Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Tannenbaum finished as Jets GM

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Complete crap.

There is no reason to hate on Tannenbaum remaining with the team in a reassigned role.

The most important change is that he will no longer be the GM, he will no longer be "running" the organization, that is what most want, and that is what is going to happen, but that isn't good enough, fans just need to *****.
    Start reading at paragraph 10, history is repeating itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/sp...rybradway&_r=0

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was Pettine the source?

Well there goes our shot at getting a legit GM. I don't understand why the new guy can't decide Tanny's fate.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

And I'm not telling people how they should feel about it you pathetic twit, I'm asking why are people upset about it. Learn to read.
    Always with the name-calling. Internet tough guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not worried about Tanny being retained as problem re attracting qualified candidates. The coach is far more of a problem in that regard.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    and yet another thread of circus acts. NY Jets = NFL Clowns

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if forced to rank 'blame' for how the jets got to the state they're in, IMO:

1) tanny. traded too many picks, whiffed on a few high picks, and will forever be remembered as the guy who traded up for...

2) sanchez. never developed as hoped and has clearly regressed. turnover machine who, well, no need to bash here.

3) rex/schotty/sparano. rex gets blame for ignoring the offense for years. his ground and pound philosophy seems antiquated but considering who he has as qb, his best chance of winning was to run the ball and throw it sparingly. worse, he was bequeathed schotty, another woody fave, and then - we think - hired sparano on his own volition. it's possible tanny pushed him on rex.
    I mostly agree with you. Hindsight is 20/20. There were times when Santonio and Braylon were clicking on all cylinders. With LT in the mix, things were good. Somehow we fell off the playoff cliff.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Because he'll never just be a cap guy now with the Jets because he's also the former GM who is connected with a lot of the players on the team. There will always be that aura hanging in the air and I believe it's an uncomfortable and unnecessary environment for any new GM, no matter how experienced he may or may not be.
    This makes no sense.

How is he connected with players on the team? How will Tannenbaum remaining with the team affect those players either way? Aura? How do you know what will be uncomofortable for the new GM? This has been done a lot throughout the NFL, ex coaches move upstairs to the front office, they hire coaches. I remember for years, after Ron Wolf stepped down, teams would hire him as a consultant, that didn't seem to impact the GM.

There is no downside to moving Tannenbaum into a role he is good at, it will not impact any players on the team. The biggest issue is the effect of moving Tannenbaum out of the GM role, and if Tannenbaum has burned bridges during his time as a GM with agents thoughout the league, that is the #1 thing that changes and with the Jets, and that is what everybody wants, that is what is happening.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is NO negative impact to the team. NONE. Unless you're going to all predict he will be bad in his new role, which will most likely be back to serving in a role as capologist, or involved with player contracts, and probably some other administrative role on the team, it's a role NONE of us will ever see him peform, nor will we ever see impact of his new role against the new GM to take over.

And I'm not telling people how they should feel about it you pathetic twit, I'm asking why are people upset about it. Learn to read.
    Yeah, you're asking. Not telling.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'm not worried about Tanny being retained as problem re attracting qualified candidates. The coach is far more of a problem in that regard.
    Agreed. If any GM is scared of Mike Tannenbaum usurping them, then they shouldn't be a GM.

If you give the guy coming in power to make the personnel decisions and hire his own staff with the exception of one measly person, then I think it is fair and acceptable.

Tanny is not going to be put in a place to threaten the current GM. Bradway didn't make Tanny feel threatened did he? So the guy coming in shouldn't feel threatened by Tanny.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This makes no sense.

How is he connected with players on the team?
    LOL.

Really?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

I can't believe some people refuse to see this.
    it's like keeping your ex around but saying to your new flame that you're just friends.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always with the name-calling. Internet tough guy.
    As usual, you respond to another one of my posts by attacking my integrity, and making accusations, then you make up complete bull**** about the intent of my post.

You're an a-hole, GFY!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Complete crap.

There is no reason to hate on Tannenbaum remaining with the team in a reassigned role.

The most important change is that he will no longer be the GM, he will no longer be "running" the organization, that is what most want, and that is what is going to happen, but that isn't good enough, fans just need to *****.
    For the love of God please take your own ****ing advice!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why should you or anybody care that Tannenbaum will be stay within the organization in a different role?

