Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam Caplan: List of Potential NFL GM Possibilities

Adam Caplan: List of Potential NFL GM Possibilities

November 26, 2012

At this time of the year, I rarely go a few days without being asked about potential general manager candidates. And if you’re following me on Twitter or have heard me in any recent radio interviews, you might have caught some of the names I’ve mentioned. But because I’m constantly having conversations with NFL executives over the course of the season, that list expands or gets reduced by the information I gather by the week.

With only five weeks left in the regular season, it’s a good time to take an extended look at the best candidates for potential general manger openings, which should start to open up in early January. Heck, one already opened up last month.

In order to get an idea of who the best candidates are, I asked two current NFL general managers, one former NFL general manager, three personnel executives, and three prominent NFL player agents who they thought should be on the list. And I asked each guy to remove friendships, the best they could, and give me their list of the top-five most qualified names.

Here’s the list broken down by the ones most likely to get jobs for 2013 and executives likely to get strong consideration in the future:

Tom Gamble/San Francisco 49ers/Director of Player Personnel: In my 14 years of covering the NFL, I don’t recall getting as many strong comments about a potential GM candidate from high-ranking personnel executives and NFL player agents as I’ve received about Gamble in doing research for this piece. In fact, one NFL GM said my list should start with Gamble for the very fact that he’s about as well-rounded of a candidate as you’ll find.

And when you examine Gamble’s background, you can understand why.

He got started in the NFL at a very young age -- literally right out of college -- with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. His father, Harry, was the president of the team at that time. And the younger Gamble was around football growing up. His father was a long-time coach (pro and college) and then moved on to become an NFL executive late in his career.

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and even has coaching experience (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996) on the NFL side. While Gamble was promoted to his current role nearly two years ago, other teams have also been interested in him in recent years (St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders on more than one occasion).

Now in his 25th NFL season, Gamble has worked for five teams over that time period and has touched just about every possible aspect on the personnel side. He has helped build 10 playoff teams (four with the Eagles, five with the Indianapolis Colts, and one with the 49ers—and very likely another one this season).

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.

“He’s got a complete grounding in the game. He grew up in the game,” Polian explained to me recently about Gamble. “This is exceedingly important when you consider there are a lot of issues that you have to deal with when becoming a general manager that will come up with a team. You’re at a big disadvantage if you don’t have this experience in dealing with everything. That’s why non-football people have a harder time succeeding. Because Tom has so much experience and grew up around the game with his dad, he’s going to be more prepared than most. That’s a huge advantage.”

And it’s that extensive experience which should help Gamble land a GM job for next season.

UPDATED 12/21: Two personnel sources said that Gamble should receive attention from at least three teams for expected GM openings next month.

Eric DeCosta/Baltimore Ravens/Assistant General Manager: The veteran personnel evaluator received his latest promotion in May of this year. DeCosta turned down several interviews with other teams earlier this year because it’s a well-known fact that he’ll eventually take over the entire football operations once (GM and Executive VP) Ozzie Newsome retires.

What makes DeCosta one of the strongest personnel executives is due to his extensive pro and college scouting background, which spans over 16 years. And he has worked alongside of Newsome for many seasons. It also doesn’t hurt that DeCosta has been part of one of the NFL’s most successful scouting departments in regard to the NFL Draft for many years.

Marc Ross/New York Giants/Director of College Scouting: Ross joined the Giants in his current role in 2007. He got started as a college scout back in 1997 with the Philadelphia Eagles and was promoted to team’s college scouting director in 2000, at the age of just 27. And after working as a college scout for the Buffalo Bills after leaving the Eagles, he moved up the ladder again with the Giants. As one former NFL executive who worked with him for many years told me, Ross is one of the most organized and forthright people he’s come across in his years in the league. Ross, over the past few years, has interviewed GM jobs with the Chicago Bears, Indianapolis Colts, and Seattle Seahawks. And it’s widely believed that he’ll get an interview for the vacant Carolina Panthers GM opening since former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi is advising the team in their GM search as a consultant. UPDATE 12/21: Multiple personnel executives said that Ross is Accorsi’s early choice for the job opening. However, Accorsi was still gathering information on other possible candidates for the team to interview, along with Ross, after the season concludes.

