Thread: If you're Woody Johnson right now, who is your counsel? Your advisor?

Jets Insider VIP

If you're Woody Johnson right now, who is your counsel? Your advisor?

I am kinda picturing Woody as a man alone on an island as he contemplates the future direction of the team and organization. For just about every year since he bought the team, I think he has leaned on Tannenbaum to a large degree about coaching decisions, directions the team should take with certain players, etc. but now Tannenbaum is likely one of the guys about to be shown the door (or demoted if you believe that's a realistic option). It was Tanny who was at Woody's side as the organization transitioned from Herm to Mangini to Rex.

So, who does Woody confer with now about the football-related decisions to be made? Who does he lean on as he contemplates hiring a new GM, thinks about whether to retain the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, etc? Who is pointing Woody towards strong possible GM candidates....or is he going it alone?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I am kinda picturing Woody as a man alone on an island as he contemplates the future direction of the team and organization. For just about every year since he bought the team, I think he has leaned on Tannenbaum to a large degree about coaching decisions, directions the team should take with certain players, etc. but now Tannenbaum is likely one of the guys about to be shown the door (or demoted if you believe that's a realistic option). It was Tanny who was at Woody's side as the organization transitioned from Herm to Mangini to Rex.

So, who does Woody confer with now about the football-related decisions to be made? Who does he lean on as he contemplates hiring a new GM, thinks about whether to retain the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, etc? Who is pointing Woody towards strong possible GM candidates....or is he going it alone?
    John Mara and Steve Tisch. And they are laughing at him behind his back.

I don't really think it matters. Woody just wants to make sure his team keeps getting talked about daily in the media. To him, that's the equivalent of winning games. He may hire a new front office and staff, but he'll find a way to keep the Jets being the center of attention. Different soap opera but new actors. I have absolutely zero faith in this owner on learning from past mistakes and doing what's right for the organization and fans. I hope I'm dead wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I don't really think it matters. Woody just wants to make sure his team keeps getting talked about daily in the media. To him, that's the equivalent of winning games. He may hire a new front office and staff, but he'll find a way to keep the Jets being the center of attention. Different soap opera but new actors. I have absolutely zero faith in this owner on learning from past mistakes and doing what's right for the organization and fans. I hope I'm dead wrong though.
    I don't know that I agree with this, though. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he isn't competitive. I bet he wants to have a winning team - a team that makes it to the Superbowl at some point before he dies. I've compared football teams to racehorses before - I'm sure Woody wants to win a Superbowl just as badly as horse owners want to win the Kentucky Derby or the Triple Crown. Have you seen those superbowl rings? Yummy. And the bragging rights that go along with it. I know I would.

I'm curious to know who advises Woody, too. If it really was Tanny all this time, then Woody must feel lost right now. He might latch on to Rex Ryan as his guru advisor, and that would suck. Would other owners be of reliable assistance? I don't know. I'm trying to think of what I would do if I was Woody. I'd want to at least hire a consultant to help me identify good coaching and GM candidates. I can't just look in the phone book for one, so I'd start thinking of retired NFL coaches who were winners in the league for a long time. I could hire one as a consultant to help me locate reliable, honest and good coaches.

I know it's not popular, but I would fire Ryan, Sparano, Tanny and Cavanaugh. I know y'all like Rex because he's a friendly, loud, smashmouth braggart, but I think he's toxic and a liar. I'm also tired of Rex getting all the credit for the defense instead of Pettine. If Rex has spent the past 4 years micromanaging the defense instead of learning how to be a head coach, he needs to go.

Maybe it's time to re-hire a former Jets Head Coach who didn't get 4 years to learn the job. Maybe that HC was responsible for the talent on the team that Rex inherited in 2009 and 2010. If I was Woody, I'd certainly be wondering about that.
    Last edited by JaxSuzy; 12-29-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Waiting for the axe to fall on me for this post

Woody reads JI for all the great advice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe Itsaprocess will become the new HC of your Jaguars and you can get to watch both he and Teblow make them even worse in 2013

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

PSL holders.

This thread exemplifies exactly why the Jets have so little direction, the answer is NO ONE.

Woody doesnt have the rolodex that lonttime owners have, nor does he have a "father figure' in the league to offer guidance. In fact, he has never actually run a business on his own (his grandfather did not allow him to be part of J&J leadership), so he has very little experience with anything that can be used in this situation.

I believe Neil Glat will have quite a say in this situation, but he is a business man first (Harvard Law) who was hired away from the NFL office to help with the sale of luxury boxes/stadium issues.

I do know the Jets are working with an Executive Search firm but who knows how well schooled the Firm is in finding NFL GMs

Key person - Neil Glat, Jets President

He was an executive of the NFL office before Woody hired him as President of the Jets.

I guarantee he is playing a key role in the decision making process.

To me it's simple. Based strictly on won/loss record over the past 4 seasons you can make an strong argument that the Tanny/Rex combo deserve one more season providing they bring on a strong OC (along the lines of Norv Turner).

However, Woody is taking a tremendous beating in the media where the Jets are now virtually a laughing stock. I would not be surprised if Woody makes a decision to clean house. Neil Glat, IMO, is playing a major role in the course of action Woody decides to take.

Actually Woody has been consulting with me. We are on the phone daily. I told him what needs to be done-clean house. Lets see if he has the integrity to do it

Jets Insider VIP
    Woody will contact sg3 for all his keen insight and knowledge about how to make the Jets better. First he will pay for sg3 and Tebow to a vacation together!

Veteran
    If he had a Sicilian... a war-time consigliere he wouldn't be in the situation!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Most likely the mailroom kid at J&J's R&D plant over in Morris Plains.

RayRay, for sure.

Pay Fireman Ed to return, sign Sanchez up for another five-years and give Wrecks a five-year extension, too.

12-4, baby.

All League
    I'm not sure he needs any counsel. He's owned this team for 12 years. He's seen enough to know a good organization and compare that to what he has. It's not difficult to contact key people from these good organizations and. Ring them in for a discussion.

When they were interviewing for HCs in 2009, they actively listened to the candidates articulate how they would approach the team, what philosophies, even talked personnel.

Why would this be any different?

Don Banks had a piece in SI about what KC, Jax, and Cle were doing and it was so easy. They are interviewing Gamble, Ross, and a front office exec from Atlanta (his name escapes me at the moment).

It's not brain surgery. I bet we can go back a month and find dozens of threads where these same names were mentioned as potential great hires.

Now we get to look at three teams that are presently terrible and are making the moves to give them the best chance of improving, long term. How come we cannot do the same?

Jets Insider VIP
    So the answer is an executive search firm???

Hope they find a smart football guy with financial acumen....and not the future CEO of a band-aid empire!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Most likely the mailroom kid at J&J's R&D plant over in Morris Plains.
    Woody has more to do with the Devils than J&J.

How're the Devils doing this year?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Woody has more to do with the Devils than J&J.

How're the Devils doing this year?
    Just fine, another cup in a few years would be fun, but I'm not greedy.

Mitt Romney