Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets hire firm for GM search

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One of my fav bands and singers.
    Big fan of both.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Korn Ferry is a top recruiting firm. The law firm I work for uses them to recruit for very senior positions in all of our offices -- worldwide.
    Interesting maybe a lawyer would make an excellent GM?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Korn Ferry is a top recruiting firm. The law firm I work for uses them to recruit for very senior positions in all of our offices -- worldwide.
    I was recruited and hired through their firm for a role I recently held. Solid firm with ties to a lot of CEO's etc.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Interesting maybe a lawyer would make an excellent GM?
    LOL.

If they hired the likes of you guys they must be very poor indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    The NFL used Korn Ferry to find and hire Roger Goodell. They are good at finding lawyers and accountants. Not so much at finding people who can judge and evaluate professional football talent.
    And you know this how? Just asking

Not sure how anyone can find this bad news. Would you guys just want Woody to make a decision based on his "football knowledge"?

That is kind of funny, and I also wonder if this is normal in the NFL.

It certainly is normal in the giant company where I work. What is our cloud strategy? Hire a partner to give us a few $300/hr resources to help us define it. Cool hair, awesome shirts, $1000 eyeglass frames, a thousand meetings and some unbelievable slides....boom - we got us a strategy in 6 weeks!

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Hiring a firm to hire a gm? What other team does sh!t like this?
    It's crazy.

Maybe they'll hire someone from a marketing firm, let him learn on the job. Maybe someone from Kellogg's. You know, picking players not much different than picking a breakfast cereal.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 12-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.

This sounds better than WJ calling Parcells and asking him who he should hire.

All Pro
    The NFL used Korn Ferry to find and hire Roger Goodell. They are good at finding lawyers and accountants. Not so much at finding people who can judge and evaluate professional football talent.

Oh, go eat the korn out of a ferry, Emmanuel

I used to work in that industry.

No knock on the firm, I just find the Jets decision to use them to find a GM a bit curious as it is not really within their area of expertise. There really isn't a recruiting firm that has any level of expertise in this area, it's too specialized a niche for a big firm like that to commit a lot of resources to.

I would think a better approach would be to find someone who has been around the NFL for a long time and pay that person as a consultant to aid in your search.
    Didn't the report state there is a sports industry division? And I would guess between this firm and the Jets Prez Neil Glat, who recently came from the NFL Office, they can compile a list if candidates.

Jets Insider VIP
    I am not quite sold on this approach at all!!!!

Yes I want an unbiased view, a person with objectivity to help Woody.

However I was recruited by several top recruiting firms for several law firms because I worked at places like White & Case and Winston & Strawn etc. before becoming a teacher.

The idea that because a firm is good at locating legal talent, that they will be equally good at identifying a suitable sports GM, is counterintuitive at best.

The skill sets for the two types of searches while somewhat overlapping do not lend themselves to a one to one correspondence. IMO it just shows where the Jets are as an organization.

And to those who say other teams do it all the time. Who did it? Oakland, the Colts, Dallas, the Giants, the Pats, Green Bay, the Steelers who exactly used a legal search firm to identify an appropriate GM

It may have happened but I would like to know which currently successful NFL team has used this as their primary search method. Just a thought….

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

There is some football experience here:

ED HUGHES
    Vice Chairman
    Global Sector Leader, Sports
    Consumer
    New York
    Mr. Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing, and developing leaders. His relationships within sports and intercollegiate athletics are extensive, having spent twenty years coaching in professional and intercollegiate football and working for five Hall of Fame coaches.

As the leader of Walter V. Clark, a behavioral assessment company, Mr. Hughes re-energized the company with new products, research and software. He led the development of psychological testing, competency development and structural behavioral interviewing for the Super Bowl San Francisco 49ers and Green Bay Packers. While at Walter V. Clark, Mr. Hughes coached some of the top business executives at GE, R.R. Donnelly, H.J. Heinz, and PNC Bank in leadership.

From Wiki:

During his long and successful career, Jed Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing and developing leaders. His relationships in professional and intercollegiate sports are extensive, as he spent 20 years coaching for five Hall of Fame coaches: Bo Schembechler (Michigan), Chuck Noll (Pittsburgh Steelers), Bud Grant (Minnesota Vikings), John Ralston (Stanford), and Terry Donahue (UCLA). As defensive coordinator at UCLA, Jed was recognized as the top recruiter in the U.S. for three years, and 75% of the Bruins' 1982 Rose Bowl starters were his recruits.
    In 2012, Jed joined Korn/Ferry from Spencer Stuart, where he led the Sports Practice for over a decade. Among his high profile placements are Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby; Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott; USOC chief Scott Blackmun; New York Jets President Neil Glat; SMU Athletic Director Rick Hart, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy; and University of Michigan head coach Brady Hoke.