Steve Keim/Arizona Cardinals/Vice President of Player Personnel: Keim, who started with the Cardinals in 1999, was promoted to his current role earlier this year after the NFL Draft. He essentially oversees both of the pro and college scouting departments. And Keim, who mostly had scouting experience for several years on the college side, got more involved on the pro side five years ago. One high-level NFC executive with another team said that he expects Keim to get a GM job over the next few years based on his extensive experience in player evaluations. It’s worth noting that Keim interviewed for the Rams GM job earlier this year.

David Caldwell/Director of Player Personnel/Atlanta Falcons: Caldwell, who was promoted to his new role earlier this year where he will oversee the college and pro scouting departments, also interviewed for the Indianapolis Colts GM job earlier this year, which eventually went to Ryan Grigson. While most if not all of his scouting experience came from the college side prior to this season, Caldwell’s name has been brought up to me on several occasions over the past few year as one of the top GM candidates based on his outstanding eye for talent and solid organizational skills. In fact, one current NFL GM said he would put him in the top-5 of best candidates available.

John Dorsey/Director of Football Operations/Green Bay Packers: UPDATE 12/21: One personnel source suggested to me recently that there’s no question that Dorsey is one of the most highly qualified executives not to currently have the GM title attached to his name.

After doing some background checking on Dorsey, that’s pretty much an accurate statement.

The former linebacker for the Packers for six seasons, Dorsey moved to the college scouting side for seven seasons after his playing career was cut short due to injury. He then became the team’s director of college scouting for 15 seasons (left to handle player personnel for the Seattle Seahawks for two seasons, but then returned to the Packers) and was promoted to his current role earlier this season.

While Dorsey’s scouting experience mostly comes from the college side, he still has had exposure to the pro side in recent years. And he has been exposed to contract negotiations over the years, according to a source.

George Paton/Assistant General Manager/Minnesota Vikings: Paton was promoted to his current role earlier this year after receiving strong interest from the St. Louis Rams for their vacant GM job, which eventually went to Les Snead. While most of his scouting experience is from the pro side, he’ll get additional experience on the college going forward based on his new role, which firmly cements him as the No.2 man in the team’s personnel department.

Jason Licht/Arizona Cardinals/Director of Player Personnel: Licht is a rarity these days: He has extensive scouting experience on the pro and college levels from working with five teams over a 12-year period. Plus, he has coaching experience on the NFL level (1996 for the Dolphins as an offensive assistant/quality control coach) albeit brief. Licht also interviewed for the Chicago Bears GM job earlier this year, which eventually went to Phil Emery. In fact, Licht was the runner-up for the job.

Others who have been mentioned as possible GMs for future seasons

Brian Gaine/Miami Dolphins/Assistant General Manager: Gaine, now in his 15th year in the NFL and fifth with the Dolphins, was promoted to his current role with the team back in June of this year. While his scouting background mainly has come from the pro side (previously with the Jets and Cowboys), the veteran personnel evaluator ramped up his evaluations of college players in recent years based on his recent promotions. His name has come up a bit in conversations over the last few years with various NFL executives as a future GM. And he interviewed for the Rams GM job earlier this year.

Tom Telesco/Indianapolis Colts/Vice President of Football Operations: He was promoted to his current role earlier this year and has spent 14 years with the Colts, which puts him second in command in the personnel department. And Telesco has extensive pro and college scouting experience going back nearly 17 years. One personnel source who worked with him in the past said he could definitely see Telesco becoming a GM in the future based in his solid scouting and organizational skills.

