Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Nassib

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He has made one real bad play today, the near pick six on the last drive...awful read and decision, especially with a big lead.

Other then that, every throw he has made has hit the intended WR in the hands. Yes the TD was tipped....so he was 2 inches to low with it, it happens.

Amazing that people can rip nassib for his performance today, but the consensus "BEST QB" in the draft has played awful and its not his fault.

Obviously Nassib isnt "cant miss" if he was we wouldnt be discussing him in the second or third round.

Personally I think its better to fill a legitimate hole with our first round pick and then gamble that a guy like nassib, who has an NFL arm, is 6'2 225 that can run and has had 2 seasons with over 60% completion that he can be a good pro once the talent around him improves.
    Are you sure Smith has been awful?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323640183

I see one guy played on team that ran for almost 400 yards and the other guy didn't. One guy also completed 2/3 of his throws while the other guy was lucky to complete half of his.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think EJ Manuel is the way to go in 2nd round. Huge upside, well-coached in college. His stock is a little down bc people expected more from him this year.

I will be fascinated to see how Tony rates all of these guys after the Senior Bowl and Combine. Seems like they are all in the same boat.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the thing. If we take any of these guys in round 1 or 2 it's a mistake because they are not close to cant miss projects.

If we have an opportunity to jump on a guy like Nassib in the 4th round or later. Then go for it. If he doesn't develop oh well. But we gotta draft guys who are going to contribute significantly in rounds 1-3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Are you sure Smith has been awful?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=323640183

I see one guy played on team that ran for almost 400 yards and the other guy didn't. One guy also completed 2/3 of his throws while the other guy was lucky to complete half of his.
    Yea Im pretty sure, considering he is thought of as a top 10 pick and threw for 187 yards in his bowl game and his team lost. By the way, since I actually use my eyes vs the box score, please dont forget that 50 of Geno's yards were on a screen pass where he threw the ball 1 yard, so he really threw for 137.

Also, are we not-counting the multiple drops where syracuse WRs had the ball hit them in the hands?

BTW I hope your info on nassibs performance against rutgers includes 2 fumbles by him, because he threw 2 ints, not 4

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Watch some tape before solely judging him on this snow and WR-drop fueled game
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijet1 View Post
    The kid has thrown over 9000 yds in his college career,he stands tall in the pocket and shows great awareness.
    He played his home games in a DOMED stadium. Do the Jets have a Domed stadium?

I think Nassib will be a worse pro Qb than McElroy.
    Last edited by houyx; 12-30-2012 at 02:44 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Statistics are for losers!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea Im pretty sure, considering he is thought of as a top 10 pick and threw for 187 yards in his bowl game and his team lost. By the way, since I actually use my eyes vs the box score, please dont forget that 50 of Geno's yards were on a screen pass where he threw the ball 1 yard, so he really threw for 137.

Also, are we not-counting the multiple drops where syracuse WRs had the ball hit them in the hands?

BTW I hope your info on nassibs performance against rutgers includes 2 fumbles by him, because he threw 2 ints, not 4
    He did not play well. But sometimes your team runs for 400 yards and sometimes they don't. Nassib was horrendous as well, but this was a typical performance for him. He did manage to fumble against Rutgers. He seemed good at that.

I get that you love Nassib and think he is the next Aaron Rodgers, but you're chasing a dream that does not exist. I don't know what else to tell you. Yes, it sucks being a Jets fan, but don't imagine a bad player is good. Minnesota and Jacksonville did the same when they took Gabbert and Ponder. Chasing that dream does not work out

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    He did not play well. But sometimes your team runs for 400 yards and sometimes they don't. Nassib was horrendous as well, but this was a typical performance for him. He did manage to fumble against Rutgers. He seemed good at that.

I get that you love Nassib and think he is the next Aaron Rodgers, but you're chasing a dream that does not exist. I don't know what else to tell you. Yes, it sucks being a Jets fan, but don't imagine a bad player is good. Minnesota and Jacksonville did the same when they took Gabbert and Ponder. Chasing that dream does not work out
    They took those prospects in the top 15 of the first round. Nassib is no where near projected in the top half or the second round and still shouldn't.

Geno Smith is a garbage prospect expected (or was expected) to go top 5 overall.

The only player someone needs to compare to awful quarterbacks taken in the first round who had no business being selected there is Geno Smith.

Now the West Virginia skill players that padded his stats (Tavon Austin) , those guys deserve to have their draft stocks skyrocket.

You seem to believe out of some insane and unwarranted complex that posters here have suggested that we sell the farm for a prospect like Nassib when most have merely looked at this opportunity and his body of work in a nationally televised bowl game to evaluate his mechanics and other question marks that many scouts have been wanting to see improvement on. Question marks that have solidified the notion that taking Nassib in the first would be a terrible mistake.

Read it. Digest it. And move the hell on already

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    They took those prospects in the top 15 of the first round. Nassib is no where near projected in the top half or the second round and still shouldn't.

Geno Smith is a garbage prospect expected (or was expected) to go top 5 overall.

The only player someone needs to compare to awful quarterbacks taken in the first round who had no business being selected there is Geno Smith.

