Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets hire executive to lead search for new GM

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    No one should trust anything Woody does, BUT, we have to understand context.

First, Woody is a trustfund baby who inherited all his money. He has no sports experience whatsoever. When he bought the team Bill Parcells was in charge and recommended hiring Terry Bradway as his replacement. Mike Tannenbaum was already in the organization when Woody bought the team.

So Woody has never had to hire a "football man" on his own. Thus, the need for a search firm.
    This......... 100%

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    It says on Mr. Hughes's site that he has assisted the Packers and 49ers before so he has had experience with football teams.
    There is nothing wrong with this process. It may educate Woody as well.
    If the search committee is decent, they'll make it clear that Tanny is a problem in the hiring process.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    There is nothing wrong with this process. It may educate Woody as well.
    If the search committee is decent, they'll make it clear that Tanny is a problem in the hiring process.
    The fact that he is doing this AT ALL suggests that Woody already knows that he needs to get Tanny out.

Jets Insider VIP
    No one should trust anything Woody does, BUT, we have to understand context.

First, Woody is a trustfund baby who inherited all his money. He has no sports experience whatsoever. When he bought the team Bill Parcells was in charge and recommended hiring Terry Bradway as his replacement. Mike Tannenbaum was already in the organization when Woody bought the team.

So Woody has never had to hire a "football man" on his own. Thus, the need for a search firm.
    So I assume the Packers and 49ers are also owned by trust fund babies who.never hired a football man on their own

Because they both used the same firm and the same consultant to hire key football men.for their teams

Are John Mara and Robert Tisch trust fund babies because both were born into most of the monies they have

Jets Insider VIP
    The fact that he is doing this AT ALL suggests that Woody already knows that he needs to get Tanny out.
    GOOD

All Pro
    I guess these are the same people who told Woody to hire Jay Cross, to get the WSS built.

Woody is more out of touch with the Jet fan base, then Leon Hess was.

No wonder why Parcells wanted nothing to do with this clown.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    So I assume the Packers and 49ers are also owned by trust fund babies who.never hired a football man on their own

Because they both used the same firm and the same consultant to hire key football men.for their teams

Are John Mara and Robert Tisch trust fund babies because both were born into most of the monies they have
    LOL. The Mara family owned the Giants before John was even born and Tisch was a young man when his father bought his share. They both grew up in football.

How is that remotely similar to Woody growing up in a family owning a consumer medical products company?

As to the Packers and Niners, the Packers are publicly owned and needed to use such services and the Niners were in a bitter intrafamilial ownership battle and needed an outside source for such hiring. Again, this is a good thing for Woody to do.
    Last edited by SMC; 12-30-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    I guess these are the same people who told Woody to hire Jay Cross, to get the WSS built.

Woody is more out of touch with the Jet fan base, then Leon Hess was.

No wonder why Parcells wanted nothing to do with this clown.
    Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite. I rest my case.

All Pro
    Leon Hess hired Rich Kotite. I rest my case.
    Leon Hess had a SB ring with the Jets, Brought in Parcells and always kept Jet season tickets as some of the lowest in the League.

I agree Leon Hess messed up real bad when he fired Micheals, and hired Walton and then Kotite.

All Pro
    I applaud the move. It appears that Hughes has a good resume, and I would much rather see an experienced consultant starting the rebuild process instead of Woody.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    Leon Hess had a SB ring with the Jets, Brought in Parcells and always kept Jet season tickets as some of the lowest in the League.

I agree Leon Hess messed up real bad when he fired Micheals, and hired Walton and then Kotite.
    That ring should go to Sonny Werblin for building up that team.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL. The Mara family owned the Giants before John was even born and Tisch was a young man when his father bought his share. They both grew up in football.

How is that remotely similar to Woody growing up in a family owning a consumer medical products company?

As to the Packers and Niners, the Packers are publicly owned and needed to use such services and the Niners were in a bitter intrafamilial ownership battle and needed an outside source for such hiring. Again, this is a good thing for Woody to do.
    So neither ever had to work a day in their lives to put bread on the table because Daddy Mara owned a billion dollar NFL team and Daddy Tisch owned a billion dollar real estate firm...

In other words TRUST FUND BABIES exactly...thanks for proving my point

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I applaud the move. It appears that Hughes has a good resume, and I would much rather see an experienced consultant starting the rebuild process instead of Woody.
    This. Thats why you hire a search firm like this.

Jets Insider VIP
    So neither ever had to work a day in their lives to put bread on the table because Daddy Mara owned a billion dollar NFL team and Daddy Tisch owned a billion dollar real estate firm...

In other words TRUST FUND BABIES exactly...thanks for proving my point
    Who gives a damn? What point are you trying to make in the grand scheme of things?

One set are trust fund babies in football and the other is a trust fund baby in consumer medical products.

The Maras and Tischs knew football going in, Woody didn't. That's the point. Thus, Woody is RIGHT to hire a firm like this to help him hire a new GM.

@ken_shroy, nice snag. This might mean drastic changes. Things are looking up!

@Eckesg1 - That's great that he helped the Packers and the 9ers - before I read your post I was afraid that this guy would be another non-football guy helping to make football decisions.

@Sanchez3:16 - Totally agree with you about business being business, whether it's at the college level or the pro level.

SMC - I agree with your posts as well. But more importantly, who is the beautiful woman that's always at the bottom of your sig? I can't place her!

so the Jets decide to hire a new GM the right way, not with the impulsive approach that has got them in trouble for 40 plus years

and here come the SOJF Tabernacle Choir of Disapproval to condemn it

Just bring in Tuna, dammit

Just bring in Pollian, dammit

Just bring in XXXXX, dammit

unbelievable really
    Once again I agree with sg3, even though he doesn't care whether I agree with him or not LOL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    SMC - I agree with your posts as well. But more importantly, who is the beautiful woman that's always at the bottom of your sig? I can't place her!
    Lynda Carter, the original Wonder Woman on TV.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    They should've hired SAR since he claims to know EVERYTHING.
    SAR has no answers or solutions.

He only knows doom and how to tear things down, not rebuild them.

Funny how everyone forgets that he called for Sparano to replace Rex early in the season. LOL

Lynda Carter, the original Wonder Woman on TV.
    I can't believe I didn't recognize her! My brother had a huge crush on Wonder Woman and watched the TV show all the time. Maybe I've just never seen her in semi-profile ... without her WonderWoman suit on and the torpedoes distracting me! Thanks for telling me who she is - been driving me crazy for months.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    SAR has no answers or solutions.

He only knows doom and how to tear things down, not rebuild them.

Funny how everyone forgets that he called for Sparano to replace Rex early in the season. LOL
    Whoa, I did not know this. Pfffttt - I just released the hydraulic jack that I was cranking to elevate SAR to the top of my pedestal. Thanks

This is a good sign. Is there a single football person at the Jets right now whose opinion you respect? If you answered "no" than it appears that Woody agrees with you.

Although I hear Terry Bradway really wanted to pick Russell Wilson....

P.S. Is there anything more ridiculous than the fact that Bradway is still on the payroll. He'e like the Isaiah Thomas of Florham Park.

So does Woody need this new exec to FIRE SPARANO ? or can he do that one himself? Somebody needs to get fired. Tannenboob wont be fired - he will get a new title. Rex not getting fired. Sparano needs to get fired unless he's also willing to coach a department like special teams or O-Line. Come to think of it the Jets might not fire anybody. Sanchez might be starting come next September. No sense firing him either.