Doug Whaley/Buffalo Bills/Assistant General Manager+Director of Pro Personnel: Because of his dual role he received when he joined the Bills in 2010, Whaley is basically second in command on the personnel side for the Bills. And he has plenty of experience with pro and college scouting (with the Bills, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Seattle Seahawks), which is a major plus for any prospective general manager candidate. While it’s assumed that he’ll eventually replace GM Buddy Nix when Nix decides to retire, it still wouldn’t be surprising to see other teams show interest in Whaley going forward.

Tag Ribary/Seattle Seahawks/Director of Pro Personnel: Ribary was promoted to his current role two years after working with the Seahawks in various capacities on the pro scouting side. He also had pro scouting experience with the Washington Redskins and Carolina Panthers. While he doesn’t have extensive college scouting background that some other candidates have, Ribary’s long tenure spanning over two decades in the NFL makes him a well-known and qualified candidate.

Chris Ballard/Director of Pro Scouting/Chicago Bears: One other NFC team, according to a source, wanted to interview him for a personnel job earlier this year, but the Bears denied that team permission to talk to him, which shows how highly the Bears think of him. And Ballard, who had college coaching experience for many years before joining the Bears 12 years ago, got promoted to his current role back in June. Prior to his promotion, Ballard worked as a college scout, but he oversees the pro scouting side these days, so he now has exposure to all facets of NFL scouting.

Matt Russell/Denver Broncos/Director of Player Personnel: The veteran talent evaluator has 12 years of extensive scouting work with the Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots, and Broncos. And Russell has widely been given credit for discovering QB Matt Cassel back during his time with the Patriots. Russell’s scouting background was on the college side prior to this season, but his latest promotion from earlier this year should help him get a stronger handle on the pro side.

Scott Cohen/Assistant General Manager/New York Jets: The veteran personnel evaluator began his 21st season in the NFL earlier this year. Cohen has extensive pro and college scouting experience over his 20+ seasons in the league with the Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Washington Redskins. His experience from scouting pro and college levels as well as being exposed to contract negotiations over the years should help him garner attention from teams looking for a general manager going forward.

Alonzo Highsmith/Senior Personnel Executive/Green Bay Packers: The former NFL running back joined the Packers as a college scout in 1999. He was targeted at least twice by other teams in recent years for upper level management jobs (non-GM role), but the Packers blocked him from interviewing, which is obviously an indication how strongly they want to keep him. And the Packers, recognizing his solid player evaluation skills, promoted him to his current role earlier this year. Highsmith, who has been largely recognized for discovering CB Tramon Williams, won a scouting award in recent years.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...neral-managers

About Adam Caplan
    Adam Caplan is a Philadelphia based reporter, who is in his 12th season of covering the NFL on a national basis.

While specializing on contracts, personnel and other pertinent information, Caplan also is one of the foremost authorities on NFL injuries.
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-30-2012 at 10:03 AM.

I like Caldwell from the Falcons the more I read about him. Spent 10 seasons with the Colts before the past 5 in ATL. Two good spots and lots of excellent football minds to learn from there.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I like Caldwell from the Falcons the more I read about him. Spent 10 seasons with the Colts before the past 5 in ATL. Two good spots and lots of excellent football minds to learn from there.
    I would like to avoid anyone from Indy, NO, NE, or GB. I am not sure how much of their "genius" is attributed to having a legendary QB.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I would like to avoid anyone from Indy, NO, NE, or GB. I am not sure how much of their "genius" is attributed to having a legendary QB.
    that's true, but I think the Colts and now Falcons had some solid teams overall.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    that's true, but I think the Colts and now Falcons had some solid teams overall.
    When I first saw Caldwell, I thought they were talking about Jim Caldwell. LOL.

The Falcons are interesting but they haven't built a tough team. They drafted a great QB and WR and have done well in FA. I think they are going to become a hot bed for HC and FO candidates bc of the success they have had.

All Pro
    i like gamble and dorsey

UPDATED 12/21: Two personnel sources said that Gamble should receive attention from at least three teams for expected GM openings next month.

