Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Q's would you ask a potential new GM ?

What Q's would you ask a potential new GM ?

If you're the owner of the team and you're going to hire a new GM what questions would you ask and what are you looking for in a new GM ?

I have one and one alone:

What is your position on Mark Sanchez?

If it's to keep him any further than June 1, said person will not be my GM. If it's to get rid of him at any cost, you will have the job or at least be in the conversation with others, if there are any, who said the same.

We'll go from there.

Can Tim Tebow play QB in the NFL?

Any answer except "no ****ing way!" and you show him the door!

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    If you're the owner of the team and you're going to hire a new GM what questions would you ask and what are you looking for in a new GM ?
    Nice topic, I have not seen this question asked in a forum before.

1. What qualities do you look for in a HC?
    2. Do you believe in getting the Franchise qb first or having the supporting pieces first, even though that may have you picking later.
    3. Who do you think are the best run organizations and why?

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

What do you need from me me to win the Jets a SB in 3 years or less!

Who is your daddy and what does he do?

All Pro
    I think it may be smarter to ask him to look over the organization. Let you know were he thinks we've gone wrong, and give you a preliminary plan for the present and future of the team. If he says he wants to fire Tanny, Sporano, Cavenaugh, and bring in Norv, that wouldn't hurt, but I'd be willing to listen(Not to the firings, but to the choice of OC). I'd say Rex can stay, and keep his staff if he can convince Norv to take the job. Not only is Norv an offensive genius, but he has a lot of ties to great position coaches. He could turn the offense around quickly. We have a very good defense, and are not far removed from an 11-5 season, then an 8-5 start, with back to back AFCCGs, all with a rookie QB who was probably irreversibly retarded. I'd leave the decision of whether he's fixable up to the new GM, and Norv for next year because of Tanny's idiotic extension, but we do not need to blow up the team. We know SOJFs are going to just want to fire everyone, because that is always the solution. Everyone we have sucks, and everyone on every other team is awesome. Then they can start learning to hate the new people.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 12-30-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think it may be smarter to ask him to look over the organization. Let you know were he thinks we've gone wrong, and give you a preliminary plan for the present and future of the team. If he says he wants to fire Tanny, Sporano, Cavenaugh, and bring in Norv, that wouldn't hurt, but I'd be willing to listen(Not to the firings, but to the choice of OC). I'd say Rex can stay, and keep his staff if he can convince Norv to take the job. Not only is Norv an offensive genius, but he has a lot of ties to great position coaches. He could turn the offense around quickly. We have a very good defense, and are not far removed from an 11-5 season, then an 8-5 start, with back to back AFCCGs, all with a rookie QB who was probably irreversibly retarded. I'd leave the decision of whether he's fixable up to the new GM, and Norv for next year because of Tanny's idiotic extension, but we do not need to blow up the team. We know SOJFs are going to just want to fire everyone, because that is always the solution. Everyone we have sucks, and everyone on every other team is awesome. Then they can start learning to hate the new people.
    I like that a lot ! Instead of asking him to "fit in" ask him what he can do to get the organization to be competitive again. Good answer

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Nice topic, I have not seen this question asked in a forum before.

1. What qualities do you look for in a HC?
    2. Do you believe in getting the Franchise qb first or having the supporting pieces first, even though that may have you picking later.
    3. Who do you think are the best run organizations and why?
    Agreed...in the swirling sh!tstorm of stupidity that is the average thread these days this could be a welcome beacon of intelligent discussion.Well done OP

1)tell me why I shouldn't clean house and start over?

2)where are we going wrong?

3)where have we got it right?

4)Is this a 10 win team in 2013 or a 10 loss team in 2013?

5)Can Mark Sanchez be rehabilitated here or has he gone too far down the road and needs a fresh start.....or put another way is it the OC or the QB?
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 12-30-2012 at 09:11 AM.

I would not want a GM that told a HC what his staff should be.

You don't have a very good defense next year.. You don't even know who is going to play defense for your team next year. You don't even know who your D co-od will be.

What you know is that

You have 1 ILB that is a liability in coverage and your other ILB will have his 1st year starting

You know your LDE and RDE and if you like Ellis you have a nose for 50% of the plays.

You have the best pair of corners in the NFL, and a capable #3

You don't know who is going to play both safety slots, what the depth will be on the dline and you don't know who your OLBs are.

Who would you plan on drafting as our potential franchise QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Who would you plan on drafting as our potential franchise QB?
    How is he going to be able to answer that now? He has even interviewed any qbs, no all star games, no combine and no workouts.

Maybe a better question may be please rank the qualities you would look for in a rookie qb.

Banned
    Good idea for a thread topic.

Two main questions I'd ask:

1) Why are you here? And by that I don't mean why you want the position. In your opinion, what are the problems within this organization that have led to me bringing you in for this interview? Please explain in detail.

2) If you are the next GM of the Jets, how do you plan to fix it? Please explain in detail.

The guy who wins the GM spot better have his action plan already mapped out.

So if i were Woody, id ask;

Tell me what kind of football do you see this team playing (are we a passing team, running team, defence first, etc ?), and explain to me just how you would go about to getting this team there? (what players would you keep, dump, and trade)

The guy better be articulate and throrough with his response. Id then ask one last question;

Is Rex Ryan the head coach of your team?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I don't agree much with this. I don't think you can't refer to two season that we squeezed into the playoffs and faced with teams that were sitting players or severely hobbled by injury as hugely successful. No doubt I was pumped those years .. But more out of astonishment of how far we made it. We have not had a New Englandesque season under Ryan yet.

I would ask him to diagnose the eroding talent level of the team since Mangini was shown the door, and how he is going to reverse that trend.

I do like your assessment of Sanchez ... But I would be interested in his qualifications for the teams new starting QB.

I want to know how he is going to change the boys club mentality of the front office ... Specifically the incestual relationship between Woody, Tanny and Rex. Also I would want to know if he would allow the HC card Blanche with regards to player decisions. Specifically ... Would he feel comfortable stepping in when Rex's loyalty gets in the way of common sense ... Siting specifically his insane decisions to stick with Sanchez and Scott until the season was lost.

Rookie
    I'd be less interested in asking questions and more interested in hiring a GM with vision. What it is about teams like The Packers, The Steelers, The Giants that makes them winners decade in and decade out? I want a GM who has a vision for this team and not just a fix. My hope is that we hire the best qualified someone from one of the above teams to come in and begin that for us.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    I'd be less interested in asking questions and more interested in hiring a GM with vision. What it is about teams like The Packers, The Steelers, The Giants that makes them winners decade in and decade out? I want a GM who has a vision for this team and not just a fix. My hope is that we hire the best qualified someone from one of the above teams to come in and begin that for us.
    +1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    I have one and one alone:

What is your position on Mark Sanchez?

If it's to keep him any further than June 1, said person will not be my GM. If it's to get rid of him at any cost, you will have the job or at least be in the conversation with others, if there are any, who said the same.

We'll go from there.
    + a billion

Jets Insider VIP
    What is your football philosophy and approach to building a team? (Tannenbaum had none, his major failing).

How would you bring a Superbowl to this team?