Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Tannenbaum finished as Jets GM

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    The thing with Tanny staying is this:

We really need to give our new GM total control. If we're getting a new guy to run this organization (I use that term loosely,) he should make all decisions including whether or not Tannenbaum and Bradway stay.
    As long as the new GM has the autonomy to remove Tanny at his discretion, I'm fine with it. If Tanny staying is a prerequisite, that is a big problem. We all complained about Rex being forced to keep Shotty. The fate of Tanny AND Rex should be the New GM's call. He should be able to surround himself with the people he needs to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Really?? What company is that? I am not talking about mid-level management, it is Upper Management CEO level Executives.
    MD level reassignment happens all the time, especially in the current era of cutbacks and organizational changes due to staff reductions.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    As long as the new GM has the autonomy to remove Tanny at his discretion, I'm fine with it. If Tanny staying is a prerequisite, that is a big problem. We all complained about Rex being forced to keep Shotty. The fate of Tanny AND Rex should be the New GM's call. He should be able to surround himself with the people he needs to be successful.
    Is it normally the GM's duty to hire and fire front office personnel? I thought that was under the purview of the team President.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    We had lots of very good players but they got old, injured, or refused to get up for games. Examples that had an impact: Revis, Holmes,Keller, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, LT (retiring, Greene etc

By getting a new OC players had to learn a new system by a coach that is a bull in a china closet.

Tebow is on Johnson or Tannenbaum? I'm not sure it wasn't to sell PSLs.

The Jets suck but I don't think it is all on Tanny. It's a lot of cluster F..ing

Sanchez is broke but it wasn't that he was a bad pick as he wasn't surrounded with protection and receivers. Getting rid of Braylon and giving Holmes a blank check was Tannys biggest mistake IMO; the rest is debatable as a shared decision.
    A REAL voice of reason! Hey Jordy, I can do it too...

Good post!

Veteran
    Has it been reported anywhere else?

No punch line. Just a lot of stuff has happened including Revis' injury. Rex had them playing inspite of it all. A GM makes bad picks and choices but all the injuries are just bad luck. Aging players need to be replaced.

Imagine if we had RG3 or Luck next year. One QB can make a difference.

this is MT.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNcM4YjzgHY

I think any new GM will be a mojor improvement over MT. Atleast the new GM only has one side of the ball to work on. But its i mess thanks to Tanny.. Thankfully Rex has done MT's job when it comes to D player evals picking the right guys to sign or keep, and personally working out draft picks like Mo and Coples to make sure they are the right picks.. There is not much the new gm can do next year outside of the draft due to MT's cap borrowing over the years and worst decision in history to give sanchez another year. I will puke if we are forced to play Sanchez next yr due to his contract and the cap problems.. Amazing that the only other qb we draft in 4 years is a 7th rounder. Good value though, will give MT credit for that, he should have gone in the 6th

Jets Insider VIP
    No punch line. Just a lot of stuff has happened including Revis' injury. Rex had them playing inspite of it all. A GM makes bad picks and choices but all the injuries are just bad luck. Aging players need to be replaced.

Imagine if we had RG3 or Luck next year. One QB can make a difference.
    Injuries happen to every team in the NFL. Pats lost Brady and still won 11 games. It's no excuse.

Rex had them playing? You mean like during the 34-0 loss to SF? The 30-9 loss to Miami? The 28-7 loss to Seattle? The Thanksgiving massacre? Take away the ridiculously crap opponents and the Jets fail to win 5 games this season.

And, to your last point, woulda, coulda, shoulda. There are no "ifs" in football. One QB does make all the difference, but that is hardly earth-shattering news. IF Tannenbaum had acquired a better backup, maybe the Jets would've fared better. IF Tannenbaum surrounded his QB with weapons, maybe the offense isn't as terrible. IF Tannenbaum was a better scouter of talent, maybe the Jets wind up with better draft picks. IF Tannenbaum didn't give away money like it was candy, maybe the Jets would not be in cap hell.

See? I can do that, too.

I totally agree, but the problem is Woody may not hire a GM unless that GM is willing to keep Tanny in the organization to begin with. It's a huge issue.

Fair, agreed

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Is it normally the GM's duty to hire and fire front office personnel? I thought that was under the purview of the team President.
    If I were a GM candidate and Woody told me that the "cap guy" wouldn't be reporting directly to me, I wouldn't take the job. Especially if that guy was the guy I was replacing and someone MY boss (woody) has known for over a decade. This isn't an accountant were talking about. This is the former head of football operations. If I'm not to be trusted to structure the org the way I need it structured, I'm setting myself up for failure.

That said, I think you can go in with an open mind. Tanny can be useful for the transition process. He has a lot of institutional knowledge that can be leveraged in the beginning. And then, after time, if he carves out a role that works for everyone, maybe he stays. But the GM gets to decide.

Hall Of Fame
    I continue to be astonished by the Jets fascination with keeping around the used toilet paper AFTER they have already wiped their ass with it.

This whole reassignment thing IMO is about Woody not really wanting to admit to himself that Tanenbaum was his mistake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I continue to be astonished by the Jets fascination with keeping around the used toilet paper AFTER they have already wiped their ass with it.

This whole reassignment thing IMO is about Woody not really wanting to admit to himself that Tanenbaum was his mistake.
    Like Bill Cowher said last week, the Jets are a completely dysfunctional organization.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Yes. When it came down to it, WJ didn't have guts to fire a friend.
    Bingo

If I were a GM candidate and Woody told me that the "cap guy" wouldn't be reporting directly to me, I wouldn't take the job. Especially if that guy was the guy I was replacing and someone MY boss (woody) has known for over a decade. This isn't an accountant were talking about. This is the former head of football operations. If I'm not to be trusted to structure the org the way I need it structured, I'm setting myself up for failure.

That said, I think you can go in with an open mind. Tanny can be useful for the transition process. He has a lot of institutional knowledge that can be leveraged in the beginning. And then, after time, if he carves out a role that works for everyone, maybe he stays. But the GM gets to decide.
    That's not the point though... The GM is not responsible for peer equivalent hirings...

If you're saying someone would be uncomfortable having him in a role still then that person is too weak to cut it...

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Despite this season, Tannenbaum's full circle of work has been extremely sub-par. If there needs to be a fall guy for this team's demise, he deserves to be first on the list.

He's not a football guy. He's a capologist which is where he should be re-assigned back to doing exclusively.
    Tannenbaum actually has a successful track record as a NFL GM. Woody set him up for failure this year demanding the Tebow trade.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    That's not the point though... The GM is not responsible for peer equivalent hirings...

If you're saying someone would be uncomfortable having him in a role still then that person is too weak to cut it...
    No. He is not a peer equivalent. Tanny would be a subordinate.

Your "too weak to cut it" statement leads me to believe you don't understand how businesses work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Like Bill Cowher said last week, the Jets are a completely dysfunctional organization.
    Cowher must be thinking to himself "thank God woody said that I would have to accept Tannenbaum as my GM if I took the jets job. If not I might have considered the job and what a mistake that would have been for my sanity".

i have a foot with Tannenbaum's ass written all over it

Absolutely everyone under Woody need to be held accountable for player evaluation, drafting, and football decision making. All of which the Jets have sucked at for 4 decades already. Stop the madness.