Eric DeCosta/Baltimore Ravens/Assistant General Manager: The veteran personnel evaluator received his latest promotion in May of this year. DeCosta turned down several interviews with other teams earlier this year because it’s a well-known fact that he’ll eventually take over the entire football operations once (GM and Executive VP) Ozzie Newsome retires.

What makes DeCosta one of the strongest personnel executives is due to his extensive pro and college scouting background, which spans over 16 years. And he has worked alongside of Newsome for many seasons. It also doesn’t hurt that DeCosta has been part of one of the NFL’s most successful scouting departments in regard to the NFL Draft for many years.
    So I've seen many on here approve of DeCosta, but rudely disapprove of Clinkscales. Yet, they both seem to have similar resumes and strengths in their background, so why are so many against a possible Clinkscales hire?
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 12-30-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Without Brady, the Patriots are an extremely average team. Anybody who promotes their roster other than the obvious key players, Gronk, Wilfork, and Hernandez doesn't know football.

The Pats on defense have been one of the worst in the league for years, and without Brady slinging it, and keeping defenses off balance, their are even offensive players that are average players but are pimped by fans because of Brady.

Gamble is the guy we need.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    So I've seen many on here approve of DeCosta, but rudely disapprove of Clinkscales. Yet, they both seem to have similar resumes and strengths in their background, so why are so many against a possible Clinkscales hire?
    He was here already. And Tanny gives his minions a lot of say when it comes to talent evaluation bc that is not his background. So it is reasonable to believe we have seen a good sample of what Clinkscales is capable of. Not to mention there were rumblings he was not happy with the drafts and Rex's control per Fatty (I know you think he is a media devil). So who is to say he wants to work with him. And he is currently working for his close friend.

DeCosta would be a dream hire for the Jets. But he is firmly entrenched in BAL and is slated to be their next GM. It will take an incredible investment to pry him away from them. And I would think he would want to hire his own coach and staff. Keep in mind he is Newsome's right hand man and they passed over Rex for a ST coach from another team.

We are not going to get a top-tier candidate if Woody is going to force some staff on them. That is why this re-assignment talk of Tanny is disheartening before we even get new GM. The new GM should be able to decide his fate and if they want him then that is fine.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    because clinkscales will be a yes man for tanny and rexy and that is it..........he will prob hold no real power and we will be stuck with the same cicrcus this year including suckchez as QB.

we need a good old-fashioned gunslinger that comes to town and cleans freaking house...........tanny gone, rexxy gone. sparno gone, sutton gone, suckchez gone, holmes gone, scott gone, pace gone, meavis gone, depending on the new coach and gm tebow gone............etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    because clinkscales will be a yes man for tanny and rexy and that is it..........he will prob hold no real power and we will be stuck with the same cicrcus this year including suckchez as QB.

we need a good old-fashioned gunslinger that comes to town and cleans freaking house...........tanny gone, rexxy gone. sparno gone, sutton gone, suckchez gone, holmes gone, scott gone, pace gone, meavis gone, depending on the new coach and gm tebow gone............etc etc etc
    What ? No Cavanaugh gone ??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post

You forgot a few key ones

Ucrenegade gone daballhawk gone jaxsuzy gone demosthenes9 gone vtvinnie gone

The whole cult gone

Hallelujah..Praise Jeeezus

That is true for Indy and NE, not GB. That team has talented players who contribute on both sides of the ball not only at the QB position.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    What ? No Cavanaugh gone ??
    which is why i put in etc etc I knew their would be some i would be forgetting but year cavanaugh gone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    You forgot a few key ones

Ucrenegade gone daballhawk gone jaxsuzy gone demosthenes9 gone vtvinnie gone

The whole cult gone

Hallelujah..Praise Jeeezus
    not happening you fail to grasp basic concepts let me try slowly for you...........

we are fans of the team and just because we root for a player of said team does not mean we only like one player

we just like tebow over suckchez i don't understand why that whole concept is to hard for you to grasp.

I also like cromartie over revis am I in a cromartie cult now.......

