he has the exact same organization he's always had except the titles have changed.