Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Housecleaning seems unlikely, but Jets owner remains disappointed

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Housecleaning seems unlikely, but Jets owner remains disappointed

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider
    December 29, 2012 10:33 pm ET

There isn't a more chatty, leaky, uncomfortable-headline-grabbing team in the NFL than the current New York Jets. They may be the chattiest, leakiest, uncomfortable-headline-grabbing-est team in recent NFL history.

This fact has not gone unnoticed by the owner, Woody Johnson, and he's not happy about it. Not at all, according to several league sources.

(Cue the irony of a leak saying Johnson is angry about all of the leaks.)

As the NFL braces for a Sunday night and Monday when numerous changes among front offices and coaching staffs are expected in large numbers – one team official estimated the NFL could see eight to ten teams changing either their head coach, general manager or both – the Jets will be one of the most interesting to watch.

Johnson, these sources explained, isn't just unhappy with the Jets' dismal season. He's unhappy with what he views as a franchise that can't keep its business behind closed doors.

It's possible general manager Mike Tannenbaum will be fired on Monday but what league officials are wondering is if Johnson's unhappiness with how the team is run will stop there.

Indeed, this season, or rarely any other, has a team's internal doings been so freely broadcast. From Rex Ryan's future plans in television should he be fired to Tim Tebow's refusal to run the Wildcat to any other number of stories. It's no wonder the passing of bowels was not leaked.

It was actually an amazing thing to witness. There has maybe been no team, ever, in which any number of people leaked various intensions due to varying agendas publicly. Look at al of the top franchises in football. The Patriots, Packers, Giants—there are leaks but few. The best teams have managers and coaches in place who are able to unify a franchise and keep most of the players, coaches and front office personnel on message.

The Patriots are the cone of silence. The Jets are a spaghetti strainer.

So while it still remains unlikely for a total housecleaning, it's still possible, mainly because the Jets have been a disappointment on the field. But also because Johnson wants to quiet a lot of big mouths.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...s-disappointed

Start with your HC, Woody. None bigger
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-30-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He'll be more disappointed when he stops getting,;my JET money sent to him after all these years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article truly sums up how dysfunctional and unprofessional the Jets are. I would hope that Woody would get tired of reading this in every newspaper and seeing this constantly on every sports show in America.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing keeping Rex and Tanny here are their contracts.

If Woody was really serious about getting better he would make a top candidate an offer they can't refuse and let him decide who to keep and who to fire.

We are getting held hostage by the contracts of the 3 stooges. Tanny, Rex and Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The chatty, leaking, open locker room atmosphere is a direct result from Rex. He has fostered this type of atmosphere since day one and IF Woody is really concerned about it, then Rex must go. Either that, or he needs to tell Rex to instill some discipline and hold people accountable if they step out and make the organization look foolish.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Only thing keeping Rex and Tanny here are their contracts.

If Woody was really serious about getting better he would make a top candidate an offer they can't refuse and let him decide who to keep and who to fire.

We are getting held hostage by the contracts of the 3 stooges. Tanny, Rex and Sanchez.
    Exactly. he has to suck it up here.

We need to bring in someone with Gravitas that will command respect and he needs to be given full control.

If you do that, there's a shot at long term consistency.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The chatty, leaking, open locker room atmosphere is a direct result from Rex. He has fostered this type of atmosphere since day one and IF Woody is really concerned about it, then Rex must go. Either that, or he needs to tell Rex to instill some discipline and hold people accountable if they step out and make the organization look foolish.
    Bingo! All of it! Well done sect.101..Nailed it!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree that Ryan has had an open door policy with the media, but Rex or nobody in the Jets organization should be blamed for the obsession of hatred that the media creates.

I can accept that Ryan needs to reconsider his approach, and lock things down far more than he has ever done, and I'd like him to be more stoic with the media. Rex or anybody with the Jets saw the Tebow obsession coming to the level it did. Sure, that in hindsight was a mistake.

But I remain convinced the media has created this mess far more than the team has, why? They have flip-flopped all season on who to blame for Tebow, the entire "Woody wants ratings," now it's "Woody is pissed because of how open the team was?" This all right here screams BS and that the media has been throwing darts in a big way all along.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Goodbye Rex.

We hate you.

SAR I

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Speak for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Goodbye Rex.

We hate you.

SAR I

Don't say WE. Lots of Jets fans want Tanny fired but want to keep Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankiev80 View Post
    Ugh!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I agree that Ryan has had an open door policy with the media, but Rex or nobody in the Jets organization should be blamed for the obsession of hatred that the media creates.

I can accept that Ryan needs to reconsider his approach, and lock things down far more than he has ever done, and I'd like him to be more stoic with the media. Rex or anybody with the Jets saw the Tebow obsession coming to the level it did. Sure, that in hindsight was a mistake.

But I remain convinced the media has created this mess far more than the team has, why? They have flip-flopped all season on who to blame for Tebow, the entire "Woody wants ratings," now it's "Woody is pissed because of how open the team was?" This all right here screams BS and that the media has been throwing darts in a big way all along.
    Ray, was the media all over the Jets the way they are now when Parcells was the coach? Were they that way when Herm and Mangini were coach? No, they are feeding off this atmosphere of brash talking, bold predictions, leaks from unnamed sources. This was all a result of the culture that Rex created.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

+ INFINITY.

No question it is the media that has created much of the chatter. From the NY tabloids to ESPN's daily obsession with Teblow. Of course, this is only an issue because of the season's results.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Goodbye Rex.

We hate you.

SAR I
    Hey SAR - I think its time to clean house as well - only thing holding me back is who would replace Rex? I can't fathom adding another "up and coming" coordinator to your picture....so unless we can get an established winning coach here then why bother....which leaves us to what established coach would come to this mess? I dont see any thus we stick with Rex by default....only thing worse than keeping Rex is hiring yet another coordinator that most likely wiill fail

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever think that Ryan is very responsible for the media hatred with his big mouth, constant foolish statements, foot fetish, HBO embarrassing statements and acting for the camera, interviewing before the Dallas game with a wig on to look like his equally foolish brother, the middle finger incident, poor decision making.....and the beat goes on

This circus can't end soon enough.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Ugh!
    My point is there are many Jets fans in Rex's corner. You might want him fired but my point is there are lots of fans that want stability at the head coaching position.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex is staying and should stay

excellent football coach

needs an extension

DO IT WOODY

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1.

Ignore the always over-the-top attention whore.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    why he continued to stick with people that suck and never gave anyone else a chance he is way to loyal to be a coach he can't decipher between being a friend and a coach...............rex needs to go if for nothing more than keeping eric smith as a starter for 3 seasons and then the suckchez debacle.......just because someone has some bad practices does not mean they can't perform on sunday that is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    funny really

message board football experts evaluating anything

by the way

how's that Massive PSL exodus coming along Nagel?