Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex's press conference at 4:45pm tomorrow. Looks like he is staying.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No, I don't. No one does. No one ever heard of Bill Walsh before he was made a head coach, no one ever heard of Jerry Glanville either. Rex Ryan wasn't even a blip on the hot-coaching-candidates list in 2009.

I won't put a name out there because the guy I want doesn't exist right now. Used to, in other years, but not now. We need a guy that's not a rookie, we need a guy that's an experienced NFL winner, we need a guy that commands respect from players, we need a guy who is respected in NFL circles and can assemble a great coaching staff.

Bill Cowher and Andy Reid are the only guys that come to mind. Neither will come to the Circus. So the answer is that the guy that I put my name on is "Not Rex Ryan" because we're going to wind up with another rookie even though I hate the idea. But there's a 10% chance that rookie might become the next Chuck Noll while there's a 100% chance that Rex Ryan never will.

Now go back to playing Dungeons & Dragons with your college junior dorm-mates.

SAR I
    IF Tanny and Rex are both gone, wont the circus be over?

No, I don't. No one does. No one ever heard of Bill Walsh before he was made a head coach, no one ever heard of Jerry Glanville either. Rex Ryan wasn't even a blip on the hot-coaching-candidates list in 2009.

I won't put a name out there because the guy I want doesn't exist right now. Used to, in other years, but not now. We need a guy that's not a rookie, we need a guy that's an experienced NFL winner, we need a guy that commands respect from players, we need a guy who is respected in NFL circles and can assemble a great coaching staff.

Bill Cowher and Andy Reid are the only guys that come to mind. Neither will come to the Circus. So the answer is that the guy that I put my name on is "Not Rex Ryan" because we're going to wind up with another rookie even though I hate the idea. But there's a 10% chance that rookie might become the next Chuck Noll while there's a 100% chance that Rex Ryan never will.

Now go back to playing Dungeons & Dragons with your college junior dorm-mates.

SAR I
    What's your THACO ?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL, you would think so right?

All League
    partially. I would think if Woody Silver Spoon Johnson would be a hands off owner after hiring strong management, things could develop from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31

Players have told me if Rex is fired & is hired somewhere else, they'd want to go follow him there rather than come back to the #Jets.
    Alright. Tear up their contracts, get any bonus/guaranteed $ paid back(they stole it this season anyway) leading to cap savings. Deal!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Alright. Tear up their contracts, get any bonus/guaranteed $ paid back(they stole it this season anyway) leading to cap savings. Deal!
    Of course, who wouldnt want to play for Rex?? You have a job for life. He doesnt hold anyone accountable and IF he likes you will play you regardless of talent. He inflates your value by telling everyone how great you are. I am not surprised players want to follow him.

Of course, who wouldnt want to play for Rex?? You have a job for life. He doesnt hold anyone accountable and IF he likes you will play you regardless of talent. He inflates your value by telling everyone how great you are. I am not surprised players want to follow him.
    Exactly! Club Rex.

All League
    lol we are the saddest fan base on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    lol we are the saddest fan base on the planet
    No, Chiefs/Jags/Raiders/Bills fans have us beat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mike stays.
    Rex goes.
    Mark starts.

Those are my official predictions of what will happen, not necessarily what I want to happen.

SAR I
    If that's true, why would Woody hire a recruiting firm?

You don't need a recruiting firm to find a HC if you have a GM. That's the GM's job.

Yep. It's probably the players who are going to be cut anyway; he'll hire them for his next team.

The problem is that we would really have a depth chart problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    Not necessarily.

Since no NFL team has ever used a head-hunter to find a general manager, we're on uncharted ground here. It looks like Woody is making it no-secret that he's looking for a talented replacement, but Mike is under contract and if Woody can't find a replacement he has the ability to stick with Mike.

I won't be shocked if Mike is fired tomorrow, but I wouldn't be shocked if this dragged on for months with both Mike and Rex hanging by a thread and only being booted if better options come along.

SAR I
    Need to get a GM and settle on a HC prior to the draft in April.

Jets Insider VIP

Rex has individual meetings with every player on the roster tomorrow to discuss this season and talk about the future. #nyj
    53 players.

That's gonna be one long day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Sparano Tannenbaum and Teblow go immediately

Then we hire a GM to evaluate and decide on Rex and the coaches and scouting

I hope Rex is kept as HC and extended long term
    Cavanaugh must go.

Jets Insider VIP

Players have told me if Rex is fired & is hired somewhere else, they'd want to go follow him there rather than come back to the #Jets.
    Bet my house that Eric Smith is first on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    If that's true, why would Woody hire a recruiting firm?

You don't need a recruiting firm to find a HC if you have a GM. That's the GM's job.
    Woody Johnson's job is to determine whether or not to keep Mike Tannenbaum. If he's on the fence and/or wants to do due diligence to help guide him to the right decision then retaining a search firm to help him is what would be expected.

In the case of Fortune 500 business, this would be done quietly without the incumbent knowing a search was underway for his replacement. Because this is a public business and the incumbent is under contract, it's not necessary to make it a secret. The whole world knows that Mike and Rex are under scrutiny, 50/50 to return at best, it's a bit unorthodox but it's not too far fetched to think that a process is underway and this is part of it.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    53 players.

That's gonna be one long day.
    Maybe he's telling each player that he's turning in his resignation as HC. And he's taking over Pettine's position as DC. Maybe that's why the Presser is so late in the afternoon.

I won't put a name out there because the guy I want doesn't exist right now.

So the answer is that the guy that I put my name on is "Not Rex Ryan" because..........

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

SAR I