From KC paper for their GM search

Here’s a look at three candidates, though there certainly may be others:

John Dorsey
    Dorsey, 52, has worked under some of the game’s top general managers, including Ron Wolf, who built the Packers’ 1996 and 1997 Super Bowl teams, and current general manager Ted Thompson.

Despite picking low in the draft in recent years, the Packers have come up with first-round picks such as MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers, linebacker Clay Matthews and nose tackle B.J. Raji, who have been key members of a Super Bowl championship team and back-to-back NFC North championships.

And their second-round picks have included productive players in wide receivers Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson of K-State and Randall Cobb.

“The structure of the organization, in terms of drafting philosophy and how they put together a staff is very professional,” said former Chiefs quarterback Rich Gannon, who broadcasts the Packers’ preseason games.

“They’re very selective when it comes to free agency. They’re not going to go out and throw a lot of money … they’re going to scour the draft and do a good job, not just on day one, but day two, they’re very good, and even when that wraps up, they’ve had a lot of success with college free agency.

If you study them, they do a good job developing players on the practice squad.”

Indeed, the Packers unleashed running back running back DuJuan Harris from the practice squad on Dec. 1, and he carried 34 times for 157 yards and two touchdowns in the regular-season finale at Minnesota and scored the first touchdown in Green Bay’s first-round playoff win against the Vikings last week.

Dorsey, who also played linebacker for the Packers during 1984-88, is expected to be a candidate for the vacant New York Jets general manager job, but the Chiefs could have one advantage. Dorsey’s wife, Patricia A. Sexton-Dorsey, is an attorney with the Kansas City-based law firm Polsinelli-Shughart, although she works out of their De Pere, Wis., home.

She has her bachelor’s degree from Kansas and law degree from Washburn University in Topeka.

Tom Heckert
    Heckert, 45, was hired as Cleveland’s general manager in 2010 after a successful run both in Philadelphia and for 10 years in Miami’s personnel department. Before Heckert arrived in Cleveland, he had experienced just one losing season in 19 years as an NFL executive.

But he never got the chance to see through a rebuilding job in Cleveland, though he upgraded the talent level by stockpiling players by trading down in the first round of the 2011 and 2012 drafts, netting two first-round picks and two second-round picks in 2011 and three first-round picks in 2012.

Once owner Randy Lerner sold the team to Jimmy Haslem at midseason and Mike Holmgren resigned as president, Heckert was let go, and coach Pat Shurmur was fired at the end of the season after just two seasons.

“Heckert turned the roster over and took an old , slow team and made it young and talented,” said former Browns Pro Bowl offensive tackle Doug Dieken, now the club’s radio analyst. “You couldn’t draft experience, and that’s something the team lacked. He did a great job. As far as the upside of the players, there’s a good nucleus of people he put on this roster.

“The other part of the equation people don’t understand is he was kind of handcuffed in regards to free agency. Randy Lerner was trying to sell the team, and he was taking some hits in England with his soccer team, and he was only able to go for some of the lower-end free agents as opposed to really getting your feet wet.”

Heckert could be joined in Kansas City by Shurmur, who spent 10 seasons with the Eagles, where he was Donovan McNabb’s quarterbacks coach from 2002-08; or former Philadelphia and Cleveland offensive coordinator Brad Childress. Both are candidates for the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator position.

“Pat got a bad deal,” Dieken said of the last two years in Cleveland. “The first year, he gets a lockout, and this year, he gets a new owner, and in the meantime, the CBA makes it so you can only practice so many days in training camp, and with a young team, that kind of hurts you.

“If they had gotten one more year, the two of them, I think they would have had something going.”

Tom Gamble
    Gamble, 47, also could be a candidate with the Jets. He has an extensive resume, which includes work in both college and football personnel, contract negotiations and the coaching ranks. He grew up in a football family as his father, Harry, was a head coach at Penn and Lafayette College, worked on Dick Vermeil’s Eagles staff in the late 1970s and eventually became general manager of the club.