He has led C-level and board searches for the Big 12 and Pac-12 Conferences, U.S. Olympic Committee, Arsenal FC, Liverpool FC, LPGA, ATP Tour, PGA of America, and Women’s Tennis Association; athletic director searches for the University of Michigan, Michigan State, SMU, Syracuse and the University of Virginia, He also has filled head coaching positions for the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, University of Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State football, as well as University of Oregon basketball.

Jets Insider VIP
    I used to work in that industry.

No knock on the firm, I just find the Jets decision to use them to find a GM a bit curious as it is not really within their area of expertise. There really isn't a recruiting firm that has any level of expertise in this area, it's too specialized a niche for a big firm like that to commit a lot of resources to.

I would think a better approach would be to find someone who has been around the NFL for a long time and pay that person as a consultant to aid in your search.
    Hmmmm this was my point in my post before I saw your better comment...

Thanks ......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    There is some football experience here:

ED HUGHES
    Vice Chairman
    Global Sector Leader, Sports
    Consumer
    New York
    Mr. Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing, and developing leaders. His relationships within sports and intercollegiate athletics are extensive, having spent twenty years coaching in professional and intercollegiate football and working for five Hall of Fame coaches.

As the leader of Walter V. Clark, a behavioral assessment company, Mr. Hughes re-energized the company with new products, research and software. He led the development of psychological testing, competency development and structural behavioral interviewing for the Super Bowl San Francisco 49ers and Green Bay Packers. While at Walter V. Clark, Mr. Hughes coached some of the top business executives at GE, R.R. Donnelly, H.J. Heinz, and PNC Bank in leadership.

From Wiki:

During his long and successful career, Jed Hughes has distinguished himself as an expert in identifying, assessing and developing leaders. His relationships in professional and intercollegiate sports are extensive, as he spent 20 years coaching for five Hall of Fame coaches: Bo Schembechler (Michigan), Chuck Noll (Pittsburgh Steelers), Bud Grant (Minnesota Vikings), John Ralston (Stanford), and Terry Donahue (UCLA). As defensive coordinator at UCLA, Jed was recognized as the top recruiter in the U.S. for three years, and 75% of the Bruins' 1982 Rose Bowl starters were his recruits.
    In 2012, Jed joined Korn/Ferry from Spencer Stuart, where he led the Sports Practice for over a decade. Among his high profile placements are Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby; Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott; USOC chief Scott Blackmun; New York Jets President Neil Glat; SMU Athletic Director Rick Hart, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy; and University of Michigan head coach Brady Hoke.

He has led C-level and board searches for the Big 12 and Pac-12 Conferences, U.S. Olympic Committee, Arsenal FC, Liverpool FC, LPGA, ATP Tour, PGA of America, and Women’s Tennis Association; athletic director searches for the University of Michigan, Michigan State, SMU, Syracuse and the University of Virginia, He also has filled head coaching positions for the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, University of Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State football, as well as University of Oregon basketball.
    I guess this answers some of the questions for some of the people whining on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I guess this answers some of the questions for some of the people whining on here.
    Oh there will still be whining over this. Count on it.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko097 View Post
    This is great news. This org needs an unbiased and professional process here. Better than woody just listening to the media or with those already in the org who probably have their own agendas.

A big step for Woody IMO
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Hiring a firm to hire a gm? What other team does sh!t like this?
    LOL, Jets could hire Polian as GM, bring in Belichik as our HC, bring in Rodgers to be our QB and you would complain.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I am not quite sold on this approach at all!!!!

Yes I want an unbiased view, a person with objectivity to help Woody.

However I was recruited by several top recruiting firms for several law firms because I worked at places like White & Case and Winston & Strawn etc. before becoming a teacher.

The idea that because a firm is good at locating legal talent, that they will be equally good at identifying a suitable sports GM, is counterintuitive at best.

The skill sets for the two types of searches while somewhat overlapping do not lend themselves to a one to one correspondence. IMO it just shows where the Jets are as an organization.

And to those who say other teams do it all the time. Who did it? Oakland, the Colts, Dallas, the Giants, the Pats, Green Bay, the Steelers who exactly used a legal search firm to identify an appropriate GM

It may have happened but I would like to know which currently successful NFL team has used this as their primary search method. Just a thought….
    Its quite common in the NFL...and they aren't a LEGAL search firm at all.

You are getting more and more like your UFT pal with every.post.