Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: and with the #9 pick the NY Jets select...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Doug Martin says hi.
    OK...you draft at the small school, I'll draft at the big school.

all else equal, My choices will be better.

But Tanny knows better than the rest of the GMs. Look around the league... Small schools are not represented in a manner like our 2010 draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Temple has any other Wilkerson's, draft him at 9.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    If Temple has any other Wilkerson's, draft him at 9.
    If Jackson State has any Payton's.....sign me up.

there's a reason these schools don't attract draft attention year in year out.

There is always an exception....but Tanny acts like he knows better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We tied with the Bills and Titans at 6-10.

SOS determines the order.

We pick anywhere from 8-10 depending on SOS.

Has anyone found confirmation of our exact spot?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    OK...you draft at the small school, I'll draft at the big school.

all else equal, My choices will be better.

But Tanny knows better than the rest of the GMs. Look around the league... Small schools are not represented in a manner like our 2010 draft.
    I'll take Jerry Rice, Ben Roethlisberger and Sam Mills (who happened to go to my school, Montclair State), thank you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I'll take Jerry Rice, Ben Roethlisberger and Sam Mills (who happened to go to my school, Montclair State), thank you.
    me too....the exceptions are always great.

but they are exceptions......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    me too....the exceptions are always great.

but they are exceptions......
    And big schools have plenty of busts

Sanchez - USC

Gholston - Ohio St.

Maybin - Penn St.

and the list is endless

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez - USC

Gholston - Ohio St.

Maybin - Penn St.

and the list is endless
    And because they are usually taken higher, the big schools probably have more busts than the small schools.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always exceptions..... Mo is BY FAR the highest pick ever from Temple since I believe the 80s.

I like him...we don't draft as well as teams that win.
    I guess I wouldn't put that in the negative ledger was my point. I agree that the high risk nature of more recent drafts (from a school perspective) has led to this demise we are experiencing. So in other words we agree in our draft philosophy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez - USC

Gholston - Ohio St.

Maybin - Penn St.

and the list is endless
    No question...but drafting requires morenthan speculation. It should be hard work and if you look at Money ball, things CAN be done to help your chances. If you look at the NFL draft, year by year, large schools dominate. So why would the JETS draft NOT at least look like the template?

There were plenty of ignored warning signs on both Gholsten and Sanchez. we ignored the lack of work ethic on Ghost and the lack of experience on both. Ghost took up football in high school.

better homework and conviction to process possibly limit the selection of some busts although we all make them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would be worth taking a chance on Geno Smith and then taking another QB who slips to rd. 3 or 4...

Much like what the Redskins did last year...

Regarding Smith -

He can make all the NFL throws... Has uncanny accuracy, can read defenses, has "it", and is a stellar athlete.

The poor bowl game was a good thing as he might now slip out of the top 5.

He had a terrible defense and a below average offensive line.

I think he's got RG3 type of ability... I'll go one better, he's actually got more natural talent as a pure thrower, just a bit less polished...

I also like Glennon quite a bit as he has a great arm, but don't know where (what rd) he goes yet...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No question...but drafting requires morenthan speculation. It should be hard work and if you look at Money ball, things CAN be done to help your chances. If you look at the NFL draft, year by year, large schools dominate. So why would the JETS draft NOT at least look like the template?

There were plenty of ignored warning signs on both Gholsten and Sanchez. we ignored the lack of work ethic on Ghost and the lack of experience on both. Ghost took up football in high school.

better homework and conviction to process possibly limit the selection of some busts although we all make them.
    My point is if your scouting tells you a guy is a gonna be a good-great player, it doesn't matter what school he went to. Plenty of guys were overlooked, for whatever reasons, but it doesn't mean they aren't worthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't JPP take up football then too? Or later?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Gholston lacked work ethic? WTF are you talking about? That was NOT his problem.

Gholston was almost a no brainer pick at that position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    couldnt agree more man.. Not defending sanchez but I believe he became so bad after getting smacked around so bad last year, begining in Baltimore last year.. take look at this year vs Pitt.. He had a good 1st drive and then took a big hit, played bad rest of game, and pretty much downward from there..

We def need a tackle, and a guard.. Id like to see lineman taken in 1st and maybe 3rd or 4th round..

Whoever the next qb needs to be protected.. get the run back, will open up the pass..

O better be big focus in draft, starting with Oline.

I will sign on for this tomorrow. I want either the Joker or Mingo at 9, or trade down into the mid teens and take either of the other 2 guys preferrably Mathews because i think he can play RG if Howard continues to progress.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I think it would be worth taking a chance on Geno Smith and then taking another QB who slips to rd. 3 or 4...

Regarding Smith -

He can make all the NFL throws... Has uncanny accuracy, can read defenses, has "it", and is a stellar athlete.

I think he's got RG3 type of ability... I'll go one better, he's actually got more natural talent as a pure thrower, just a bit less polished...

I also like Glennon quite a bit as he has a great arm, but don't know where (what rd) he goes yet...
    Not at all, RG3 is a olympic level athlete, Geno is a average one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Jackson State has any Payton's.....sign me up.

there's a reason these schools don't attract draft attention year in year out.

There is always an exception....but Tanny acts like he knows better.
    Which is why Tanny is going away. I don't understand why you are even bringing this up?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

Regarding Smith -

I wouldn't waste a top 3 round pick on him.

Disagree on almost all counts. Dennis Dixon was better and he is a practice player today. More talent than RG??? Not one analyst is high on this kid. ALL were fawning for RG.

Tanny drafts based on your criteria... He hopes, he wishes, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Which is why Tanny is going away. I don't understand why you are even bringing this up?
    You are right.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    draft a clothing designer to get new sideline wear for Rex. That foolish looking vest has to go!