Thread: Art Briles for OC

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Art Briles for OC

Art Briles is the HC at Baylor and has a large input in their fast-paced, spread offense. This year he has proved that he was not a product of RG3, producing just as much this year without him. He coaches offense the way that it will be played in the future, an uptempo no-huddle system. He is worth some sort of consideration IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like using the no huddle at times when the defense is on their heels. NE uses it and it causes defenses to wear down and make stupid mistakes. Since they lead the division every year, I'm with you on picking a coach who can innovate and use the no huddle when it suits us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does he know you can pass on 2nd and long? Pass the ball more than 10 yards downfield?

If so, count me in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's certainly worth interviewing.

I'd prefer to go with NFL people for HC and top coaching positions this time around, but what the hell do I know? They need to find someone who knows offense, someone who has experience calling plays -- even if that means in college -- unlike the current OC who has no idea what rhythm means.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not many BCS college Head Coaches would leave for an NFL Coordinator position. I am sure Briles is no different.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Not many BCS college Head Coaches would leave for an NFL Coordinator position. I am sure Briles is no different.
    Briles was surprisingly passed over for big-name vacancies like Auburn and Wisconsin and he is sort of stuck in the mud in the Big 12; Baylor is never going to have the talent to consistently beat Texas, Oklahoma, Ok State, and K-State. He could make the jump for a change of scenery. If we have to make him the HC, I'm fine with that too

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    Briles was surprisingly passed over for big-name vacancies like Auburn and Wisconsin and he is sort of stuck in the mud in the Big 12; Baylor is never going to have the talent to consistently beat Texas, Oklahoma, Ok State, and K-State. He could make the jump for a change of scenery. If we have to make him the HC, I'm fine with that too
    He didn't get passed over, both Arkansas and Tennessee sent out feelers to Briles and he said no thanks and signed an extension with Baylor. If the Jets HC job comes open, and they offer him, then maybe, but he wouldn't do it for OC.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody is an upgrade over the flock of dopes this team has had as OCs for a decade or more

Since Jolly Cholly Weis I think the list is

Dan Henning
    Paul Canthackett
    Brian Schittenheimer
    And Tony Moron-o

I may have missed a loser in there but seriously folks

Art Briles or even Nelson Briles has to be a move upward from this group of bottom dwellers

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets need an NFL guy. Uniquely familiar with the league and the players. Preferably someone from a successful organization.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    When he leaves Waco, it will be for the Texas job.

- Leaving for Wisconsin in the boring B10 would not help him get that job. Ohio State and Michigan are and will be the premier jobs in the b10. Plus, recruiting kids out of the Midwest to play his offense would be hard. Texas high school players - in particular QBs - are better for his system. In Texas, there are great recruits learning the spread beginning in the 8th grade. I am visiting Dallas for the holidays. The schools in this area each have nine coaches for the varsity football teams. The state title game last week drew 48,000+ fans. Believe it or not, that crowd did NOT break the record.

- Auburn is NOT a great job. Auburn fans think that they are a premier program like Bama. They are not. They will always be second to the Tide. With a chip on their shoulder, their fans lash out at the coach and force a firing at the first sign of a problem.

Bottom line, the Baylor job is better than the Wisconsin or Auburn job for him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can hire him and he could be great but it won't mean anything until there is a QB who can get it done. That is priority #! and IMHO that will not be accomplished this off season.