Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apparently the OL isn't important anymore

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Jets need a blocking tight end. Keller can probably be had on the cheap for a 1 year deal which is fine - let him earn his next contract wearing a Jet uniform.
    We need a blocking TE and RB. We looked so much better after getting a better blocking FB. This team seems to not value the fact that other positions outside of the OL can pick up a blitz. We can not go anther year with Cumby and Keller in 2 TE sets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We need a blocking TE and RB. We looked so much better after getting a better blocking FB. This team seems to not value the fact that other positions outside of the OL can pick up a blitz. We can not go anther year with Cumby and Keller in 2 TE sets.
    I agree 100%. Why they didn't go and get a blocking TE last off season when they knew what kind of offense they were going to run is yet just another nail in the coffin of the front office.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree on most of your points. Tanny was negligent and basically mailed it in with acquiring offensive players after he did the Tebow garbage. I would like to see the Jets sign Peyton Hillis to play FB. Blocking TEs are a dime a dozen don't know why Tanny never bothered to get one this year.

Keller is a good receiving TE when healthy. Problem was he never was this year. I think he'll be healthy next year and looking to pad his stats and get a contract. Landry was in an identical situation prior to this season and it worked out great.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I agree 100%. Why they didn't go and get a blocking TE last off season when they knew what kind of offense they were going to run is yet just another nail in the coffin of the front office.
    Tanny thought our offense was on Tim Tebow away from being dominant. I'm not even kidding.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Tanny thought our offense was on Tim Tebow away from being dominant. I'm not even kidding.
    Well, you know I love me some Tebow, and would've liked to see him start at least one game, protecting the ball, opening up the rush and making some great passes to keep the D honest but ......

----- I don't think Tebow can walk on water or quicksand. O needs revamping.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
    Ferguson and Mangold are as good as it gets at their positions. Need to upgrade the other spots INCLUDING TIGHT END. I think Keller stinks.
    Those guys have been overrated. Mangold for this year and Brick for his career.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can Brandon Moore's a$$ play defense too?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    Those guys have been overrated. Mangold for this year and Brick for his career.
    Mangold is a top 3 C in the game and DBrick just had an all time great year. He is a solid LT. Nothing overrated about him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mangold is a top 3 C in the game and DBrick just had an all time great year. He is a solid LT. Nothing overrated about him.
    Mangold is the heart and soul of this team. We clearly saw what happened last year when he didn't play and Turner was gone or hurt.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    It all starts in the trenches.
    Agreed simple but so true. We all remember Brady sitting back there the year they won he could have grilled up a burgers b/4 he was hit.

The object of the game is protect your QB and sack the other team's Qb we do neither well!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets COULD upgrade the O-line but its far from urgent. The O-line was not that bad this year. When your QB is awful it makes it tough for the Oline to run block (the defense stacks the box), yet the Jets running game was pretty solid.

Its also tough on the Oline to pass block when the WR's lack talent and never get open leaving the QB to hold on to the ball forever.

I'm always ok with drafting talented OL and DL, because you can never have enough talent at those positions, but I'm not reaching to take an OL if there is a significantly better player available at WR, LB, RB, WR. Unfortunately, there aren't any great RBs, WR's or QBs in this draft, so by default we will likely end up with OL/LB help with the 9th pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how Rex and Herm both started losing when they neglected the OL.

I would use the draft to get at least one guard and one tackle. Womack would look nice in Jets green.

That way our QB and RB drafted in 2014 have protection and holes to run through.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't say it isn't important to the Jets but not many on here are posting about it either. The OL is below average and I don't see a bright future either. I have no idea who the upcoming FA's are but the Jets need to at least get a couple of "hold the fort" guys for short term respectability.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm all for Warmack if he's available... My only gripe would be, is he truly worth that early a pick or are you guys talking about further down in the draft? I'm honestly not sure. If someone could shed some light, it would be appreciated.

The way alot of scouts are talking, he's pretty much a "can't miss" at the position.. Add him to the D'Brick/Mangold tandem, I think we'd have a nice wall in 2-3 years. He'd definitely boost our run game to his side.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I wouldn't say it isn't important to the Jets but not many on here are posting about it either. The OL is below average and I don't see a bright future either. I have no idea who the upcoming FA's are but the Jets need to at least get a couple of "hold the fort" guys for short term respectability.

We def need a guard & tackle preferably draft them.

Importance of OL can't be understated

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    We def need a guard & tackle preferably draft them.

Importance of OL can't be understated
    Personally I rather the Jets get a couple of solid veterans through FA if there are any instead of the draft if they want to be respectable next season. The OL play has contributed to the offensive debacle as much as Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    no mystery here. it all starts up front. get the oline straightened out and even sanchez could look good. the jets need to get the right side rebuilt. they need a te who can block and make some good catches.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The Jets COULD upgrade the O-line but its far from urgent. The O-line was not that bad this year. When your QB is awful it makes it tough for the Oline to run block (the defense stacks the box), yet the Jets running game was pretty solid.

Its also tough on the Oline to pass block when the WR's lack talent and never get open leaving the QB to hold on to the ball forever.

I'm always ok with drafting talented OL and DL, because you can never have enough talent at those positions, but I'm not reaching to take an OL if there is a significantly better player available at WR, LB, RB, WR. Unfortunately, there aren't any great RBs, WR's or QBs in this draft, so by default we will likely end up with OL/LB help with the 9th pick.
    That's probably true and I'm totally OK with that. If we can find a legit pass rusher, by all means - that's one of our biggest issues. But, IMO RT is a big need as well. I don't think people fully appreciate what Woody meant to our running game. He was a true road grader and a more then competent pass protector as well. Howard has been better than Hunter, but is probably more suited to be a swing tackle in reserve. If he can play Guard (he may have in Philly, can't remember) even better.

If Justin Blackmon or Trent Richardson were available this year, I'd go with them for sure. They aren't, unfortunately.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Personally I rather the Jets get a couple of solid veterans through FA if there are any instead of the draft if they want to be respectable next season. The OL play has contributed to the offensive debacle as much as Sanchez.

What free agents are available?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    We haven't been a dominant OL since Faneca. We repeatedly gave Hunter opportunities, had no depth and didn't draft any/1 in earlier rounds or sign a legitimate free agent.

Sanchez was bad, but ran for his life. Sackelroy was killed sacked 11 times.

Our line has been bad for years and is a major issue. Sparano was a former OL coach and our line was pathetic! Moore & Slauson out? Cut Ducasse he's horrible...
    I agree with this and most people just don't want to hear it. Losing Faneca and Woody really cost this team in a big way.

It's another good reason why Tanny should have been fired IMO. He never learned from his mistakes. He f*cked with Pete Kendall and replaced him with Adrien Clarke of all people. That caused us to go 4-12 in 2007. That was truly insulting to all of us fans that he would be such a cheap pr*ck over chump change.

Then, of course he cut Faneca and never replaced Woody after he retired. He drafted Ducasse, but the guy is a total bust.