Thread: Foreign Adoptions?

Foreign Adoptions?

So, reading the recent hurf-a-blurf between the Ruskies and the States over Adoptions (i.e. U.S. passes Law over Russian rights violators, Ruskies get vengeance by passing Law banning U.S. adoption of Ruskie kids).

The TLDR Question I have is rather open ended....

....why does the U.S. adopt so many foreign babies, when we have so many homeless and unwanted babies here in America already?

And if the Govt. is going to stomp on freedoms, why not start with banning ALL foreign adoption until and unless we reach a point where we've solved our own domestic unwanted baby/child situation.

Why allow importing of babies when we have babaies who need and deserve love and a loving home, and by the way cost taxpayers their upkeep, here in the States already?

Never quite understood this, either commonly, or when the lolFamous do it (i.e. See Pitt/Jolie).

Jets Insider VIP
    If we promote adoption internally, how are we going to keep the baby-killing industry afloat?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    So, reading the recent hurf-a-blurf between the Ruskies and the States over Adoptions (i.e. U.S. passes Law over Russian rights violators, Ruskies get vengeance by passing Law banning U.S. adoption of Ruskie kids).

....why does the U.S. adopt so many foreign babies, when we have so many homeless and unwanted babies here in America already?

And if the Govt. is going to stomp on freedoms, why not start with banning ALL foreign adoption until and unless we reach a point where we've solved our own domestic unwanted baby/child situation.

Why allow importing of babies when we have babaies who need and deserve love and a loving home, and by the way cost taxpayers their upkeep, here in the States already?

Never quite understood this, either commonly, or when the lolFamous do it (i.e. See Pitt/Jolie).
    http://www.ithaca.edu/faculty/cduncan/230/adoption.htm

I do not know the demographics of U.S. babies up for adoption to U.S. parents.
    However, there have been about 60,000 Russian babies adopted by U.S. parents. I believe the fact they are white and available has a lot to do with parents looking there. I believe (no proof) that white U.S. born children available for adoption are "claimed" immediately and before they are even born.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I do not know the demographics of U.S. babies up for adoption to U.S. parents.
    However, there have been about 60,000 Russian babies adopted by U.S. parents. I believe the fact they are white and available has a lot to do with parents looking there. I believe (no proof) that white U.S. born children available for adoption are "claimed" immediately and before they are even born.
    I think that's definitely part of it, though it seems there are at least as many Asian babies adopted as Russian, if not more, if my kids' schools and in our neighborhood is remotely representative.

To fish's OP, as far as I know, parents have to surrender their parental rights to the children (or be forced to), so to consider a homeless child 'adoptable' is a stretch, I think. Ditto 'unwanted' - depending on your definition - there are certainly those who want the gov't $, and therefore wouldn't put the child up. I think most U.S. parents who want to put their child up for adoption are able to, obviously considering health, age (pretty sure healthy infants get adopted), etc.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Do we? I'd like to see some data to support the claim that Americans generally prefer foreign babies over domestic babies.

Easy.

Because the rooskie mom isnt going to show up later to cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Easy.

Because the rooskie mom isnt going to show up later to cause problems.
    That's part of it, i have two adopted children, they are both from foreign countries. One is white, one is of Hispanic heritage. The laws surrounding domestic adoption in the United States do not favor the adopting parents. It varies state by state, and in some states the birth mother can take a 2 year old baby away from an adopted mother that has raised it since it was weeks old.

Because of terrible goverment regulations, both state and federal it is easier and cheaper to fly thousands of miles and adopt a baby from a foreign country than to adopt one here. And while race may play a role in some adoptions, the above is true in regardless of the race of the child.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Do we? I'd like to see some data to support the claim that Americans generally prefer foreign babies over domestic babies.
    www.google.com

Best of luck.

No one used the word "prefer" by the way.

Every Foreign Adoption is a Domestic Adoption that did not occur.

So the number you'll be searching for are:

1. Total Number of U.S. Children in State Ward or Non-Permanent Foster Care.

vs.

2. Total number of U.S. Foreign Adoptions Per Year

If I had the numbers, I'd provide them. I don't, all I have is what I hear on the radio, which I obviously cannot link here.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's an interesting question but in the end not one that is really relevant. Bottom line is your providing an entirely different life to a kid born into poverty. Do we really need to debate the semantics of it? But if you really insist on it read Axils post. This was my parents thinking when they adopted my sister 15 years ago.
    Last edited by Ruby2; 12-31-2012 at 09:14 AM.

All League
    I'm guessing that it's easier to adopt a foreign baby than one born in the US. I know Sandra Bullock and Charlize Theron recently adopted...I think those kids were born in the US. Maybe the Russian law and celeb adoption awareness will pave the way for more US adoptions.