If Tannenbaum is serving in a role he is good at, why should any of us care, he won't be the GM, he won't be making the decisions on the team, he won't be dealing with agents, he won't be running the draft room, etc etc.

I just don't get the *****ing of this fanbase sometimes...
    Because it bad business to demote upper management and keep them in organizations, especially TWO former GMs. It just doesnt happen in the corporate world very often and most upper management will tell you they dont want their predecessors anywhere near their office. For some reason the Jets seem to have no problems with this.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This makes no sense.

How is he connected with players on the team? How will Tannenbaum remaining with the team affect those players either way? Aura? How do you know what will be uncomofortable for the new GM? This has been done a lot throughout the NFL, ex coaches move upstairs to the front office, they hire coaches. I remember for years, after Ron Wolf stepped down, teams would hire him as a consultant, that didn't seem to impact the GM.

There is no downside to moving Tannenbaum into a role he is good at, it will not impact any players on the team. The biggest issue is the effect of moving Tannenbaum out of the GM role, and if Tannenbaum has burned bridges during his time as a GM with agents thoughout the league, that is the #1 thing that changes and with the Jets, and that is what everybody wants, that is what is happening.
    Nah, GM candidates would always wonder how much he has Woody's ear and who's Woody going to back if there's a disagreement about who to sign, how much to pay them, etc. In my experience (obviously all outside of football), demotions don't work. When things are at that point, it's time to part for everyone's benefit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you're asking. Not telling.
    This was the post you responded to...

Why should you or anybody care that Tannenbaum will be stay within the organization in a different role?

If Tannenbaum is serving in a role he is good at, why should any of us care, he won't be the GM, he won't be making the decisions on the team, he won't be dealing with agents, he won't be running the draft room, etc etc.

I just don't get the *****ing of this fanbase sometimes...
    Notice the use of "Why" and the "?"

Where am I telling fans how to think you insufferable clown?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion;4747427[B
    ]Nah, GM candidates would always wonder how much he has Woody's ear and who's Woody going to back if there's a disagreement about who to sign, how much to pay them, etc. [/B]In my experience (obviously all outside of football), demotions don't work. When things are at that point, it's time to part for everyone's benefit.
    Not if the GM candidate has full confidence in himself and establishes a good relationship with the owner. Not if the owner gives the GM full power over personnel decisions.

If they choose not to give full power over personnel decisions then there won't be a GM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We know hes done. The only question was is he going to accept the offer to be reassigned. Im hoping he declines that offer.
    He wont. He is still under contract and there is no team in the league that would hire him as GM. I just hope that the idiot Woody gives the new GM total power and that the Bean Counter is silenced.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    Nah, GM candidates would always wonder how much he has Woody's ear and who's Woody going to back if there's a disagreement about who to sign, how much to pay them, etc. In my experience (obviously all outside of football), demotions don't work. When things are at that point, it's time to part for everyone's benefit.
    I think it would depend who the GM candidates are. It's quite possible that NFL execs and potential GM's would value Tannenbaum's services having been running the team, he would at least be a resource to get the new GM up to speed on all facets of the team, the current roster, personnell, college scouting, etc etc. Tannenbaum does have good recognition as a cap guy, that could be huge for a any GM coming in, depending on his experience.

I just don't agree that Tannenbaum serving in an alternative role is bad in every sense, there are also a lot of good that can be made of it as mentioned.

I would probably agree that if a candidate was a high profile guy, he may want to clean house, but who is that guy out there worthy of consideration?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    Start reading at paragraph 10, history is repeating itself.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/sp...rybradway&_r=0
    Ok, and what history is that?

The team retained Bradway in a reduced role and neither Bradway or Tannenbaum had a problem with it.

The problem here is everybody is assuming that the team retaining Tannenbaum in a lesser role with the team, an obvious lesser role, but probably in a role he excelled at and made a name for himself, would impact the new GM. It did NOT impact Tannenbaum the first time, so why are we assuming that it will this time?

Again, Tannenbaum could also be a very good resource to the new GM as he settles into his new role. This wouldn't be the first time something like this is done, NFL front office types create relationships across the league, it's like people think Mike T doesn't know anybody, and nobody knows who Mike T is.

Unless it is a high profile guy, somebody who would WANT to come in and clean house, if the potential candidate has ties to Mike T, I would think it would be a rather seamless transition.

Too many are making assumptions without any basis.