Now the West Virginia skill players that padded his stats (Tavon Austin) , those guys deserve to have their draft stocks skyrocket.

You seem to believe out of some insane and unwarranted complex that posters here have suggested that we sell the farm for a prospect like Nassib when most have merely looked at this opportunity and his body of work in a nationally televised bowl game to evaluate his mechanics and other question marks that many scouts have been wanting to see improvement on. Question marks that have solidified the notion that taking Nassib in the first would be a terrible mistake.

Read it. Digest it. And move the hell on already
    Thank you....well said!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like both Smith and Nassib and I don't think it is fair to read too much into yesterday's game because of the conditions.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I like both Smith and Nassib and I don't think it is fair to read too much into yesterday's game because of the conditions.
    So evaluating players that will play in these conditions should be tempered because thy were playing in these conditions.

Ok, gotcha.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would go tyler Bray in the third. Franchise skills, immature, inconsistent. Needs a couple of years, WITH GOOD COACHING

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I would go tyler Bray in the third. Franchise skills, immature, inconsistent. Needs a couple of years, WITH GOOD COACHING
    Is there a precedent for a QB coming out with attitude/character concerns that worked out? I feel that is the single most important characteristic a QB can have and also happens to be something that is most difficult to change.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a precedent for a QB coming out with attitude/character concerns that worked out? I feel that is the single most important characteristic a QB can have and also happens to be something that is most difficult to change.
    His issues are not that bad. I work with a guy who is a UT alum and active in their booster program. He is as critical about their program as anyone, and he said Bray's issues are nothing to worry about. Sure, you would prefer to have then, but it was just college kid stuff and when surrounded with NFL coaches and training programs will excel in the NFL. The talent is there which is the important thing. Guys are all over Glennon right now, how about getting a better version of Glennon in the 3rd round?? The value is in the 2nd-3rd round for QBs this year. There is not one of them I would take in the middle of the first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    His issues are not that bad. I work with a guy who is a UT alum and active in their booster program. He is as critical about their program as anyone, and he said Bray's issues are nothing to worry about. Sure, you would prefer to have then, but it was just college kid stuff and when surrounded with NFL coaches and training programs will excel in the NFL. The talent is there which is the important thing. Guys are all over Glennon right now, how about getting a better version of Glennon in the 3rd round?? The value is in the 2nd-3rd round for QBs this year. There is not one of them I would take in the middle of the first.
    Do you feel like barkley is flying so far under the radar that he is becoming a good value.

The people saying "we cant have another USC QB" are ridiculous, because each pick is an independent action, so allowing sanchezs failure to affect a future pick is a mistake.

Now there is a precedent for USC QBs underachieving which is something that absolutely matters, but it seems like barkley is different...4 year starter, didnt have NFL pros on the team at every position, etc.

I just dont see how a guy can be a CERTAIN top 10 pick in 2012 and a second rounder in 2013 based on a year where his oline was terrible.

Plus he has virtually zero character concerns, is a hard worker, and excellent teammate/leader.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you feel like barkley is flying so far under the radar that he is becoming a good value.

The people saying "we cant have another USC QB" are ridiculous, because each pick is an independent action, so allowing sanchezs failure to affect a future pick is a mistake.

Now there is a precedent for USC QBs underachieving which is something that absolutely matters, but it seems like barkley is different...4 year starter, didnt have NFL pros on the team at every position, etc.

I just dont see how a guy can be a CERTAIN top 10 pick in 2012 and a second rounder in 2013 based on a year where his oline was terrible.

Plus he has virtually zero character concerns, is a hard worker, and excellent teammate/leader.
    I am torn on Barkley right now. I do agree he is a vastly different prospect than Sanchez was. His O-line was terrible, so you have to wonder how much that effected him or how much the pressure to win the National Championship ( the reason he went back for his Sr. year) effected him. It would be hard to pass on him in the first if he is sitting there. If he played for UCLA instead of USC, I think there would be more people calling for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    So evaluating players that will play in these conditions should be tempered because thy were playing in these conditions.

Ok, gotcha.
    When was the last time the Jets played in a snow storm? It happens, but not very often. Most passing games take a dip in those conditions, thus Rex's obsession with an "all weather offense".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post

Ok, gotcha.
    Syracuse plays in a dome so it could be conceivable that this was our first look at Nassib out in the inclement weather. It was a pretty so-so day for him. Definitely shouldn't drive his value up from the 2nd/3rd round

Smith, on the other hand, plays outdoors...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear that about Bray. He's got great tools. Im sure if he interviews well, the Jets will strongly consider him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am torn on Barkley right now. I do agree he is a vastly different prospect than Sanchez was. His O-line was terrible, so you have to wonder how much that effected him or how much the pressure to win the National Championship ( the reason he went back for his Sr. year) effected him. It would be hard to pass on him in the first if he is sitting there. If he played for UCLA instead of USC, I think there would be more people calling for him.
    There's still a lot to worry about with Barkley.

Ultimately, in a league that made sense, none of these Quarterbacks should be taken in the first round. From Barkley and Smith to Klein and then rest, they should all, from a value/prospect stand point, be taken an entire round lower than their projection.

This is a really weak Quarterback class, no question about it