Tom Gamble has worked in the scouting and personnel departments of 12 playoff teams — five with Indianapolis, five with Philadelphia and the last two in San Francisco. Working with general manager Trent Baalke, Gamble oversees both the college and professional personnel departments of the 49ers.

This season, nine 49ers were voted to the Pro Bowl, and seven were draft picks, including first-round picks Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis and Joe Staley. It doesn’t include quarterback Colin Kapernick, a second-round pick in 2011 who seized the starting job from Alex Smith, a former No. 1 overall pick.

Jim Popp
    Vice President, General Manager,
    Director of Football Operations
    Director of Player Personnel

2011 - Now in his 16th season as the Alouettes’ General Manager, Jim Popp has built the team into the CFL’s most successful franchise of the last decade. With three Grey Cup victories since 2000, he has been recognized as one of the best general managers in the CFL. The rare ability to build expansion teams and help turn around established franchises into winning organizations is what makes Popp so special.

His accomplishments are nonetheless already impressive holding the best overall record of any CFL general manager in the last 16 years leading the Alouettes to five consecutive seasons of 12 or more victories (1996-2000), becoming one of only three teams in CFL history to accomplish that feat. Of the three CFL coaches ever to win back-to-back Coach of the Year honours, two did so working under him (Don Matthews 1994-1995 and Charlie Taaffe 1999-2000).

Over the past 19 years in the CFL (two years with Saskatchewan, two with Baltimore, and 15 with Montreal), all of his teams have made it into the playoffs every year, appearing in 15 division championships and 10 Grey Cups, winning four championships. Under Popp, the Als have reached the East Division Championship in every season except 2001 and 2007, and have been to eight Grey Cups, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 (as head coach), 2008, 2009 and 2010 winning in ’02, ’09 and ‘10.

Before joining the Alouettes, he served as the assistant General Manager and director of player personnel in 1994-95 with the Baltimore Stallions. In 1995, the Stallions established a league record for wins in a season with a combined 18-3 record, including the season, playoffs and Grey Cup. The Stallions won their last 13 games and remain the only American team to have won the Grey Cup. The ‘95 Stallions team had a total of 14 players go on to sign NFL contracts and surprised no one by winning the championship. The 1994 Stallions have the distinction of being the most successful expansion franchise, going 12-6-0, winning the East Division Championship, and appearing in the Grey Cup.

Popp was the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ director of player personnel and wide receivers coach under Matthews in 1992-93. The Roughriders had two successful seasons while he was with the club, appearing in the playoffs both years. In those two years of building the Roughriders, Saskatchewan enjoyed their best records for 15 years until their recent success.

Before coming to the CFL, he helped form the Professional Spring Football League in 1992, in which he served as the league’s director of player personnel and worked and resided with former NFL Coach Walt Michaels. In 1991, he served as the wide receivers, special teams, and strength and conditioning coach for the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks of the World League (later known as NFL Europa) under NFL great, Roman Gabriel.

He coached at the collegiate level for five seasons having evolved with the Citadel (1988-90) under Charlie Taaffe; North Carolina (1987) under Dick Crum; and Michigan State (1986) under George Perles. He played college football for three seasons at Michigan State (1983-85) under Perles, as a wide receiver and defensive back. His position coaches at Michigan State were Nick Saban (head coach at University of Alabama and former head coach of the Miami Dolphins) and Charlie Baggett (former assistant head coach of the Miami Dolphins and now an assistant coach with the St. Louis Rams). Born December 21, 1964 in Elkin, North Carolina, Popp is married to Kimberly Hamilton Popp. They have six children, all born in Montreal: three girls; twins Hannah and Hayley, and Ella-Rae; and three boys; Preston, Hudson, and Payton-James. His family lives in Mooresville, North Carolina, but they also spend some time in Montreal.

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/page/jim-popp

Why do people worship Bill Polian when the guy had complete **** around Peyton Manning for so many years?

Still confuses me.

Give me Dorsey or Gamble.